No Skimmer Nano Reefs

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you nano keepers don’t run a skimmer?

What things do you do to keep nutrients down?

Also let’s see a photo of your no skimmer nano!

Last edited:

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of my nanos are the Biocube 14 and IM Lagoon 25. Both with no skimmers.

I'm actually trying to feed more as the Nitrate level is less than 5 and phosphates comes out 0 with Salifert every week :(
Have a filter pad that I replace every 3-4 days and have been doing routine water changes every week, which I think is helping keep nutrients down.

As mentioned the recent BRS video on nutrients and socks/filter rolls, I think replacing them often offsets the need of skimmers in my nano tanks!

:)

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually trying to feed more as the Nitrate level is less than 5 and phosphates comes out 0 with Salifert every week :(
Have a filter pad that I replace every 3-4 days and have been doing routine water changes every week, which I think is helping keep nutrients down.
Do you think you could slow the rate at which you change your filter pads to increase nitrate/ phosphate? Like leaving it in there for an extra day or 2? (ie changing them 1x /wk) This would let you keep feeding the same amount but not have to do much else.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No skimmer or filtration. Just live rock and water changes.

Healthy growing coral will use up nutrients. No need to complicate it.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 Nanos from 5.5 gallons to 20 gallons...no skimmers on any of them. I just do weekly water changes and feed very sparingly. For fish I only have a couple of pairs of Banggia's, a pair for each 20 gallon tank. My tanks are heavy on coral, mainly LPS/SPS.

Mawlbec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running for six months one skimmer on a 20g and do not run one on a 10g. I'd say it is not necessary however....if you happen to be plagued with low pH like me, the 20g running the skimmer hooked up to a CO2 exchange has been a great call.

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you could slow the rate at which you change your filter pads to increase nitrate/ phosphate? Like leaving it in there for an extra day or 2? (ie changing them 1x /wk) This would let you keep feeding the same amount but not have to do much else.
Yeah I tried that. It did work with nutrients.

But the problem was that as the filter pads remained longer, it would clog and move less water to the return chamber. So the ATO would kick off to balance. In the end, the salinity decreased a little and because the top off is Kalk, there were swings in Alk.

Then when I change the pads, it would take a day without top off to get to the original point and thus more swings haha

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you'll find that the majority of small nano reefers don't use a skimmer. Besides the fact that small skimmers tend to be noisy, are not all that effective and take up valuable space, there is really little need for one since frequent water changes with these small water volumes is easy and effective.

IME, no real need for chemical or mechanical filtration, either, especially once the system is mature and stable. Weekly gravel vacuuming and an occasional blasting of detritus from under the rocks (then caught in a temporarily installed filter sock which is then rinsed and stored) has worked quite well for over 12 years now on my 12g.

IMO, these little systems tend to be 'at their best when they use the least' :)

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a skimmer for over a year in my BioCube 16. Had to run it in the display as it didn’t fit in the back. It fell, took a couple corals with it and it’s been out for almost two months now. I use ClearFX Pro and Purigen to export nutrients. I also do weekly water changes. I have no problem keeping .01-.03 PO4 and 2-5ppm NO3.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer on the home for unwanted creatures 2.5. Feed mysis and benepets daily (very small amount) and change 1/2 gallon of water a week. No3 is 2-5 and po4 is .03-.05. Only a single snail and 0 algae issues.
F780443D-D97C-4C9E-A61E-9BC73C3D92A0.jpeg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone!

I’ll be posting my new nano here in a few days or so!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No skimmer on the home for unwanted creatures 2.5. Feed mysis and benepets daily (very small amount) and change 1/2 gallon of water a week. No3 is 2-5 and po4 is .03-.05. Only a single snail and 0 algae issues.
What a good idea! I have a few unwanted creatures but I don’t have the heart to kill all of them. I have one rock just like yours with a little aiptasia “garden”. Starting to wonder if I should just name all of them!
what tank are you using for this?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water changes replace a skimmer for my 10g nano.

Mawlbec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight out of Tim Burton and I love it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a good idea! I have a few unwanted creatures but I don’t have the heart to kill all of them. I have one rock just like yours with a little aiptasia “garden”. Starting to wonder if I should just name all of them!
what tank are you using for this?
A little 2.5 gallon tank, small HOB filter and a 50w heater. Lighting is a kessil a80 I had lying around. It has aip, majano, and a few hermit nems in it.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y’all should also show your no skimmer nano tanks!

Let’s see some pics!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back