Noopsyche lighting setup question- connecting the light to my app using my home wifi network.

GoddessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an issue keeping the Noopsyche connected. I am receiving an error: Connected to device. Can't provide internet. Could this be a security issue? With this error, I constantly have to switch my network to use my phone. I also tried to connect my laptop to the app but was very unsuccessful since the app is not on the Play Store and has to be installed using apk. Any thoughts on that? Maybe I am doing something wrong. Thanks Everyone.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an issue keeping the Noopsyche connected. I am receiving an error: Connected to device. Can't provide internet. Could this be a security issue? With this error, I constantly have to switch my network to use my phone. I also tried to connect my laptop to the app but was very unsuccessful since the app is not on the Play Store and has to be installed using apk. Any thoughts on that? Maybe I am doing something wrong. Thanks Everyone.
There's a string of issues with wifi connection. I just use AP mode, but that does mean switching your phone wifi every time you want to make an adjustment. Maybe @Zach B can direct you to the people that know how to troubleshoot wifi.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app (last I checked) was complete garbage and very poorly written. It does not save raw IP addresses in ist settings, but rather saves the IP info along with the Wi-Fi SSID. So even if the mobile device is on the same subnet, but a different SSID, it will not connect. Furthermore, when you switch (or drop) networks, you must go through the whole cumbersome connection process again.

Why do you need a regular connection once your schedules are set, if I may ask?

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a string of issues with wifi connection. I just use AP mode, but that does mean switching your phone wifi every time you want to make an adjustment. Maybe @Zach B can direct you to the people that know how to troubleshoot wifi.
The chipset does not play well with many APs. There really is not much to troubleshoot. It either works or doesn’t. That, and I am rather confident that internal hardware revisions changes on a whim based on parts availability per manufacturing batch. Different production runs have different oddball issues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GoddessReef

GoddessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app (last I checked) was complete garbage and very poorly written. It does not save raw IP addresses in ist settings, but rather saves the IP info along with the Wi-Fi SSID. So even if the mobile device is on the same subnet, but a different SSID, it will not connect. Furthermore, when you switch (or drop) networks, you must go through the whole cumbersome connection process again.

Why do you need a regular connection once your schedules are set, if I may ask?
Hi, Thank you for responding. The KP WIFI does not connect automatically or stay connected if I do not have the app open. Bc of this my schedules does not display or start. When I am connected the the KP WIfi, I do not have internet at all!! So, I disconnect it and connect my 2.4g internet and immediately my schedules are disconnected. I hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AP mode with my Noopsyche lights. Very simple to connect and make changes as needed. Wifi is a total pain in the behind and isn't worth it. As Beananimal mentions, once the lights are set, there isn't a reason to poke at the schedules unless you are ramping up intensity. And Beananimal's K7 profile generator makes changing spectrum or intensity a breeze. Thank you for creating that tool!

Upvote 1

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bc of this my schedules does not display or start.
This is a hardware bug - see what I mentioned above about undocumented hardware (and likely firmware) revisions.

Several other people have reported this issue recently with new fixtures.

When I am connected the the KP WIfi, I do not have internet at all!! So, I disconnect it and connect my 2.4g internet and immediately my schedules are disconnected. I hope this makes sense.
Yes - the app is garbage. But the bigger issue is the schedules not saving and running. You need to open a ticket. I am not sure where or how to do that. I think they only do support through facebook now or something. I am not sure about the US distributor or if they can help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GoddessReef

GoddessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AP mode with my Noopsyche lights. Very simple to connect and make changes as needed. Wifi is a total pain in the behind and isn't worth it. As Beananimal mentions, once the lights are set, there isn't a reason to poke at the schedules unless you are ramping up intensity. And Beananimal's K7 profile generator makes changing spectrum or intensity a breeze. Thank you for creating that tool!
Sorry for the confusion. I am using AP mode... I got it to connect to the KP wifi following the instructions, but I cannot keep it connected bc I can't get internet access. Once I connect my phone to my internet at home, I lose the connection within the app and my schedules turns off.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - the schedules should save on the device - but apparently some people have hardware that will not save the schedule. Open a ticket with their support.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GoddessReef

GoddessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hardware bug - see what I mentioned above about undocumented hardware (and likely firmware) revisions.

Several other people have reported this issue recently with new fixtures.

Yes - the app is garbage. But the bigger issue is the schedules not saving and running. You need to open a ticket. I am not sure where or how to do that. I think they only do support through facebook now or something. I am not sure about the US distributor or if they can help.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lights also, and when I get a successful connection, I also get that same message, " not connected to Internet" but it IS connected to the light and I'm able to make changes. But then when I'm done, yes you have to go and reselect your actual Internet.

I agree the app is a total pain. Even more of a pain when you have multiple lights, they don't all like to play together and you'll have to use different devices to control them. I have one mini on my phone, another mini and a pair of the big lights set up on a tablet. They also lose the connection over time and if it's been a while, i'll have to redo the set up process. But they will keep the previous setting.

However, I don't adjust my lights often, and I really like them otherwise. Good par for the money.

Upvote 0

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. So to clarify, the steps you are taking are:
1. Connect to AP mode using mobile device
2. Launching NP app, clicking the avatar, selecting AP Connection, then Save
3. Selecting the light profile you want to be used
4. Clicking Save and closing the NP app
5. Disconnect from NP AP mode and switching back to home Wifi

And if this is yes, does your light function per the schedule you programmed?

Yes, you will not be able to see the schedule and spectrum, but this isn't necessary as the light should store the program.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is insane is that I was able to bang together the QR code generator in Javascript with little knowledge of the light. It would take an experienced programmer a day to build an app that is 100x better than what they have now.

I offered them a bullet list of issues and improvements that were somewhat not optional fixes last year when I built the app. Instead of fixing the app, they just linked to my profile generator from their website. Lazy.

Also having to DIY your own repairs with shipped parts, etc. is kinda crazy. I think the lights are good, but I took mine down and replaced the with GHL MItras. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GoddessReef

GoddessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. So to clarify, the steps you are taking are:
1. Connect to AP mode using mobile device
2. Launching NP app, clicking the avatar, selecting AP Connection, then Save
3. Selecting the light profile you want to be used
4. Clicking Save and closing the NP app
5. Disconnect from NP AP mode and switching back to home Wifi

And if this is yes, does your light function per the schedule you programmed?

Yes, you will not be able to see the schedule and spectrum, but this isn't necessary as the light should store the program.
No, my schedule does not function after I reconnect back to my home wifi.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GoddessReef

GoddessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is insane is that I was able to bang together the QR code generator in Javascript with little knowledge of the light. It would take an experienced programmer a day to build an app that is 100x better than what they have now.

I offered them a bullet list of issues and improvements that were somewhat not optional fixes last year when I built the app. Instead of fixing the app, they just linked to my profile generator from their website. Lazy.

Also having to DIY your own repairs with shipped parts, etc. is kinda crazy. I think the lights are good, but I took mine down and replaced the with GHL MItras. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.
Definitely a hassle I don't have time for. I'm super annoyed and when I received the arm, parts were literally all over the place. The packaging was low-end for sure.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back