Nopox dosing - Nitrates @0ppm now

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, and apologies if this has already been answered somewhere in the list of threads. I have been using NoPox on my 60 gallon for a few months and today both my Nitrate and Phosphate are at 0ppm using the Hanna checkers. I was currently only using 2ml a day of the NoPox. My question is do I continue to use NoPox or just go to 1ml and see how it goes? Is both being at 0 bad?

The only issue i currently detect is a slight bit of cyano on the sand. Any advice or suggestions is welcome.

Other water params:

Alkalinity - 11.8
Calcium - 516
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 0 ppm
Ph - 8.2
Temp - 77.8

20220108_183113.jpg 20220108_183117.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop using it all together…your nutrients have bottomed out and your next issue is going to be dinos..try getting some back in
I am using the red sea AB daily. Does that help?

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed more . AB is more amino acids…if you have reef roids use them broadcasting they will shoot your phosphates up..

OP
OP
M

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed more . AB is more amino acids…if you have reef roids use them broadcasting they will shoot your phosphates up..
Ok. Im doing some extra feeding today and yesterday.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox has been shown to not only reduce nutrients but is also beneficial for coral. Finding a happy medium may be the best route.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
NoPox good must not be part of a daily regimen or maintenacnce program as it can bottom out nutrients and promote Dino

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some advocate carbon dosing to fix phosphate for easier uptake by corals.
But no nutrients is a bigger problem.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, and apologies if this has already been answered somewhere in the list of threads. I have been using NoPox on my 60 gallon for a few months and today both my Nitrate and Phosphate are at 0ppm using the Hanna checkers. I was currently only using 2ml a day of the NoPox. My question is do I continue to use NoPox or just go to 1ml and see how it goes? Is both being at 0 bad?

The only issue i currently detect is a slight bit of cyano on the sand. Any advice or suggestions is welcome.

Other water params:

Alkalinity - 11.8
Calcium - 516
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 0 ppm
Ph - 8.2
Temp - 77.8

20220108_183113.jpg 20220108_183117.jpg
I would not abruptly stop dosing. I did and my nitrates rebounded very quickly.

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any carbon dosing advice should include tapering off the dose as nutrients get lower. We are looking for balance gang. Not hitting rock bottom and bouncing. Think of how you would dose any alk or calc. If you are raising alk and hit your target, you can't keep putting in the same dose or you will continue to climb. Find equilibrium which is slower to do moving slowly. This in my opinion is the hardest part. Mostly because I'm impatient

Best of luck.

OP
OP
M

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any carbon dosing advice should include tapering off the dose as nutrients get lower. We are looking for balance gang. Not hitting rock bottom and bouncing. Think of how you would dose any alk or calc. If you are raising alk and hit your target, you can't keep putting in the same dose or you will continue to climb. Find equilibrium which is slower to do moving slowly. This in my opinion is the hardest part. Mostly because I'm impatient

Best of luck.
So i will skip tomorrow then maybe a .5ml dose every other day while doing testing. I did a lot of extra feeding today so will will how tank parameters change over this week. Thank you for all the feedback!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally either stop dosing the NOPOX, feed more, or reduce NOPOX/feed more.

Undetectable nutrients is a risk factor for dinos, which is a problem you do not want to get.

OP
OP
M

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally either stop dosing the NOPOX, feed more, or reduce NOPOX/feed more.

Undetectable nutrients is a risk factor for dinos, which is a problem you do not want to get.
Ok, so that is the path im on. Reduce NoPox starting Sat and am feeding 2x. I am monitoring Nitrate and Phosphate on a daily basis until i see some change.

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both times I’ve tried NOPOX I’ve ended up with problems. The first time was dinos, and more recently I was on a dino knife edge but managed to claw it back before they took off.

RedSea recommended making a diluted working solution of NOPOX and dosing small volumes of this to rectify the issue.

Ultimately I just stopped using it completely and set up a chaeto refugium instead. I’ve been running nitrate at 3ppm and phosphate at 0.05ppm for a few weeks now.

kent78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
honestly , i will reduced NoPox to 1ml and PLUS feed little more, low nutreins affets corals more than fishs especially their colors as my bro's tank used to be.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my nitrates way down w/NoPox (but not to 0) and rather than stop dosing it, I have begun to feed more. I love that I can feed more now TBH. I think if I had noticed my nutrients completely bottom out I would have reduced the dose in addition to feeding more.

I have seen the NoPox as being beneficial in my system.

OP
OP
M

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my nitrates way down w/NoPox (but not to 0) and rather than stop dosing it, I have begun to feed more. I love that I can feed more now TBH. I think if I had noticed my nutrients completely bottom out I would have reduced the dose in addition to feeding more.

I have seen the NoPox as being beneficial in my system.
Same, im doing about a cc each morning and feeding more. Nitrates are staying around 4 and phosphates are at 0.

Back