Noisy Skimmer advice needed

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a reef octopus classic 152 and it’s quite noisy. I have hoses coming in from the outside for fresh air into the intakes and it makes it a little better but the noise is coming from the pinwheel mixing the air up. If I restrict the water intake it quiets down but that minimizes the skimming so don’t think that’s an option. Any suggestions other than getting a different brand? What brands would be equivalent and known to be quiet?

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea 300 skimmer is very very quiet with my co2 scrubber attached, a bit noisy with the stock silencer though.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a reef octopus classic 152 and it’s quite noisy. I have hoses coming in from the outside for fresh air into the intakes and it makes it a little better but the noise is coming from the pinwheel mixing the air up. If I restrict the water intake it quiets down but that minimizes the skimming so don’t think that’s an option. Any suggestions other than getting a different brand? What brands would be equivalent and known to be quiet?
How long have you had it running for? Did you get it new?

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you have cleaned the pump etc?

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you have cleaned the pump etc?
I will be doing that this weekend, but it seems to be the mixing of the air/pin wheel. If i block the air flow, it goes silent and if I minimize the water going into the pump it also gets quiet. Its not crazy loud but definitely not silent. its the only piece of equipment that you can clearly hear. Reminds me kinda of white noise.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back