Noob question and opinion.

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new here but I have ben reading this forum for a while. Two Impressions.

I signed up finally today (whoohoo) and noticed a bunch of "welcome" replies and then the people who welcomed me all thumbed up each other. Nothing wrong with that, but a couple of people asked about my tank and when I replied, silence :oops:From my prospective I'm assuming people are only welcoming and posting to get the badges? Feels insincere or disingenuous at best.

Also, I noticed a few drama posts lately and it seems every time that happens someone jumps on and claims that the poster is a previously banned person and/or don't believe them. How can it be that that many previously banned people are getting un-banned and posting drama? It gives the appearance that someone is just banning or discrediting people because they dont like what they say and if that's the case, what's the point of a forum?

I have a lot of knowledge to give and am sure I have much to learn, but don't know if here is the right place if censorship is king, or no one really cares about anything but getting badges.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I don't interpret things that way, but that's the beauty of the forum- you're free to get as much or as little from here are you want! There's always multiple explanations for the customs or culture of a community, even a forum- it's important to recognize that there is both value in having an outside perspective as well as trying to understand and learn the customs of the community before forming an opinion. It might just turn out that your views on cencorship/welcoming to earn badges might have alternative explanations ;)

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R glad you joined!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually suggested in your Meet & Greet thread you may want to start a build thread and share your system(s) with the group there. The M&G forum is historically just that...a place for people to offer a warm welcome to the site.

There is a plethora of topic specific forums to discuss just about anything related to this hobby and to ask specific questions. I believe you'll find plenty of willing and able folks to help along the way when needed.

I hope you find your place here and look forward to you sharing your knowledge with the membership.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost track of a lot of posts I've originally commented on, or have had notifications go to spam. That being said there are probably people who just comment for a badge, but I feel the majority do mean it.

OP
OP
N

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I don't interpret things that way, but that's the beauty of the forum- you're free to get as much or as little from here are you want! There's always multiple explanations for the customs or culture of a community, even a forum- it's important to recognize that there is both value in having an outside perspective as well as trying to understand and learn the customs of the community before forming an opinion. It might just turn out that your views on cencorship/welcoming to earn badges might have alternative explanations ;)
That could very well be, but those impressions are what forms the community and it's culture ;) Insinuating that I lack understanding and labeling me as an outsider is not only offensive, but reinforces my original post. But thanks for the foot on my neck.

For example, if I read between the lines and paraphrased what you just posted:

Thanks for your opinion, but you're and outsider and don't understand they way things work here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I actually suggested in your Meet & Greet thread you may want to start a build thread and share your system(s) with the group there. The M&G forum is historically just that...a place for people to offer a warm welcome to the site.

There is a plethora of topic specific forums to discuss just about anything related to this hobby and to ask specific questions. I believe you'll find plenty of willing and able folks to help along the way when needed.

I hope you find your place here and look forward to you sharing your knowledge with the membership.
Thank you

OP
OP
N

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost track of a lot of posts I've originally commented on, or have had notifications go to spam. That being said there are probably people who just comment for a badge, but I feel the majority do mean it.
Thank you for your honest reply, it is appreciated.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could very well be, but those impressions are what forms the community and it's culture ;) Insinuating that I lack understanding and labeling me as an outsider is not only offensive, but reinforces my original post. But thanks for the foot on my neck.

For example, if I read between the lines and translate what you just posted:

Thanks for your opinion, but your and outsider and don't understand they way things work here.
I think I was very kind and neutral in my reply. I'm not quite sure why you think I was trying to hide a double meaning or label you as an "outsider". I don't know where you got the perception of an "in group" or "out group", but at this point, I clearly offended you and struck a nerve. Whether you believe it or not, I really wrote that message with nothing but kindness and friendship and a acknowledgement of the importance of outside opinions with a simultaneous bid for you to learn more about the forum- which I can only hope you would call "our forum" one day. In any event, I hope you find what you are looking for and if anything is coloring your perception of my messages, I hope it resolves and you can experience completely peace and happiness!

Cheers!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lack of a thumbs up to your post is probably because it was a question rather than a helpful comment, someone welcoming someone else is a good thing to do, so gets a thumbs up...anyway that’s how I work the thumbs up.

The banned situation I think you are confusing what might be happening, I don’t think anyone is getting unbanned and posting, but maybe someone that was banned previously is making a different account to start posting again, to get around the ban.

As for all the banners, no idea how that works, I applied for one myself for my build but never got one so yeah I’m lost on those.

OP
OP
N

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lack of a thumbs up to your post is probably because it was a question rather than a helpful comment, someone welcoming someone else is a good thing to do, so gets a thumbs up...anyway that’s how I work the thumbs up.

The banned situation I think you are confusing what might be happening, I don’t think anyone is getting unbanned and posting, but maybe someone that was banned previously is making a different account to start posting again, to get around the ban.

As for all the banners, no idea how that works, I applied for one myself for my build but never got one so yeah I’m lost on those.
Thank you for the explanation. I actually wasn't compalining about the lack of thumbs up for my post, but was confused as to why all those people would thumbs eachother up, if that makes sense? Just makes it seem like people are trying to post for a reward like a badge or something else I don't know about. Sorry if I was confusing.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@NakedReefer , their are no in crowds and such, we are all just a bunch of people with this crazy hobby. I hope you do find your place here. :)

@Reef. , you can get your build thread badge by following the thread below.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...As for all the banners, no idea how that works, I applied for one myself for my build but never got one so yeah I’m lost on those.

Well you now have your build thread banner....lol. But it is something you can do as described above.

To all...here is a breakdown of the banners if interested. It probably needs an update but it will give you the basics.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all...here is a breakdown of the banners if interested. It probably needs an update but it will give you the basics.

LOL, I didn't know what all of those banners meant! As far as greeting new members, I don't necessarily "greet" everybody (maybe I should?). I look at the new poster's story, and if it resonates with me, I try to respond...always with a personal message of some sort.

OP
OP
N

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was very kind and neutral in my reply. I'm not quite sure why you think I was trying to hide a double meaning or label you as an "outsider". I don't know where you got the perception of an "in group" or "out group", but at this point, I clearly offended you and struck a nerve. Whether you believe it or not, I really wrote that message with nothing but kindness and friendship and a acknowledgement of the importance of outside opinions with a simultaneous bid for you to learn more about the forum- which I can only hope you would call "our forum" one day. In any event, I hope you find what you are looking for and if anything is coloring your perception of my messages, I hope it resolves and you can experience completely peace and happiness!

Cheers!
Yes, it's my fault :rolleyes:. Sorry, but I have little patience for semantics.

Wishing you well, but let's part ways my friend.

OP
OP
N

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but my last post begs another question:

Is there a way to ignore people, I can be reactive and would rather result to ignoring?

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but my last post begs another question:

Is there a way to ignore people, I can be reactive and would rather result to ignoring?

I would hope you wouldn't find that necessary, but it is an option. Simply click their user name and you'll see an ignore button. I have no intentions of ignoring you, but I used your account as an example to show you below.

Screenshot_20200531-182458_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
N

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
I would hope you wouldn't find that necessary, but it is an option. Simply click their user name and you'll see an ignore button. I have no intentions of ignoring you, but I used your account as an example to show you below.

Screenshot_20200531-182458_Photos.jpg
Thank you. I would rather filter out than get in trouble or banned for reacting. I find all forums have a few people that consistently post elitist or inane stuff, easier to ignore than engage for me personally.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you now have your build thread banner....lol. But it is something you can do as described above.

I did say in my post I applied for one but never got it, I did originally follow that link... but yeah thanks for my banner!

Back