Noobie starting a Red Sea Reefer tank need help!

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone
Sorry for the long write up ahead of time!

New to R2R and and my only experience is a 60 gal FW tank I had about 15 years ago. Fell in love with corals and SW fish when I started scuba diving on our honeymoon 3 years ago. We have a 2 your old boy who’s obsessed with fish and sea life and a 2nd baby on the way May 8. So lots happening in our lives and I’m looking to add more to it. I live in Toronto Canada so having a piece of the sea at home will make the 9 months of crappy weather more bearable.

I’ve been reading lots and the more I read the information overload is getting a bit intimidating. I’m a dreamer so I know I want the Reefer 750 but having seen some of your incredible setups and even more elaborate water making systems I now know I’m nowhere ready for that challenge. Mostly due to lack of experience and the big jump in pricing.

I started by looking at a BioCube, then feel in love with RSR system and said then let’s look at a 170, then I saw the 250 and it wasn’t big price difference (until I realized I need two lights and lighting prices) then by the time I was into the 250 the 350 was only a short hop over and would let my wife have a small tang without committing to a bigger tank in the near future.

So I’m stuck now. The 750 is in the future and I don’t know if the 350 and 750 together at that point will be a lot of work and expensive to keep simultaneously. I also don’t know if being a beginner the challenge of dealing with a bigger tank is what I should get into.

So I need a reality check. If the advice is get a 170 or 250 and just save up for a 750 down the road I’m prepared for that.

I am no big rush. I am a patient person most of the time. I want to cycle for 6-8weeks or longer given that we have a baby coming in May and then add inverts then add some fish and don’t think I’ll be into corals for at least 1-2 years. And I’ll be happy with simpler LPS being my ultimate goal with the smaller tang and think about SPS for the 750 in the future.

My local retailer of course is trying to sell me the biggest setup they can and justifying that the larger system is more stable and easier to mange. I know theoretically it’s true. I don’t know about reality. I’m willing to go into a bigger system if I could break down the costs over a few months as opposed to a big wad of cash upfront.

I need help with my setup. The biggest decision being SIZE the following are the other items

1. Return pump (I want DC pump that’s quiet and reliable) willing to upgrade down the road if that’s what it takes to go to a larger tank)
2. Lighting. (The more I read the more I get confused. Some of you have really complex setups. I assume for SPS growth. I’m not going there but the store was trying to sell me Radion XR30 but after realizing I’m not going to blow the bank they suggested AI Primes that are on sale for about $185USD $249CDN
3. Wavemaker. (I know they are easy to add or change later, they are trying to an MP40 to me that’s quite pricy but the sales rep is racing that it’s his go to on his 250g reef at home.
4. Installation. I’m pretty handy but new to all this. They are telling me I should have them install it. I’m not adding livestock for a long time so I don’t know what I would mess up in install
5. Water. I have a water softener for my whole house and have RO drinking water system that makes 25g per day according to the rep that sold it to me but I have a mineralizer adding calcium and magnesium after the RO because I don’t like the taste of straight RO water.
6. Skimmer (they talking about a reef Octo 110)
7. Extra goodies (reactors/controllers etc I don’t know anything about but I assume that’s all advanced stuff for later)

Help!?! Lol

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go with the bigger tank and be super patient (probably one of the hardest things to do when you're new to reefing). If you start with dry rock, the tank will cycle in about a month or so but in reality it'll take 6 months-ish for it to be somewhat mature before adding coral. Between starting out and that 6 months, the tank doesn't really need light so you can save up during that time. Even when you start buying lights, you won't need to buy all at one time. Just buy a section at a time.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Almost) everyone makes the same choice early on and go small and end up upgrading and upgrading... I'm one of those people :)

I went from a 40g to a 90 cube to a 180 and back to a 120. Now I'm at a 156g + frag tank. :) The latest system is here to stay.. No changes for me anytime soon.

My perspective on systems is that it is a lot easier to learn on a small tank. Weekly 15% water changes on a 40g are much easier than on a 200g system. However, if you have the space, parameters can be more stable on a larger tank. With that said, you've got your heart set on the 750.. so you know you'll upgrade and you'll never get back what you paid into your smaller system (and with two kids... you wont have time haha).

