Noob Let's try that again

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first go around at this whole saltwater thing was loaded with classic beginner mistakes. I tried using used inadequate parts from CL and piecing it together the ultra cheap way (without the experience needed to manage that), the rock scape left much to be desired as well as plenty of dead spots, then I got anxious, overloaded it with too many fish too quickly and inevitably the whole thing crashed.

So, minus the shrimp and the live rock I'm starting fresh. I smashed up the oversized rock pieces so they were easier to work with, got some low end but adequate LEDs, new power filter (worrrrlds quieter btw), added a powerhead, introduced two clowns 3 weeks ago who are happy and hungry, water looks good, and I introduced a cheap zoa frag this morning because I'm feeling lucky. I'm also going to up the water changes to once a week and slowly begin spacing them out as the tank allows. I figure that frequency will eventually settle around once every two weeks.

Any thoughts, insight, criticism?
photo (4).jpg

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeling lucky

That only works a few times in this hobby. Patience is the key and if in doubt just use the search button here or post a question. Took me 15 years to learn how well that works. :)

Setup looks fine right now. Are you using test kits? How is your flow with the pump pointing up? I usually prefer pumps facing the glass or directly on the rocks depending on power.

OP
OP
R

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using test kits. my ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are slowly working their way down, as are the phosphates. The first go around had some of those levels pretty high, but everything seems to be stabilizing nicely. I'm not sure how I feel about the powerhead facing upward. I put it near the top to get better oxygen exchange (as mentioned in a book), but the movement through the water column isn't wowing me. It probably would do a better job keeping SS suspended better. I'm curious how the increased gas exchange of having it facing upwards fairs vs the increased water movement of pointing it downward.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for increased water movement which will also keep your rocks and sand cleaner. The oxygen exchange will happen on it's own at the surface.

How often did you do water changes on your last try? Your new water change schedule will solve a number of the previous issues.

OP
OP
R

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pointer. It actually makes a visible difference on the water movement, and I suppose the oxygen exchange coming from the HoB filter is plenty. Also the clowns seem to be big fans of siwwiming in the added current. They're curious little guys.

OP
OP
R

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...also, for my water changes, I was doing 2.5 gallons at three week intervals. Now I'm at 5 gallons weekly. Nitrates still seem to spike a little bit between water changes but that again comes back to frequent water changes until the system reaches more of an equilibrium. I imagine it's still trying to process the leftovers.

I'm also debating setting up a sump, but I'm not sure if it's a worthwhile investment for such a small system. I also don't know what the best overflow/pump system would be since my unit isn't pulmbed and it's only 20 gallons.

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ten gallon sump on my 20 gallon and I am very pleased. I purchased a eshopps nano overflow box and a small return pump (cant remember which one at the time). You could add a refugium in the sump that would add to your natural filter. I actually have a CPR refugium on my sump, it was on my display before adding the sump so I decided to go ahead and keep it, just on my sump. One of the best purchases I made for this setup was my MP10. I love it! There are 0 dead spots. They are a little pricey, but if you watch, you can get them for under $200 from time to time. I also have a GFO reactor on my system to help with the removal of phosphates, it may not be necessary, but I like the added filtration. Good luck with everything!

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id also recommend getting rid of the HOB filter, those things are out dated and really only usefull for freshwater tanks. Get a small HOB protien skimmer, for that size tank you should be able to find a descent size skimmer for 50-60 bucks, My coralife HOB 65 skimmer was only $100 and some change, or try spacing out the rocks some more for fewer dead spots, try cliffs, overhangs, caves and towers, good for reducing deadspots, and another small powerhead on the opposite side would help. Other than that goodluck!

OP
OP
R

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear the sump seems worthwhile, although I have dropped quite a bit of money getting it to where it's at, so that may have to wait a month. I just boosted the cleaning crew today. cleaner shrimp and a few hermits, bringing me to (1) pep, (1) big turbo, (3) hermits and (1) cleaner. Hopefully that should keep everything ship shape. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be checking this thread in a few weeks when i put aside a few bucks to do the sump.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back