OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my tank (and myself, let's be real) a little xmas present. Just set up new Tunze MAR 3181. Threw a golf ball size ball of chaeto in and it's spinning nicely. I want to remove all the chaeto from the refugium in the next few weeks, get a better light and grow only coral in there. Got a lot of wire, etc cleanup to do (don't judge). Trying to come up with a controller rack of some kind; it's on the list... So far I'm likin' it :)
20240106_222836.jpg

Not sure this is it's final location but I'll run it while I figure it out.

Did my first major wc since setting up this new tank in Aug; ~10 gal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MAR is working great. Almost grown down to the halfway point (thickened). I knew the light would grow macro (any light will really, right?) because I use an eco chic already in the refugium, but I'm impressed with the spinning. It stopped once but I was running it at the lowest; turned it up slightly and it's spinning again and hasn't quit. This is why a light on one side works on this unit (and the driver for tumbling chaeto in a refugium). Still very happy with it :)
20240113_073818.jpg
Gonna do some testing today to see what it's doing to my water.

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One part of my strategy to battle against the GHA that's attached to my new rockwork (phosphate absorbed) is to dose SunnyX's diy CaCO₃. One dose last night after scraping glass and another this morning after blowing rocks and I gotta say it might be a game changer to my reefing journey and I don't see myself shelving this any time soon. The water clarity is amazing! I pulled my carbon yesterday before dosing as I replaced the cup with filter socks to catch the flocculent. The results speak for themselves I think (on my modest, coming along, reef). I'm just so impressed (and a little mad at myself for not jumping on this technique sooner)
20240204_201020.jpg
Also cleaned up the sump (wiring) a bit. Tried to move all controllers/electronics away from the tanks but the different lengths of wires can be a bit frustrating. All of you out there with super clean fish (room) setups, you deserve high praise. I may get there someday but not out of the box; so many more connectors needed... Better than before imo but not done yet...
20240204_202300.jpg 20240204_202315.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched this urchin eat a sizeable flake at the water surface. It happened to be near the surface when I hit feed mode and turned to the surface when the food hit the water. Watched it move the flake to the center then grab it with its mouth. Tried to grab the camera in time but it was fast! :) Neat creatures. These things eat anything!

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this purple urchin finish off this (only) patch of bubble algae in my system; on my nero ph. I'm convinced these things really do eat everything. This purple one in particular puts in work; moves quickly and gets around the tank in short order. Added a baby tuxedo yesterday to join the crew as well.
bubblealgae.jpg 20240211_104533.jpg 20240211_104558.jpg

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I like adding things as I feel they're needed. I started simple but there's a lot to do, and not just with my tank, so adding here an there to make things easier makes sense to me. Appreciate the compliment :)

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it put a dent in it but it remains. Urchin's already across the tank. Oh well. Guess I'll scrape it off like I was going to...eventually.
20240211_115956.jpg

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200.gif

20240216_173142.jpg
Just can't get over this guy. Urchins interact so much with the environment and they're mowing my algae down. Dosing some bacteria along with the coral snow now during glass/rock cleanings to hopefully take up the bare rock real estate the urchins leave behind. That's the theory in my head at least (from my interpretation of others' methods). The Starry Blenny hasn't done much for the algae...occasionally pecks here and there and is first in line at feeding time. Beautiful fish though so I cut it some slack :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Going to do a water change tomorrow (5 gal) which will be the second wc since I setup in Aug. Maybe I should have done more....:thinking-face: Not against them at all....just...still learnin. Actually considering a second DOS to do a constant/daily wc...

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't gotten around to the wc yet. Testing yesterday looked "good" to me so I'm not in a rush. I want to clean the sump and will do it this weekend.
20240227_164007.jpg

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing some blue light blocking glasses that just came. Intended for screen time not the tank but....maybe a good test? The tank looks nice anyways :)
20240229_170057.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back