NO3 locked up?

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each and every Sunday morning, I do my reef tank's testing/check. NO3, PO4, salinity check, and K. My question is this, can a tank's NO3 become locked in place? I can feed heavy, feed less, more skimming less skimming, less algae reactor time more...and for the last 3 months (over 15 tests), my NO3 has always/every time came back exactly 2.5 My PO4 does and will fluctuate. Ranging from .02-.10 I use Hanna ULR PO4, and HR NO3. I am extremely careful taking the tests, is it erroring? Is that the correct ready? Maybe its that stable? Just seems odd to me.

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do a Nitrate check on your RODI water. If that also comes back at 2.5, then you know it’s the checker.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the stated uncertainty on hanna's HR NO3 test is +-2ppm, I don't think readings of 2.5 ppm are all that precise.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do fairly regular ATI ICPs and they come back in normal range......but Im going to, here over lunch, do a rodi NO3 test and see if it comes back at 0 or 2.5 :)

Thats what I am afraid of.....is running the tank at zero NO3 and get dinos....thinking I have 2.5 witht eh +/-

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do fairly regular ATI ICPs and they always comer back as zero.......but Im going to here over lunch do a rodi NO3 test and see if it comes back 2.5

Thats what I am afraid of is running the tank at zero NO3 and get dinos....thinking I have 2.5 witht eh +/-
I have some dinos they are not that bad...

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use brightwells NeoNitro for a while....but it really doesnt move my numbers......the NeoPhos is even worst. I test say, .02 phos and put in to raise it .05....it doest move it at all. So Im not sure on thier products...

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use brightwells NeoNitro for a while....but it really doesnt move my numbers......the NeoPhos is even worst. I test say, .02 phos and put in to raise it .05....it doest move it at all. So Im not sure on thier products...
Their products says on the bottle something about, if that happens then your system is carbon depleted.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use their products and don't have this issue, but I can't say why it would. I just did it this past weekend to bring up my nitrates and tested with the Hanna hr and got the results I was expecting. Could it be a testing error? Mix for 2 min exactly then sit for 7? That's strange, but I am also dosing nenitro and neophos about tri weekly currently. The nyos test is ok to dcross reference

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran the tests over lunch NO3 0 and PO4 0 on RODI water, tank water NO3 2.5 and PO4 .06 I do run carbon in a reactor for water polishing purposes....for a week once a month.......and used to dose mb7...havent in a couple of months.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran the tests over lunch NO3 0 and PO4 0 on RODI water, tank water NO3 2.5 and PO4 .06 I do run carbon in a reactor for water polishing purposes....for a week once a month.......and used to dose mb7...havent in a couple of months.
I think if your coral are looking good then you have nothing to be concerned about, just keep doing what you're doing.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neonitro label , are you adding a carbon source?

20220712_150243.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole carbon limited thing from Brightwell is a strange distraction.

"If at any time, dosing with NEOPHOS results in a prolonged increase of phosphate concentration without gradual decrease as nitrate is taken up, system is likely carbon-limited"

Most reefers are not dosing nitrate or phosphate to drive bacterial growth, and that is what is carbon limited, not corals or algae. Bacterial growth is normally carbon limited, which is why folks who want to grow more dose organic carbon.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so their warning doesn't apply to what most reefers are concerned about...their coral.

Just to clarify, I am not having ANY issues with coral. Tank looks and is running great. I just could put a 50$ bet on my NO3 results each time I perform it. Makes me laugh, then makes me think, is it that stable :) or am I missing something :)

Ya Ive seen and read their labels, I do on everything I put in the tank.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole carbon limited thing from Brightwell is a strange distraction.

"If at any time, dosing with NEOPHOS results in a prolonged increase of phosphate concentration without gradual decrease as nitrate is taken up, system is likely carbon-limited"

Most reefers are not dosing nitrate or phosphate to drive bacterial growth, and that is what is carbon limited, not corals or algae. Bacterial growth is normally carbon limited, which is why folks who want to grow more dose organic carbon.
Then on NeoNitro is says this:

“If concentrations remain unchanged, then the system is likely carbon-limited. Dose with REEF BIOFUEL at the rate of 1-ml per 25 US-gallons and allow 24-hours to elapse, then re-test phosphate and nitrate concentrations. Continue daily dosing with REEF BIOFUEL until phosphate or nitrate concentrations begin to decrease, indicating that the rate of carbon input to the system
matches the rate of phosphorus- or nitrogen-input, respectively.”

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then on NeoNitro is says this:

“If concentrations remain unchanged, then the system is likely carbon-limited. Dose with REEF BIOFUEL at the rate of 1-ml per 25 US-gallons and allow 24-hours to elapse, then re-test phosphate and nitrate concentrations. Continue daily dosing with REEF BIOFUEL until phosphate or nitrate concentrations begin to decrease, indicating that the rate of carbon input to the system
matches the rate of phosphorus- or nitrogen-input, respectively.”

Yes, IMO that’s terrible advice designed to sell products. Such dosing of organic carbon is totally unwarranted.

If N and P are not falling, why would you dose them?

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Ill just have to buy and try some NeoNitro again....I think maybe it was just stable. I did a test last night before a upcoming vacay and I got 1.9 reading. So starting to think it was just stable. NO3 was 1.9 and PO4 was .07 I bit high on PO4 due some reef roids and phyto feeding. I like to target 5 and .05

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Ill just have to buy and try some NeoNitro again....I think maybe it was just stable. I did a test last night before a upcoming vacay and I got 1.9 reading. So starting to think it was just stable. NO3 was 1.9 and PO4 was .07 I bit high on PO4 due some reef roids and phyto feeding. I like to target 5 and .05

I’d recommend food grade sodium nitrate over neonitro since the Brightwell product costs more and has no purity assurance.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something along this line, mixed with rodi water.. to make up solution?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back