No prefiltration no problem.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been years since I decided not to use prefiltration of any kind that is unless you call a skimmer some sort of prefiltration which technically I guess it is. Anyway, that not why you called by. So in other words I have no filter wool, no socks, no roller mat, nothing. I have a sump, the accompanying photograph I recently took looking at the front glass of it.
20210716_185757.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. It is a good idea to siphon detritus out of the sump once in a while when you don’t run mechanical filtration. Im also a “no sock” enthusiast. Not only are they a pain, but they filter out lots of pods and stuff That’s beneficial.
I don't bother siphoning my sump. Why do you think it's such a good idea?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus breaks Down over time turning into different pollutants. Some of which we don’t have test kits for. Basically, it will result in better water quality overall.
Not sure thats 100% correct. Detritus soon become inert. I have not read anything about detritus breaking down into anything that poses a threat after a week or two of forming.

Holmes Farley has a post saying he had several inches of detritus in his sump without causing an issue. I have not removed detritus in any of my tanks either.

BTW there are lots of things in our tank water we don't test for that isnt directly related to detritus. Even the likes of a triton test only test those that are more easily tested for. Doesn't mean they are the only things that could potentially cause issues.

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mechanical filtration for me either. I, too, siphon the accumulated detritus out of the sump, about yearly or if I get an unexpected algae bloom.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using filter socks or sponge material a couple decades ago. The detritus is arguable beneficial and perhaps essential to a reef ecosystem. The sugars that are produced in reef systems that promote pathogenic shifts in coral microbiomes are what I worry about.

Research for detritus

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279061640_2013_deGoeij_Science_Sponge_loop

Sugars cause bleaching and microbiome shifts

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure thats 100% correct. Detritus soon become inert. I have not read anything about detritus breaking down into anything that poses a threat after a week or two of forming.

Holmes Farley has a post saying he had several inches of detritus in his sump without causing an issue. I have not removed detritus in any of my tanks either.

BTW there are lots of things in our tank water we don't test for that isnt directly related to detritus. Even the likes of a triton test only test those that are more easily tested for. Doesn't mean they are the only things that could potentially cause issues.
Sprung on Detritus

Maybe it’s up for debate and we get different answers depending on who’s being asked. I will continue to remove it from my system and it seems logical to do so.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sprung on Detritus

Maybe it’s up for debate and we get different answers depending on who’s being asked. I will continue to remove it from my system and it seems logical to do so.
BRS did do some testing of detritus and its breakdown. They concluded that it mostly breaks down in the first 24hrs then with each passing day it breaks down less. Or something like that it's on their YouTube channel.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did do some testing of detritus and its breakdown. They concluded that it mostly breaks down in the first 24hrs then with each passing day it breaks down less. Or something like that it's on their YouTube channel.
That’s nice. BRS has done more damage to this hobby than anything else i can think of. i don’t consider them a source of information. i follow the hobby pioneers who don’t have a vested interest in getting youtube likes and subs.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nice. BRS has done more damage to this hobby than anything else i can think of. i don’t consider them a source of information. i follow the hobby pioneers who don’t have a vested interest in getting youtube likes and subs.
Well people will believe what they will along with the must haves like prefiltration. I guess theres little money to be made of not using any prefiltration. Been in this hobby 40 years and proved many of the experts of the day wrong. I guess that makes me a pioneer
Wonder if there is any more to be made selling detritus

Last edited:
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I undersand the formation of mud depostis on reefs being in part composted fish poop I think the sellers of mud products have beaten you to it. :D
Drat! I knew I should have got in there first 40 years ago and even sold it as coral food but nobody would believe me

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drat! I knew I should have got in there first 40 years ago and even sold it as coral food but nobody would believe me

The trials and tribulations of being before your time!

Just think were reefers would be if PaulB on bacteria, Lee Chin Eng on corals are filters and you on fish poop had been listened to all those years ago!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been years since I decided not to use prefiltration of any kind that is unless you call a skimmer some sort of prefiltration which technically I guess it is. Anyway, that not why you called by. So in other words I have no filter wool, no socks, no roller mat, nothing. I have a sump, the accompanying photograph I recently took looking at the front glass of it.
20210716_185757.jpg
Good for you!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trials and tribulations of being before your time!

Just think were reefers would be if PaulB on bacteria, Lee Chin Eng on corals are filters and you on fish poop had been listened to all those years ago!
Oh I have many more claims to fame than mere fish poop lol.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have no filters of any kind. Oh yeah, I do run a reverse undergravel filter. :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it's a typhoon. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Back