CO2 scrubber troubles

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening everyone, so after much crap, I got my skimmer hooked up to a small Ice Cap CO2 scrubber today, and that did not go goood at all. I don’t know if I have too much media in the scrubber or what, but the skimmer did not function properly at all with the scrubber hooked up. It only produced minimal bubbles, and did not even really kick into gear. So for now I disconnected the scrubber and went back to just skimmer until I get this figured out. Any and all help would be awesome, and much appreciated.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening everyone, so after much crap, I got my skimmer hooked up to a small Ice Cap CO2 scrubber today, and that did not go goood at all. I don’t know if I have too much media in the scrubber or what, but the skimmer did not function properly at all with the scrubber hooked up. It only produced minimal bubbles, and did not even really kick into gear. So for now I disconnected the scrubber and went back to just skimmer until I get this figured out. Any and all help would be awesome, and much appreciated.
This caused the skimmer, which is a Reef Octo HOB 2000 to run with what seemed maybe a quarter of its normal power. I could really use some help with this.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm. Maybe the scrubber is restricting the skimmer air flow too much. 1st guess Either the scrubber is clogged somehow. 2nd guess the HOB skimmer is too small to run the co2 scrubber. How much water did you put in the scrubber?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel anything (suction) when you put your finger on the scrubber input port? Shoild feel something and hear it as well. There's an in and an out port. Make sure you have the skimmer on the out port

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Maybe the scrubber is restricting the skimmer air flow too much. 1st guess Either the scrubber is clogged somehow. 2nd guess the HOB skimmer is too small to run the co2 scrubber. How much water did you put in the scrubber?
It has maybe a 1/4 “ in the bottom

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel anything (suction) when you put your finger on the scrubber input port? Shoild feel something and hear it as well. There's an in and an out port. Make sure you have the skimmer on the out port
The line coming from the skimmer pump goes to the line in the middle of the scrubber

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I solved my own skimmer/ scrubber issue. Apparently I had too much water in the CO2 scrubber. I only had about 1/4” in there, but it was apparently too much. So all is good now

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back