Nopox and Leather Corals

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed that their leather corals are no looking good after prolonged use of Nopox? I discontinued use a few days ago and am doing water changes daily.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leathers like the vodka / vinegar mix. Maybe yours dont like the sugary stuff.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be known....I was using more that the recommended dose for the last few weeks. 3 x 20 gallon changes, over the last 3 days on my 120 and the leathers are looking "fuller" but no polyps.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers will periodically close up and often shed. I've had some in past tanks close for more than a week.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will. But ALL of them at the same time, in various and separate areas in the tank? I am convinced it was continuous use of nopox and as I said, I am guilty of using more than the recommended dose, for a prolonged time. I do have an effective skimmer.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not. My nitrates are sky high. I am relatively certain that the cause was double dosing nopox for an extended period of time. I ceased nopox the day of this post, did a 20 gallon change-on a 120-for 3 days in a row and everything came back yesterday.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using nopox to diy nopox for at least 5 years probably longer and never had an issue with any leathers. My tank is soft coral dominated.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using nopox to diy nopox for at least 5 years probably longer and never had an issue with any leathers. My tank is soft coral dominated.
Yes but I would guess at the recommended dose, or probably less. I am not criticizing nopox; my issue, is that at the normal dose, my nitrates were not budging, so instead of 12 ml, was using 20 every day. The root of my nitrate problems, you may ask? Lots of rock that is almost 30 years old, overstocked fish tank and overfeeding. Funny thing though, the tank looks great, no nuisance algae and the fish are happy. I added a Tunze macro algae reactor and am hoping this makes a difference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not. My nitrates are sky high. I am relatively certain that the cause was double dosing nopox for an extended period of time. I ceased nopox the day of this post, did a 20 gallon change-on a 120-for 3 days in a row and everything came back yesterday.

I wouldn’t be convinced NOPOX itself is hurting them. I’d look for other causes.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I have experienced this in a year or so and the second time that after a few days stopping nopox and some water changes, that the corals came right back. They are 100% now, with no changes, other than ceasing nopox and some small water changes. I blame myself entirely, as I was using twice the dose, every day, for weeks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I have experienced this in a year or so and the second time that after a few days stopping nopox and some water changes, that the corals came right back. They are 100% now, with no changes, other than ceasing nopox and some small water changes. I blame myself entirely, as I was using twice the dose, every day, for weeks.

maybe. I’m not convinced. There is nothing magic about organic carbon doses. People use all sorts of doses without harming leathers.

Dj Emcee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe. I’m not convinced. There is nothing magic about organic carbon doses. People use all sorts of doses without harming leathers.
Does NoPOx effect fish? I heard it depletes the oxygen in the tank and after a weeks worth of use my nitrates are lowering but my fish are dying ... i lost 3 anthias 2 clowns 2 gobbies 3 cardinals and Duncan’s

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does NoPOx effect fish? I heard it depletes the oxygen in the tank and after a weeks worth of use my nitrates are lowering but my fish are dying ... i lost 3 anthias 2 clowns 2 gobbies 3 cardinals and Duncan’s

I seriously doubt it is from lack of O2 if you have decent aeration, but reduced oxygen is a byproduct of organic carbon dosing.

Dj Emcee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt it is from lack of O2 if you have decent aeration, but reduced oxygen is a byproduct of organic carbon dosing.
So that still could be whats killing my fish... my corals seem to be thriving but fish going one by one and the gills seem to be moving in over deive

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dosed some and my leather closed up A few minutes after dosing. Googled to see if it happened before and ran into this thread.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back