As far as equipment, my recommendation would be an ATI fixture if you like T5's or if you go LED, you have tons of options. I have heard great things about AI Primes and Radions; however, there are some fantastic reef tanks here using the Ocean Revive T247's (along with a lot less features and program-ability).

If you are not ready to jump into MP40's, you can certainly start with something less expensive like the Jebao PP's; however, you'll replace them more often (and sometimes within a year) and will likely end up moving to ecotech at some point. Personal choice to make. I use both the pumps listed above on my display. 2x MP40 and 2x PP15.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I forgot to mention. SPS reef tanks have much different requirements that a fish-only or softies and lps tanks. You may not need all the flow or higher PAR lights up-front; however, purchasing the right equipment early will definitely save you money down the line.

Food for thought.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what you have going on. 2 yr old and new baby coming...

Don’t go too big... 4ft tank should be a good choice. I’d go with 350 for now and see how you can work that out. Great choice & nice balance for all the equipment. Cost will not be out the door either with all the upgrades.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what you have going on. 2 yr old and new baby coming...

Don’t go too big... 4ft tank should be a good choice. I’d go with 350 for now and see how you can work that out. Great choice & nice balance for all the equipment. Cost will not be out the door either with all the upgrades.

Probably more realistic than my thought process.. I'm thinking "How am I going to upgrade with 2 kids under 4... go big now" haha

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the size tank you want (and can manage with a baby), otherwise you will upgrade and upgrade and spend more money. Its not worth if, if you realllllly want that 750, save up and wait for it.

That being said, I personally started with a number of nano tanks and found them to be easier to take care of compared to my RSR 250.

For equipment and other size considerations, figure out what fish and corals you want/like. Then research their requirements and compatibility. That should be a good starting point to ensure you can size the tank and get the right equipment to take care of them. I say all this and this is everything I didn't do, so overwhelming when you start. Take a walk around the LFS and ask about the fish and coral you like. Ask about nutrient export methods - water changes, refugiums, scrubbers, algae reactors, dosing. See what techniques grab you.

OP
OP
XLOR8T

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I forgot to mention. SPS reef tanks have much different requirements that a fish-only or softies and lps tanks. You may not need all the flow or higher PAR lights up-front; however, purchasing the right equipment early will definitely save you money down the line.

Food for thought.

Thank you!

OP
OP
XLOR8T

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the 750 is a long way away. Even the water changes are a big mission. Between 250 and 350 I think is where my sweet spot is going to be. Is there any lights I can use for now until I get the corals. Something that looks nice?

And what DC pump is going to quiet and reliable and controllable enough to make sure I’m not pushing too much flow thx

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the 750 is a long way away. Even the water changes are a big mission. Between 250 and 350 I think is where my sweet spot is going to be. Is there any lights I can use for now until I get the corals. Something that looks nice?

And what DC pump is going to quiet and reliable and controllable enough to make sure I’m not pushing too much flow thx

Light is depending on corals. From what I’ve read from posts on R2R, ppl go for LED’s and then to Hybrids. Just one quote,check out @crabs_mcjones did with his Kessil’s

I use kessil as well. Btw they are on sale rite now. So AP700 or 2 360’s

For LPS and SPS they will be a good spread for 4ft tank at 6inches and 75%. If you upgrade later to hybrids for a better spread then use Aquatic Life 48 inch fixture. Check out BRS ULM edition for more details. Btw buy once and keep the thought process of upgrade in mind.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone
Sorry for the long write up ahead of time!

New to R2R and and my only experience is a 60 gal FW tank I had about 15 years ago. Fell in love with corals and SW fish when I started scuba diving on our honeymoon 3 years ago. We have a 2 your old boy who’s obsessed with fish and sea life and a 2nd baby on the way May 8. So lots happening in our lives and I’m looking to add more to it. I live in Toronto Canada so having a piece of the sea at home will make the 9 months of crappy weather more bearable.

I’ve been reading lots and the more I read the information overload is getting a bit intimidating. I’m a dreamer so I know I want the Reefer 750 but having seen some of your incredible setups and even more elaborate water making systems I now know I’m nowhere ready for that challenge. Mostly due to lack of experience and the big jump in pricing.

