View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure they can.

How old is your tank?

How many fish?

Other parameters?

Did you start with live rock or dry rock?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my tank it looks perfectly fine

image.jpg
Tanks can run at higher phos with no problem. .4 is a bit higher but .2 with softies and lps shouldn't be a problem.

If you have a sump throw some phosgaurd in to remove the phos to get it down to where you want it.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It probably is. Did you retest? Have you tried the standards to make sure it's correct?
Im doing a retest right now to check but I’m thinking it’s not wrong as the color of the vial was darker then normal

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing a retest right now to check but I’m thinking it’s not wrong as the color of the vial was darker then normal
I highly recommend the standards. They are cheap and you get a couple of spare cuvettes. PO4 will bind to the rocks and sand and then it releases when you remove it via water changes. You need to use something to lower it like ChemiPure elite or GFO.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.48 ppm phosphates isn't hard to get to. A couple of overfeeding and you can easily be past .5 ppm. For a softy tank this wouldn't be a problem at all. This only starts being a problems with SPS, more specifically Acros.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the standards. They are cheap and you get a couple of spare cuvettes. PO4 will bind to the rocks and sand and then it releases when you remove it via water changes. You need to use something to lower it like ChemiPure elite or GFO.
I'm not a fan of Hanna's standards because they're generally in the wrong range for most reefers (5dkh? why?) - but the ULR Phosphorus/Phosphate one is .4ppm, so perfect here.

This is a weird one here - generally this sort of Phosphate range is fine in tanks with a ton of corals - but I'd think with these numbers and basically no coraline, and low coral coverage, and a year in, he'd have an algae mess.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not a fan of Hanna's standards because they're generally in the wrong range for most reefers (5dkh? why?) - but the ULR Phosphorus/Phosphate one is .4ppm, so perfect here.

This is a weird one here - generally this sort of Phosphate range is fine in tanks with a ton of corals - but I'd think with these numbers and basically no coraline, and low coral coverage, and a year in, he'd have an algae mess.
The red lights are starting to go off I’m going to crank my fuge and do some water changes with phosphate

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

image.jpg image.jpg

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The numbers on the Hanna standard don't mater. If the checker is out of range, regardless of the number, it needs to be fixed. If it reads it correct at that level, then it should be correct at the usual level. He has tons of hard green algae, which will go away after he gets the nutrients in check. I had the same thing. I will never dose coralline in a bottle because of it.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The numbers on the Hanna standard don't mater. If the checker is out of range, regardless of the number, it needs to be fixed. If it reads it correct at that level, then it should be correct at the usual level. He has tons of hard green algae, which will go away after he gets the nutrients in check. I had the same thing. I will never dose coralline in a bottle because of it.
I’m having actually tons of corlaine spots growing now the only thing that gets rid of that hard alage film is my urchins

Green algae*

My urchins also avoid the purple corlaine which is awesome

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate is 5.0ppm, the only coral is GSP and it stopped growing even!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back