Nobody seems to use the nicrew hyper reef led's, I'm looking at the 50w lights

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of reviews on the Nicrew Hyper reef LED.s. Alot have PAR readings also, I'm looking to get 2 50w with controller for a 40g breeder, but will probably get 2 100w for it. $250 for lighting sounds good. Its basically the same controller that Kessil uses.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking at 2x 100W Nicrew + controller, you might consider 2x 95W SmatFarm as another option. (Lights are about the same price but SmatFarm has built-in controls and remote)

*I ran Nicrew 50W and Kessil A80, both through older Kessil controller on my 40 breeder for a while and it worked but later switched to better, matched lights.
...never actually used the SmatFarm but reviews seem good so just an idea

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nicrew 24-30” Reef light with the programmer build into the cord. Not impressed with the light output, it looses the Time of Day with the slightest flicker of power. Also it’s 24Vdc so I can’t plug it into my 12Vdc Power Supply Cabinet.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15g nano and am between the nicrew 50w and the noopsyche

I originally had Smatfarm in the list but read about some unhappy owners

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15g nano and am between the nicrew 50w and the noopsyche

I originally had Smatfarm in the list but read about some unhappy owners
Have you checked out 21LEDUSA Lights? Great setup with using their SunSetter Control. No Fans, WiFi or Bluetooth to Fail, 12Vdc, and have a high waterproof rating on their strips. The only reason I went with the Nicrew, was they were out of the ReefBars Pro’s in the size I needed.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out 21LEDUSA Lights? Great setup with using their SunSetter Control. No Fans, WiFi or Bluetooth to Fail, 12Vdc, and have a high waterproof rating on their strips. The only reason I went with the Nicrew, was they were out of the ReefBars Pro’s in the size I needed.
I only recently heard of these and they seem to be mounted in a canopy, which my 15g downer have

However, I have a 32g JBJ Nano Cube in my garage I was thinking about starting up. It’s older and has Power Compact lighting, and whole researching upgrades I came across the 21LED product and was considering them for this application

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nicrew is a good budget light if you want to just turn it on and off. If you want the controller to get fancy, then the cost of light + controller makes it just as expensive as a brand name light.

I just got the 100w nicrew for my 32 gallon, I did not research it properly because I would have selected a different light if I had known. Otherwise, it is a good light and I like the colour it puts out.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used these J channels to Mount the 21LED https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N4BHZVZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
image.jpg

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nicrew is a good budget light if you want to just turn it on and off. If you want the controller to get fancy, then the cost of light + controller makes it just as expensive as a brand name light.

I just got the 100w nicrew for my 32 gallon, I did not research it properly because I would have selected a different light if I had known. Otherwise, it is a good light and I like the colour it puts out.
To change the spectrum you need the controller, other wise you just have the presets, plus I would need 3 kessil A80 minimum, or 2 A360 lights thats a huge cost, I have 2 kessil A80 lights now, and wont buy them again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nicrew 24-30” Reef light with the programmer build into the cord. Not impressed with the light output, it looses the Time of Day with the slightest flicker of power. Also it’s 24Vdc so I can’t plug it into my 12Vdc Power Supply Cabinet.
looking at the hyper reef led, not the strip lights

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will check them out

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

That's a different light than what OP is referring to. The "hyper reef" lights are great. I'm running 16 of them over 3 different systems. Love em!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Plenty of reviews on the Nicrew Hyper reef LED.s. Alot have PAR readings also, I'm looking to get 2 50w with controller for a 40g breeder, but will probably get 2 100w for it. $250 for lighting sounds good. Its basically the same controller that Kessil uses.

I'm very well versed with these lights. Depending on what you intend to grow you may very well be just fine a couple of 50w'ers. If you want the ability to grow anything we have the ability to keep in our aquariums then go with a pair of 100w. Mount them sideways. That way you get adequate coverage front to back.

Fwiw, I have some that are controlled with the kessil controller and some that are controlled with the nicrew controller. I don't care about lightning simulations and being able to dial insettings to 1%. The 5% that you can do with the nicrew controller works just fine for me.

Larry_In_Missouri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very well versed with these lights. Depending on what you intend to grow you may very well be just fine a couple of 50w'ers. If you want the ability to grow anything we have the ability to keep in our aquariums then go with a pair of 100w. Mount them sideways. That way you get adequate coverage front to back.

Fwiw, I have some that are controlled with the kessil controller and some that are controlled with the nicrew controller. I don't care about lightning simulations and being able to dial insettings to 1%. The 5% that you can do with the nicrew controller works just fine for me.
Are the NIcrew lights adequate for sps? Can they be used in a mixed tank of sps, lps, shrooms and fish? What mounting height would you recommend for sps in a standard 120g tank? Are their any other "bargain" LED lights that you think comparable to the Nicrew? Philzon? Viparspectra?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran them for a bit on a mixed 4' 120g (two of the nicrew 150's) I just didn't care for the lack of channel fine control. They can grow sps just fine, btw. I was running @ 7" at about 50% power on both channels. Ended up going to smat farm lights and now trying out the a7's (Kessil 360x knockoffs).

I've used a few of the name brand lights over the years (mainly AI Hydra 26/52's) and at this point the chinahut knockoff stuff is catching up quality and longevity wise. The only 'brand' light that catches my eye as of now is a reefi uno.

Larry_In_Missouri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran them for a bit on a mixed 4' 120g (two of the nicrew 150's) I just didn't care for the lack of channel fine control. They can grow sps just fine, btw. I was running @ 7" at about 50% power on both channels. Ended up going to smat farm lights and now trying out the a7's (Kessil 360x knockoffs).

I've used a few of the name brand lights over the years (mainly AI Hydra 26/52's) and at this point the chinahut knockoff stuff is catching up quality and longevity wise. The only 'brand' light that catches my eye as of now is a reefi uno.
Do you perhaps have the Smat Farm lights on the 120 you referenced? If so, the spacing, height, etc. Have you taken any PAR readings inside the tanks with any of the lights you mentioned?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time I did a par check on the smat farm lights... Numbers are in red on the photo. Shave approx 25% on the par numbers without the T5's and light bars across the board. Those lights were running @ 50% more or less. 7" canopy, so lights were 6" off the surface.

par.jpg

K&S Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running 2 Nicrew 150s on my 120. These are some easy Sps coral growth. One is one month growth. The other is 5-6 months growth.

Attachments

• A5C72DF8-DF42-45D6-A638-C89A283E3EAB.jpeg
    A5C72DF8-DF42-45D6-A638-C89A283E3EAB.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 62

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back