Noopsyche vs AI

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 20Long nem tank a few months back ago and tossed a cheap amazon light on it. While it puts out enough light, the spectrum just isn’t there. The light doesn’t blend well and my nems look like crap if they aren’t directly under the blue leds.

So my question is mainly for the the ones who have gone to the newer Noopsyche lights. Are they worth it? Are you still happy? How’s the color blend and overall look in the tank?

I was first thinking about either 2 AI primes or even the new hydra 32s. I have a ton of AI primes on my 75 display and love them.

For the price, I could probably toss two Noopsyche lights up. Trying to keep this around $500 mark or less.

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have these lights... once you set it up.. its great....
my corals are growing :)

BUT ...... i wish it had an app.. you have use the controller and that is VERY lacking ....

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is stick with what works AI. The prime 16’s are dope and you can always add to your lights and get a third if you need it. I have 3 on a reefer 250 and would not change a thing. For 418 you got both and I don’t think you would have any issues with coverage. And I upgraded from the old prime HD’s and on those like the 16’s I don’t get any disco

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had to choose between the New ai tgat are bluetooth for cost id probably go noop.
As an app is great and all but they removed the ability to control from a distance, which means still need to be home, and its not like a actually reprogram my lights often enough to need an app. Just like being able to turn off when away, if temp warning comes on my phone.
now with the old ones being wifi. Id stick with the old ones for the above reason.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could get my hands on barely used original prime HDs this would be a no brainer. I keep hearing some negatives on the new 16hds. Loud and app issues. Though I don’t really care about an app, I’m more of a set it and forget it person.
I do like that I already have tons of presets and I know exactly which I’d choose for this tank.

hardest part of this hobby, choosing lights lol.

I like that I can get two Noopsyches for the price, which would be overkill I think on a 20Long Nem tank. But they could be used for when I want to upgrade that tank.

tough choices. Thanks everyone for the input so far!

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m jumping on board. What do you Noopsyche pros think? One or two over a 20 Long Nem tank?

30long by 12 wide by 13 deep.

I’m thinking one is plenty. Would two give everything a serious sun burn?

rock structure is more centered now.
8DDA8AE8-B914-4389-971F-E592118AFEFB.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m jumping on board. What do you Noopsyche pros think? One or two over a 20 Long Nem tank?

30long by 12 wide by 13 deep.

I’m thinking one is plenty. Would two give everything a serious sun burn?

rock structure is more centered now.
8DDA8AE8-B914-4389-971F-E592118AFEFB.jpeg
I vote 2.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you have the tank mount? Can it be submerged? The one I have now was painted steel and couldn’t be. This one looks like a heavy duty plastic. Just trying to figure out mounting options.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's powder coated steel.

I would say one and elevate it for spread. On that shallow of a tank PAR will still be good.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one just now. I’ll test one out, can always add another. Need to test par on other tank anyways so I’ll rent a meter and see what we are working with.

Thanks everyone. Update to follow!

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is hooked up. Now if I can figure this thing out. Think I have everything set right time and schedule wise.

just need time to play with color percentages at each interval. I reduced everything in the LPS setting by 1/2 of what it came loaded with. Worried I would fry my nems if I started there.

I’ll have to search the forums later and see what PAR people are getting with one light at the LPS settings. At least until I rent one myself to check.

overall though seems like a nice light. Instructions were poor but I figured it!

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine who is very well perceived in our local reef community swears by the noopsyche. He has them on his 75 gallon. I'll include a pic of some wd he has been growing with them. The color is amazing and I promise it looks like this in person. Point being is that based off his success I would have no qualms about using the noopsyche on your tank.

IMG_27561.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like being able to turn off when away, if temp warning comes on my phone.
now with the old ones being wifi. Id stick with the old ones for the above reason.

Does that happen often? If the lights overheat often enough that it’s a real concern when you’re away, that’s a big knock against the light design

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tender most expectations until the NS has been out for a while. Lots of new LED products are all the rage when introduced only to find that most have issues shortly down the road. I am sure that NS will be no exception. It will take a while for them to get everything sorted and then the next generations will come quickly and fix most of them.

If you remember the most recent example, people swore by and loved their Atlantik's and then they started to have issues. Orhpek fixed them, but they still had growing pains.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably seem like a noopsyches shill, but I'm almost a year in with them and I have no issues with them. The biggest complaint seems like the learning curve for the controller. The faster you soon it, the bigger the number jump is. My schedule is in my build thread if you wanna check it out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back