Non-contact sensor issues

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using these NC sensors with reef-pi / Robotank.

Edit: guess Amazon links dont work....its a XKC-Y25V named

Taidacent Non Contact Liquid Level Sensor Contactless Water Tank Water Level Sensor for Tank Water Level Control with Low and High Level Output​

I have them setup properly and they work. My rodi tank one works to notify me when it needs refilling. However, the ones actually controlling an ATO / high sump / low sump have issues due to the nature of a sump vs clean rodi tank.

If my sump has any film on it (even a nearly spotless side wall) it does not detect when water is missing. I tested by pulling out cups of water to drop the level of the sump and it was about 2 inches lower than the edge of the sensor and still thought there was water present. The second I wiped the inside of the sump with a paper towel to clean the film, it triggered as missing water.

Note: My acrylic sump sidewall is only about 1/4" thick.

Is this a common theme with all NC sensors or did I just buy crappy ones? I am ordering regular old float switches to setup as those are tried and true with all the homemade ATO's ive made.

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s unfortunate … the ones I found on Amazon.com have an adjustment screw behind the back cover, have you tried that ? You might need to make them a bit less sensitive, so they don’t get triggered by the film itself.

6914f48e-e1bd-4631-bf28-c41ba013989a.__CR0,0,750,750_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back