NO3 and PO4 are really cause algae?

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Now I continue to study marine aquarium and there is some misunderstanding, how many nitrates and phosphates should I have? I want to contain a mixed reef: simple SPS, LPS, zoanthuses and discoactinias. Some say that it is necessary to keep NO3 and PO4 at 5 and 0.1, respectively, but others argue that nitrates and phosphates should be removed from the water with the help of bacteria, skimmer and others. I want to keep corals, but at the same time without algae, how much to keep NO3 and PO4? And another question: I have an aquarium, there are filamentous green algae and corals grow poorly. Do I need to start restoring this aquarium by removing nitrates and phosphates? Thank you.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this one will get you many different answers, it will likely come down to your own experience and what levels work for your tank.

For example, I run Nitrate anywhere between 40-60ppm and my phosphate is usually around 0.13-0.2ppm. I do not have any algae in my display. Mostly SPS and Torches with some softies as well. Many would say I should have algae everywhere, but I don't.

I believe a very robust group of herbivores and an eventual total coverage of coralline algae will prevent algae from taking hold.

Sea Urchins and Tangs are the most effective in my experience. In my experience nutrients aren't a huge factor in algae issues, at least not in the long run.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Now I continue to study marine aquarium and there is some misunderstanding, how many nitrates and phosphates should I have? I want to contain a mixed reef: simple SPS, LPS, zoanthuses and discoactinias. Some say that it is necessary to keep NO3 and PO4 at 5 and 0.1, respectively, but others argue that nitrates and phosphates should be removed from the water with the help of bacteria, skimmer and others. I want to keep corals, but at the same time without algae, how much to keep NO3 and PO4? And another question: I have an aquarium, there are filamentous green algae and corals grow poorly. Do I need to start restoring this aquarium by removing nitrates and phosphates? Thank you.

The nitrate and phosphate levels sufficient for corals will also be sufficient for algae.

Generally, it's not going to work to try to starve out algae. Herbivores are more effective.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back