NO3:PO4 -X (NOPOX) and Seachem Purigen compatibility.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To combat a surge of nitrates I have recently been dosing NOPOX.

So far I have been seeing results, but also remembered I currently and running purigen in a reactor.

Will these 2 compounds clash at all? I am seeing results, but I would like to min/max this process and not strip any chemistry I'm paying for out of the tank!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch your nutrients, you do not want to get them to low. Po4's around a .02 and your No3's around 3 to 5 ppm if you are running low nutrient system and between 4 to 15 ppm for a high nutrient system.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch your nutrients, you do not want to get them to low. Po4's around a .02 and your No3's around 3 to 5 ppm if you are running low nutrient system and between 4 to 15 ppm for a high nutrient system.

Yes, I understand that, my goal is to end up at 0.03/5 (my PO4) has been holding 0.03 for a while now - but that's not quite the info I am after. I'm more worried about the interaction between the purigen and NOPOX.

If the purigen is stripping the NOPOX then neither one are working to their best potential.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand that, my goal is to end up at 0.03/5 but that's not quite the info I am after. I'm more worried about the interaction between the purigen and NOPOX.

If the purigen is stripping the NOPOX then neither one are working to their best potential.

I have been running NoPox for around 10 months and I asked the same question about a month ago about Purigen and the consensus was its ok but don't strip the water.

I've actually added the 100g bag into my sump to see what happens and nitrates around 8ppm and just wanted to get a bit lower. it's been in about 2 weeks I think and not really noticed much difference to be honest although it clearly is taking stuff out as the colour has changed slightly.

If I were you and starting out with NoPox, I would take out the Purigen as it may stop the NoPox working properly. I'm just 'experimenting' with the Purigen in small quantities, but it's had no adverse effects so far but I would think if your running both 'full on' you may get problems with the NoPox which is basically fancy carbon dosing.

Just watch your phosphates as I've found the NoPox controls Nitrate but wouldn't bring the phosphate anywhere near 0.03. Mine crept up to 0.16 and then I had to start running Rhowaphos to sort that and currently <0.03. I can also now feed my fish more so their most happy!

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running NoPox for around 10 months and I asked the same question about a month ago about Purigen and the consensus was its ok but don't strip the water.

I've actually added the 100g bag into my sump to see what happens and nitrates around 8ppm and just wanted to get a bit lower. it's been in about 2 weeks I think and not really noticed much difference to be honest although it clearly is taking stuff out as the colour has changed slightly.

If I were you and starting out with NoPox, I would take out the Purigen as it may stop the NoPox working properly. I'm just 'experimenting' with the Purigen in small quantities, but it's had no adverse effects so far but I would think if your running both 'full on' you may get problems with the NoPox which is basically fancy carbon dosing.

Just watch your phosphates as I've found the NoPox controls Nitrate but wouldn't bring the phosphate anywhere near 0.03. Mine crept up to 0.16 and then I had to start running Rhowaphos to sort that and currently <0.03. I can also now feed my fish more so their most happy!

Thanks for the anecdotal evidence - I don't see a reason the Purigen would strip it. I was using it as a "water polisher."

As far as nutrients, I have seen my nitrates go from 50 ppm to 25ppm in one weeks time - so I am keeping an eye on it. My PO4 has stayed consistent - at the 0.00-0.03 level per Salifert which is fine for me. At some point I will get some other test kits to verify results, but I never had a reason to doubt them before.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note to the above - I originally got into this bind from a period of HEAVY feeding of frozen and nori to accommodate the acclimation and addition of an additional zebrasoma tang to tank with an existint already dominant one - a gamble I know - but after a few hours of occasional tail slapping they settled.

I say this to throw in a disclaimer (because 25ppm in a week is sort of not a thing, I have read) so that result is most likely a combination of returning to reasonable feeding and the start of NOPOX.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could Purigen stop NOPOX from "working"? It won't bind the organics in NOPOX from the low concentrations present in a reef tank after dosing.

I agreed - I couldn't find a reason to think that this would happen - but when doing the deep dive on google - the proverbial "some people" have stated varying degrees of compatibility from it's fine all the way to total inoperability.

I am a neophyte in the school of reef chemistry so I wanted to make sure I was covering all my bases. Thanks for the black and white.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreed - I couldn't find a reason to think that this would happen - but when doing the deep dive on google - the proverbial "some people" have stated varying degrees of compatibility from it's fine all the way to total inoperability.

I am a neophyte in the school of reef chemistry so I wanted to make sure I was covering all my bases. Thanks for the black and white.

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand that, my goal is to end up at 0.03/5 (my PO4) has been holding 0.03 for a while now - but that's not quite the info I am after. I'm more worried about the interaction between the purigen and NOPOX.

From reading all the way down you pretty much have your answer. If you want to know for sure, Contact Seacheme. From reading it look like there is not allot of experience with purigen and NoPox.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Randy gives it the green light, so do I.

All ahead, full.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a beginner reefer, I had a nitrate spike, was already using a 100gm bag of purigen in my reefer 170. I killed a birds nest, and meteor shower coral. Started dosing nopox and my nitrates hang around 3 to 5. My once bleached Monti cap is coming back to life. Everyone looks happy. As a side note, my phos was high as well, probably because of new rock, added Chemipure elite as nopox takes a while to get phos under control. I have had success even though I'm not following the directions

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a beginner reefer, I had a nitrate spike, was already using a 100gm bag of purigen in my reefer 170. I killed a birds nest, and meteor shower coral. Started dosing nopox and my nitrates hang around 3 to 5. My once bleached Monti cap is coming back to life. Everyone looks happy. As a side note, my phos was high as well, probably because of new rock, added Chemipure elite as nopox takes a while to get phos under control. I have had success even though I'm not following the directions

The end justifies the means, eh?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my previous tank I used nopox with purigen and noticed no side effects and purigen did not seem to make a difference to nopox

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back