No-pour water changes

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reeftank -

A small part of my current tank goals for my build is to have zero-splashing system, to keep equipment out of sight, and to make normal maintenance as clean and dry as possible, when possible.

This line of thought brought me to a memory of what has always been the bane of my existence with regards to water splashing everywhere - the water change. Typically done by siphoning out old water, mixing new, and then dumping the new mix into the display tank via 5 gallon bucket - I would ALWAYS need to have a towel on hand for the inevitable spills, dribbles, and splashes that would result on the tank, down the cabinet, on the floors from water sloshing around in transport, etc.

So basically what I need is a pump that can be used to draw the water out of the bucket on the floor and into the display. I dont know a lot about the different types of pumps, and research so far hasn't yielded much results. Thanks!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much water will you be changing at a time and how frequently? Have you looked into any of the automatic water change systems?

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A PMUP pump from Apex (no Apex needed) may be useful for this purpose. I really like that it pumps from the bottom so you could leave it plumbed near your tank or disconnect it from the plumbing and use it for other things like clearing detritus off of rock work when you're not doing a WC. It's only a 100GPH so it may take a couple minutes for your 5-gallon change but you can just leave it in the bucket and let it get most of the water out of the bucket.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @mdbannister said depends on how many gallons you want to move, how frequently and I add to that list
1. How quickly do you want the water change to occur
2. Are you buying water in 5 gallon buckets or making your own in bulk.
Side note if you want to do cheap easy change. Instead of using the standard square 5 gallon buckets everyone uses, swap to a 5 gallon plastic no spill gas can https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5-Gallon-Poly-Compliant/dp/B000W9JN4S That's what I used to use and works great to control splashing/drips. There's taller ones with two handles as well to make it easier to pick up and hold over the edge

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @mdbannister said depends on how many gallons you want to move, how frequently and I add to that list
1. How quickly do you want the water change to occur
2. Are you buying water in 5 gallon buckets or making your own in bulk.
Side note if you want to do cheap easy change. Instead of using the standard square 5 gallon buckets everyone uses, swap to a 5 gallon plastic no spill gas can https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5-Gallon-Poly-Compliant/dp/B000W9JN4S That's what I used to use and works great to control splashing/drips. There's taller ones with two handles as well to make it easier to pick up and hold over the edge

1. I intend to do a weekly water change on a RSR250 - so about 5-6 gallons weekly.
2. I will be mixing water in bulk in a 32gallon Brute.

I also will be using an ATO and reservoir - but my water-making and storage is in my basement, so I will have to lug a bucket up the stairs once a week.
The idea is to have a pump that can move the water from one container to another.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imused to do the 5 gallon bucket method. I dont like moving water around. I did aquarium maintenance for a couple years and HAD to move large amounts of water several times a day. I now mix my water next to the tank in a 32g trash can and use a pump to move the water into the tank. I am thinking of a better method that will include water storeage.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically use 3x 5 gallon buckets for my water changes and a 4th for the drain. I will drain the water one bucket at a time and dispose of it. once I have drained the proper amount, I use a small return pump that i have had forever and a day and hook it to my siphon hose. I then plug this in and fill the tank up. I move it between the buckets I am filling from. once it gets down low I move it and then top off the new bucket with the remnants from the previous. works well for me.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 20 gallons at a time with four 5 gallon buckets. I use a Quiet-One 4000 return pump that has a 3/4" barb fitting, some vinyl tubing and a hook-shaped plastic part that hangs on the tank made by CPR. It empties all 4 buckets in about 2 mins... I wouldn't use a small pump that takes forever.

As for the buckets, use the screw-on lid, Gamma Seal Lid, and you can roll a full bucket on the floor without it leaking.

mando2776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 32G brute container to mix saltwater. I have a 20 G brute for draining, I place a return pump(taam rio 2100) with 3/4 flexible tubing into display tank and power it up, drains 20G in 2 minutes. On the other end of the pump I have a 3/4 “ U-return plastic hose that I hang on the 20G brute to drain into. When I’m ready to fill tank with fresh saltwater I simply do the reverse. I place water pump in brute container with the clean water and U-return hose on rim of tank and power it up. After 2 min or so, I’m DONE! :)

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a 32g Brute. I keep a submersible pump in it. From the pump, the outlet tube runs upward inside the tank along the tank wall. About halfway up, I have a tee with a ball valve on the tee. At the top of the container, I have a bulkhead style quick connect fitting through the tank above the water line. The pump outlet line connects to this quick connect. When I mix saltwater, I turn on the pump and open the ball valve inside the container (on the outlet riser tee), which provides tons of circulation inside the container. To pump the water out during a water change, I make sure the circulation ball valve is mostly closed, connect tubing to the quick connect, and off I go. Very simple but super effective. Once set up it's very neat and self-contained. The only loose part is the tubing I use to run from the container quick connect to the sump for refilling. (The sump return pump actually refills the DT, while the mixing container pumps into the sump).

