Noob mistake, return pump not properly replaced

Finn1018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was doing my water change, and accidentally did not fasten the return pump tight enough. It ended up splashing into my coral life biocube 32 led light, and flooding the compartment. I luckily noticed it after it had poured like 5 gallons onto my floor and the surge protector started to smoke. Unplugged everything and noticed the led light compartment was filled with white water. My led light is fried, but some of this white water got into my main tank. It’s been 3 hours, fish and coral seem to be okay. I know this white water could be sediment. It could also be corrosion or chemical from the battery? :( I’m just not sure. What do I need to watch out for. Or am I in the clear?

OP
OP
Finn1018

Finn1018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked water parameters right after, and everything seems ok

OP
OP
Finn1018

Finn1018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I did test alk. My alk is 8.2. Noticed the white led panel is now blotchy yellow in some spots. So it could of also been the paint?
The led light works in some places, but other places are fried. The battery actually doesn’t seem to be corroded now that I look at it. The little mother board chip looks like it’s going to rust

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the military we would rinse any electronics soaked in saltwater with distilled water as soon as we could to stop corrosion. Distilled water will not conduct electricity. You might be able to save the light or damage may already be done. Saltwater shorts out electronics due it is a great conductor of electricity.

OP
OP
Finn1018

Finn1018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the military we would rinse any electronics soaked in saltwater with distilled water as soon as we could to stop corrosion. Distilled water will not conduct electricity. You might be able to save the light or damage may already be done. Saltwater shorts out electronics due it is a great conductor of electricity.
This is great info! Thank you. But I think it’s GG for the led light. Some of them are dead and others are pooping colors I’ve never seen before. The mother board thingie I believe was for schedule setting, but that doesn’t work anymore. I’ve contacted coral life to see if anything could be done. Otherwise going rimless and getting myself an ATO.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running activated carbon then from there I would keep an eye on the coral and prepare to run another water change.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back