I started by looking at a BioCube, then feel in love with RSR system and said then let’s look at a 170, then I saw the 250 and it wasn’t big price difference (until I realized I need two lights and lighting prices) then by the time I was into the 250 the 350 was only a short hop over and would let my wife have a small tang without committing to a bigger tank in the near future.

So I’m stuck now. The 750 is in the future and I don’t know if the 350 and 750 together at that point will be a lot of work and expensive to keep simultaneously. I also don’t know if being a beginner the challenge of dealing with a bigger tank is what I should get into.

So I need a reality check. If the advice is get a 170 or 250 and just save up for a 750 down the road I’m prepared for that.

I am no big rush. I am a patient person most of the time. I want to cycle for 6-8weeks or longer given that we have a baby coming in May and then add inverts then add some fish and don’t think I’ll be into corals for at least 1-2 years. And I’ll be happy with simpler LPS being my ultimate goal with the smaller tang and think about SPS for the 750 in the future.

My local retailer of course is trying to sell me the biggest setup they can and justifying that the larger system is more stable and easier to mange. I know theoretically it’s true. I don’t know about reality. I’m willing to go into a bigger system if I could break down the costs over a few months as opposed to a big wad of cash upfront.

I need help with my setup. The biggest decision being SIZE the following are the other items

Help!?! Lol

The thing with big tanks is that they can quickly become a 'chore' and not a hobby. Sure the stability is great, but when you have problems, they are also big. I ran a 350 gallon system for years before shutting it down and buying a Red Sea 525xL and being perfectly happy with the size and system. Its big enough to house the fish I want to keep, but tank maintenance doesnt take a whole day on the weekends. I would seriously consider a 250/350 as a happy medium. The footprint gives you lots of options and the sump area is big enough to work in without getting all tangled up. The bigger tanks are nice, but can simply be overwhelming.

All of these suggestions are assuming that you are not going with the 750

1. Return pump (I want DC pump that’s quiet and reliable) willing to upgrade down the road if that’s what it takes to go to a larger tank) Reef Octopus Varios line seems pretty good. I have and use a Ecotech Vectra M1, which is more than enough for a 350, though you could easily run a manifold off of it with no issues. Most of the bad reviews around the Vectra's revolve around the L1 and its overheating issue. Ive not had any major issue with the M1, and the issue I did have was handled quickly and without issue by ecotech. If you like the idea of everything being controlled by one system, the Neptune COR pumps are also an option. I would not skimp out on a return pump.

2. Lighting. (The more I read the more I get confused. Some of you have really complex setups. I assume for SPS growth. I’m not going there but the store was trying to sell me Radion XR30 but after realizing I’m not going to blow the bank they suggested AI Primes that are on sale for about $185USD $249CDN. You can grow SPS with any light. What you want to look for is full coverage of your tanks footprint. Radions are great, AIs are great, SBReefLights are great, T5s are great, MH are great. They all grow coral - set a budget then look at your options. For a 250/350 for SPS, I would want 3 AI Primes, but I would rather get the Hydra 26s, because they would offer better coverage front to back. An ATI Sunpower fixture would also do well, and if you really like the LED look, you could either add a LED strip, or go with the hybrid fixtures that let you have both.

3. Wavemaker. (I know they are easy to add or change later, they are trying to an MP40 to me that’s quite pricy but the sales rep is racing that it’s his go to on his 250g reef at home. Tunze are a great midpriced entry with FANTASTIC support and warranty. Ecotechs are nice, but I wanted something that was a bit more manueverable within the tank, and I didnt like the "earmuff" look. Some people refuse to have any wires in the tank - if so, then Ecotechs are the way to go. I also really like Maxspect Gyres for the Reefers - but thats just a personal opinion.

4. Installation. I’m pretty handy but new to all this. They are telling me I should have them install it. I’m not adding livestock for a long time so I don’t know what I would mess up in install. Anyone can put together the Red Sea line of tanks. If you can put screws into holes, and can follow directions, there's no issue. Even the plumbing is pre-assembled, you just have to push it into the bulkhead and tighen the nut. The only hurdle, usually, is getting the tank to your place. And stairs....

