Nopox dosing expected timeline?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g tank and about 30 or so gallons in my sump. Nitrates were 0-2ppm for about 5-6 months. Tank is now 9 months old and have only added 2 small fish in the last 3 months. It has been slowly climbing since about February. Now nitrates are around 40 give or take, and phosphates remaining steady (from the start) between 0.06-0.07. I have some “easy” sps, all are slowly dying. Everything else seems ok for now.

Started dosing nopox but was having major issues with my doser... wouldn’t stay primed and dosing was inconsistent. Think I’ve fixed it, but I’m still only dosing 3ml/day and have been for several weeks but haven’t seen a change. No negative effects either. Also worth noting that I really don’t have any algae issues in my DT but do have cyano in my sump. Im not sure when to bump up the dose, or how to really monitor if it’s working because I’m not sure what timeline to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing regular water changes? If so, how much?
With only 2 small fish in a tank that size, are you overfeeding? What are you feeding? That may be the source.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing regular water changes? If so, how much?
With only 2 small fish in a tank that size, are you overfeeding? What are you feeding? That may be the source.

No I have a lot more fish than that! Just mentioned the 2 gobies added since the sudden spike in nitrates. I have 3 large fish and 10 small fish. I do feed heavily because I have some high maintenance fish (wrasses, copperband, anthias) that need frequent feedings. Usually LRS reef frenzy, frozen mysis, all frozen food, about 3 times a day (not adding a lot at a time). Trying to minimize water changes as much as possible but yes I’ve been doing them about once a month.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g tank and about 30 or so gallons in my sump. Nitrates were 0-2ppm for about 5-6 months. Tank is now 9 months old and have only added 2 small fish in the last 3 months. It has been slowly climbing since about February. Now nitrates are around 40 give or take, and phosphates remaining steady (from the start) between 0.06-0.07. I have some “easy” sps, all are slowly dying. Everything else seems ok for now.

Started dosing nopox but was having major issues with my doser... wouldn’t stay primed and dosing was inconsistent. Think I’ve fixed it, but I’m still only dosing 3ml/day and have been for several weeks but haven’t seen a change. No negative effects either. Also worth noting that I really don’t have any algae issues in my DT but do have cyano in my sump. Im not sure when to bump up the dose, or how to really monitor if it’s working because I’m not sure what timeline to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For some folks, the decline in nitrate takes a long time, weeks. If you do not see it in a few weeks and you believe the kit, i'd up the dose.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my point of view but if/when increasing dosing, do it VERY slowly especially with your phosphates at that level. They can drop fast and you end up hitting zero and potentially leading to Dinos (ask me how I know this!!!!). I have observed excatly what Randy mentioned. My phophates dropped quite quickly but my Nitrates took a while. What test kits are you using?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be VERY careful with NOPOX on a doser. We had a pump head go bad and dumped way too much in and we had to do an emergency 90% water change to save our tank.
That goes along with anything on a doser. Empty 1000ml of Alk into the tank and boom, goner.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That goes along with anything on a doser. Empty 1000ml of Alk into the tank and boom, goner.
I only keep enough in the dosing bottles for a couple days at a time now and NoPox is no longer welcome in our system. We'll just deal with our 10 Nitrate and .08 Phosphate

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my point of view but if/when increasing dosing, do it VERY slowly especially with your phosphates at that level. They can drop fast and you end up hitting zero and potentially leading to Dinos (ask me how I know this!!!!). I have observed excatly what Randy mentioned. My phophates dropped quite quickly but my Nitrates took a while. What test kits are you using?
Oh interesting, I had no idea! I will keep an eye out. I’m using Hanna ULR for phosphate, Red Sea for nitrate

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear you are using the Hanna checker, that is what I am using and found it to be consistent.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, phosphates are now 0.03 and nitrate is still a steady 30-40ppm. Help! Do I need to dose phosphate? Could the biomedia in my sump (ceramic rings and no name porous balls) be an issue? Should that be removed? Diatoms starting to form on the sand now!

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any automated nitrate and phosphate analyzers? Like trident for alk cal mag and ph probes? I enjoy the accuracy and numerical reading of the Hanna, but not the 30 min to perform the nitrate test. The salifert tests I have for nitrate are very hard for me to see the color and relate it to the paper chart

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any automated nitrate and phosphate analyzers? Like trident for alk cal mag and ph probes? I enjoy the accuracy and numerical reading of the Hanna, but not the 30 min to perform the nitrate test. The salifert tests I have for nitrate are very hard for me to see the color and relate it to the paper chart
The new HR Hanna Nitrate test will be released next month. You can pre-order it now. Runs just like the alk test.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new HR Hanna Nitrate test will be released next month. You can pre-order it now. Runs just like the alk test.
For me That hanna alk test is best on market. Exact number, no color match and reads instantly. Extremely consistent and no powder mess.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its already out, right ? what is the model #
I don’t think until July. The low range one is out, but it’s quite a process to do the test, this new one will be less accurate for low range, but if you run nitrates over 5ppm, I’d wait and get the HR version.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think until July. The low range one is out, but it’s quite a process to do the test, this new one will be less accurate for low range, but if you run nitrates over 5ppm, I’d wait and get the HR version.
ok i was looking at the long process one, but the new one is set to start shipping in july 2021it is

Hanna Instruments Nitrate Checker - High Range Marine (HI782) 49.00$​

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back