noisy overflow, cut teeth?

Valgae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank plumbing is done. Using the bean animal overflow. It is as claims-completely silent. Except for the overflow box. Thinking about cutting the teeth off or down. Doing so will bring the water level down about 1/4". The waterline will still be hidden. Will this help the noise?

Spsnut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4E45CE1B-DF54-4097-A512-7965F88E6231-122-0000001EEEED154B.jpg

I cut mine down. I run full syphon either modified Herbie or bean depending on how much water I want to pump. You're probably running a custom overflow box not a stand like I; I run open bulk heads at the bottom for the syphon with standpipes for the back ups. I need to keep the water high in the boxes or the water falls too far and makes noise.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how cutting the teeth will fix this. Why not just close the gate valve a bit to raise the water level in the box?

Spsnut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut mine because I knew that the stock slotted weir wouldn't handle my pump, and I prefer an over the top.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how cutting the teeth will fix this. Why not just close the gate valve a bit to raise the water level in the box?

+1...I did this on my new tank and it definitely reduces the noise. I won't go away completely but you can get it pretty quite.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my overflow to be completely silent with a bean-animal. You need to do two things:
1. Raise the emergency pipe to be even with the bottom of the slots (or maybe 1/8" taller)
2. Close the gate valve on the main siphon drain to raise the water level to almost the bottom of the slots.

Now you don't have a loud high pitched "trickle sound", and you can clearly hear your wife complain about the stinky tank! the noise comes from the streams that come throught the gaps falling too far to the water surface.

Yay!

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 raise water level in overflow the splashing you hear is when water hits the water in your overflow not from the going over through teeth...JMO

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back