5. Water. I have a water softener for my whole house and have RO drinking water system that makes 25g per day according to the rep that sold it to me but I have a mineralizer adding calcium and magnesium after the RO because I don’t like the taste of straight RO water. I would suggest, if you already have an RO unit, looking at Spectrapure or BRS for an add on to your existing system that you can add a DI resin bed. Flip a diverter so you can make your RO/DI water for your tank, then flip the bypass back so you are back to having just RO for your house. That one seems pretty straight forward.

6. Skimmer (they talking about a reef Octo 110) Look at the footprint of the skimmer and the room you have available in the sump. Depending on your set up, you may have all kinds of things sharing that space, and it could get cramped fast. RO has a pretty good track record for skimmers, so the brand is likely fine. If you dont mind a little project, the small skimmer from Avast Marine gives you a really nice skimmer for a fraction of the cost, because you get to build it yourself. I used their larger skimmer on my 350 gallon system for years and it worked phenominally. I've owned a lot of brands, and my recomendation is find one that fits the footprint of your sump, and one that is easy to disassemble, so you dont have to rip it all out when it comes time to clean it.

7. Extra goodies (reactors/controllers etc I don’t know anything about but I assume that’s all advanced stuff for later) An ounce of planning is worth it in this case. Think hard about what type of nutrient management system you are going to implement. This is going to really determine what you will require for the tank. Zeovit is different than Triton, which isnt the same as biopellets, which is different from an algae turf scrubber or a refugium. Those are the things that take up space quickly. Once you have that part figured out, a lot of the other decisions will sort themselves out pretty quickly. If you need room for Carbon/GFO reactors, then you know you need a more narrow skimmer or a manifold and/or another pump. If you need a refugium - well, thats going to be "interesting" to fit in the sump area of those tanks. If it were me, I would figure that out first, then look at tank size, equipment, etc.

I have an Apex and I love it, but its not necessary to have a successful tank. Many people get by with just cheap timers and power strips. If you go that route, I would suggest looking into the DJ Powerstrips, which are like a souped up power bar, that also gives you easy access to turning on and off equipment, even with wet hands. I use one for my QT setup. There are lots of things that a reef controller can do, but its not for everyone. I like that I can access my reef from my phone and can track everything thats going on with it with the push of a button.

I hope this helps a little bit. There's lots of solid advice out there. I would suggest searching the forum for reefs you like the look of, and then see how you could emulate that. From there, things should start falling into place. :D

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The thing with big tanks is that they can quickly become a 'chore' and not a hobby. Sure the stability is great, but when you have problems, they are also big. I ran a 350 gallon system for years before shutting it down and buying a Red Sea 525xL and being perfectly happy with the size and system. Its big enough to house the fish I want to keep, but tank maintenance doesnt take a whole day on the weekends. I would seriously consider a 250/350 as a happy medium. The footprint gives you lots of options and the sump area is big enough to work in without getting all tangled up. The bigger tanks are nice, but can simply be overwhelming.

1. Return pump (I want DC pump that’s quiet and reliable) willing to upgrade down the road if that’s what it takes to go to a larger tank) Reef Octopus Varios line seems pretty good. I have and use a Ecotech Vectra M1, which is more than enough for a 350, though you could easily run a manifold off of it with no issues. Most of the bad reviews around the Vectra's revolve around the L1 and its overheating issue. Ive not had any major issue with the M1, and the issue I did have was handled quickly and without issue by ecotech. If you like the idea of everything being controlled by one system, the Neptune COR pumps are also an option. I would not skimp out on a return pump.

2. Lighting. (The more I read the more I get confused. Some of you have really complex setups. I assume for SPS growth. I’m not going there but the store was trying to sell me Radion XR30 but after realizing I’m not going to blow the bank they suggested AI Primes that are on sale for about $185USD $249CDN. You can grow SPS with any light. What you want to look for is full coverage of your tanks footprint. Radions are great, AIs are great, SBReefLights are great, T5s are great, MH are great. They all grow coral - set a budget then look at your options. For a 250/350 for SPS, I would want 3 AI Primes, but I would rather get the Hydra 26s, because they would offer better coverage front to back. An ATI Sunpower fixture would also do well, and if you really like the LED look, you could either add a LED strip, or go with the hybrid fixtures that let you have both.