The mixing container also has a float valve with a line from my RO/DI system for refilling the container with RO/DI.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing 5 gallon changes for an eternity, use whatever flow pump i have lying around to mix the saltwater then have a dedicated fluval maxi jet connected to tubing to pump the water into the tank. Water changes take maybe 5 minutes once i've started draining out using the gravel cleaner.
marina-easy-clean-gravel-cleaner-medium.jpg

MJ.jpg

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
must be honest though, If I had everything in the basement, like it is for you and will be for me in the coming future, I would set up some plumbing to get upstairs and do all the water changes from the filtration room in the basement. I yearn for the day I can stop lugging around buckets!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a used 30 long from a buddy of mine that had a hole drilled on the bottom end for a 1 1/2" bulkhead. I used it for my diy sump. I reduced the bulkhead to a 1/2" pvc, installed a ball valve in line and drilled a hole through the floor under the sump and ran the line under the house and into the woods down the hill. Now before I do a water change I turn up my Gyres to 100%, blow off the rocks and sand with a baster and let everything get sucked into the filter floss in the sump. I have my nsw in a 20 gallon brute on wheels. I shut off my return pump and skimmer, let things settle down, remove and replace the filter floss, open the drain valve, drains about 6-8 gallons in about 30 seconds, close the drain valve, turn on the pump in the brute, fill the sump to the premarked level, turn back on the return pump and skimmer, done! 2 minutes max.

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished making a list of the stuff I need for this. I got a really cheap pump recommended from a friend helping me to get set up (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/quiet-one-pro-series-3000-317-gph-lifegard.html) and have a brute trash can on wheels for mixing my salt water in. I'll wheel the can over and pump the water into the display to re-fill. For draining, I saw a very nice video on youtube using PVC pipe and a quick connect hose to siphon water out. They made the curve of the PVC sit on the rim of the tank, and had the PVC stick into the water at the depth of where their routine water change would lower the tank to. It was on YT, so I have to wait until I get home from the school to post it. It's a pain in the butt to go around the filters at the school for YT.

mando2776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a 32g Brute. I keep a submersible pump in it. From the pump, the outlet tube runs upward inside the tank along the tank wall. About halfway up, I have a tee with a ball valve on the tee. At the top of the container, I have a bulkhead style quick connect fitting through the tank above the water line. The pump outlet line connects to this quick connect. When I mix saltwater, I turn on the pump and open the ball valve inside the container (on the outlet riser tee), which provides tons of circulation inside the container. To pump the water out during a water change, I make sure the circulation ball valve is mostly closed, connect tubing to the quick connect, and off I go. Very simple but super effective. Once set up it's very neat and self-contained. The only loose part is the tubing I use to run from the container quick connect to the sump for refilling. (The sump return pump actually refills the DT, while the mixing container pumps into the sump).

The mixing container also has a float valve with a line from my RO/DI system for refilling the container with RO/DI.
Sounds great, I’d like to see pics of your set up and the quick connectors used. Thanks.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished making a list of the stuff I need for this. I got a really cheap pump recommended from a friend helping me to get set up (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/quiet-one-pro-series-3000-317-gph-lifegard.html) and have a brute trash can on wheels for mixing my salt water in. I'll wheel the can over and pump the water into the display to re-fill. For draining, I saw a very nice video on youtube using PVC pipe and a quick connect hose to siphon water out. They made the curve of the PVC sit on the rim of the tank, and had the PVC stick into the water at the depth of where their routine water change would lower the tank to. It was on YT, so I have to wait until I get home from the school to post it. It's a pain in the butt to go around the filters at the school for YT.

You wanna be able to vacuum the sand or bottom though, not just remove water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back