3. Wavemaker. (I know they are easy to add or change later, they are trying to an MP40 to me that’s quite pricy but the sales rep is racing that it’s his go to on his 250g reef at home. Tunze are a great midpriced entry with FANTASTIC support and warranty. Ecotechs are nice, but I wanted something that was a bit more manueverable within the tank, and I didnt like the "earmuff" look. Some people refuse to have any wires in the tank - if so, then Ecotechs are the way to go. I also really like Maxspect Gyres for the Reefers - but thats just a personal opinion.

4. Installation. I’m pretty handy but new to all this. They are telling me I should have them install it. I’m not adding livestock for a long time so I don’t know what I would mess up in install. Anyone can put together the Red Sea line of tanks. If you can put screws into holes, and can follow directions, there's no issue. Even the plumbing is pre-assembled, you just have to push it into the bulkhead and tighen the nut. The only hurdle, usually, is getting the tank to your place. And stairs....

5. Water. I have a water softener for my whole house and have RO drinking water system that makes 25g per day according to the rep that sold it to me but I have a mineralizer adding calcium and magnesium after the RO because I don’t like the taste of straight RO water. I would suggest, if you already have an RO unit, looking at Spectrapure or BRS for an add on to your existing system that you can add a DI resin bed. Flip a diverter so you can make your RO/DI water for your tank, then flip the bypass back so you are back to having just RO for your house. That one seems pretty straight forward.

6. Skimmer (they talking about a reef Octo 110) Look at the footprint of the skimmer and the room you have available in the sump. Depending on your set up, you may have all kinds of things sharing that space, and it could get cramped fast. RO has a pretty good track record for skimmers, so the brand is likely fine. If you dont mind a little project, the small skimmer from Avast Marine gives you a really nice skimmer for a fraction of the cost, because you get to build it yourself. I used their larger skimmer on my 350 gallon system for years and it worked phenominally. I've owned a lot of brands, and my recomendation is find one that fits the footprint of your sump, and one that is easy to disassemble, so you dont have to rip it all out when it comes time to clean it.

7. Extra goodies (reactors/controllers etc I don’t know anything about but I assume that’s all advanced stuff for later) An ounce of planning is worth it in this case. Think hard about what type of nutrient management system you are going to implement. This is going to really determine what you will require for the tank. Zeovit is different than Triton, which isnt the same as biopellets, which is different from an algae turf scrubber or a refugium. Those are the things that take up space quickly. Once you have that part figured out, a lot of the other decisions will sort themselves out pretty quickly. If you need room for Carbon/GFO reactors, then you know you need a more narrow skimmer or a manifold and/or another pump. If you need a refugium - well, thats going to be "interesting" to fit in the sump area of those tanks. If it were me, I would figure that out first, then look at tank size, equipment, etc.

I have an Apex and I love it, but its not necessary to have a successful tank. Many people get by with just cheap timers and power strips. If you go that route, I would suggest looking into the DJ Powerstrips, which are like a souped up power bar, that also gives you easy access to turning on and off equipment, even with wet hands. I use one for my QT setup. There are lots of things that a reef controller can do, but its not for everyone. I like that I can access my reef from my phone and can track everything thats going on with it with the push of a button.

I hope this helps a little bit. There's lots of solid advice out there. I would suggest searching the forum for reefs you like the look of, and then see how you could emulate that. From there, things should start falling into place. :D

Excellent details...

OP
OP
XLOR8T

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Incredible detail thank you!

I think I’m leaning 350 now with more reading.

I like the apex and having seen what it’s capable of but it’s a big ticket item. How do I know about compatibility of items with it so I can make that to get item in a few months.

At this point I have to get a return pump for sure. The wave maker, starting lights I don’t mind starting with say 2 and then adding 1 or 2 more when my light needs increase. Again lights can wait until I cycle my tank.

Refugium is not going to be practical in a 350 sump with skimmers etc unless I use the ATO reservoir (again it’s rather small) and get in to some custom work with another ato solution. Based on my very basic reading once I’m at the stage of needing more I’m looking to go with a dosing pump not a reactor. Just trying to pick the right skimmer. Do I get octo 110int or go bigger like 1000int. Am I getting bigger performance out of a bigger unit on the 350

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back