Nopox question..

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
it’s been 30 years and I’m still being driven crazy by this hobby.

my new tank has matured pink coraline growing all over, time for sps, no my nitrates are 50 ppm so started nopox.
its been 6.5 weeks and its Still 50 ppm, the only difference is I don’t have to clean the glass so often and the water has a slight tinge to it even though I’m running carbon and uv.
the main question is a white bacterial growth is taking over, I’m guessing it’s the bacteria that nopox is feeding but wouldn’t mind a second opinion please.
image.jpg

Tank is reefer 425xl
temp 25
salinity 35
alk 9 with salifert that’s just about to run out and 10 with new one! Slowly lowering it to 9..
ca 420
mg 1380
no3 50
po4 0.03
ph 8

redsea pro salt, 10% a month change and just started af ab and c only at 10ml per month.

could it be low po4 inhibiting the nitrate reduction? I’ve got trisodium phosphate made up if needed...
skimmer is curve 5 working fine, adjusted a little wet.

cheers barks

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the white bacterial grow is probably the nitrate consumers from nopox dosing, from recent experience with high nitrates (60-80ppm) myself i learned that low phosphates does hinder nitrate reduction using nopox. i try to keep mine around .05-.1 ppm. my corals have even showed improvement with the higher phosphates.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys trying to reduce nitrates and I'm trying to increase them lol Have any advice?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was having Nitrate problems I would be doing weekly water changes, and vacuuming the sand every time (if you have sand). And would try and tweak my feeding. I have personally tried NOPOX and Bio pellets and found them more trouble then they are worth.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be low po4 inhibiting the nitrate reduction? I’ve got trisodium phosphate made up if needed...
skimmer is curve 5 working fine, adjusted a little wet.

cheers barks

Maybe, on the phosphate. If it isn't zeroed out, than I would probably give it some time.

I was going to ask about your skimmer.

On the white growth....from here it looks like sponges, maybe feeding on your excess bacteria.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No pox for me is tricky as it can promote Dino
I highly recommend chemipure elite which will lower pho’s and nitrate and keep it in check

OP
OP
Barks

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, a fair bit to consider, I’ll give it another week and if no change I’ll bring the phosphate up a little.
cheers barks

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One would expect that if PO4 is continuously present, then NOPOX (or any carbon dosing product) would reduce NO3 over time. Looks like this is not happening for you, so either PO4 availability is not constant/consistent and/or your food input is holding the NO3 level steady (equal input-to-output scenario, even with carbon dosing).

Are you using a skimmer? While not absolutely necessary, it is helpful in removing the bacteria and with aeration (oxygenation). If not using a skimmer, then the bacteria need to be removed by other means to effectively reduce NO3.

IME, PO4 needs to watched carefully so that it doesn't go too low when carbon dosing. (starving/bleaching corals can result).

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pox for me is tricky as it can promote Dino
I highly recommend chemipure elite which will lower pho’s and nitrate and keep it in check

I don't think any solid binders do much for nitrate. They may bind organic matter and remove it before it degrades, but that's not generally a big nitrate reduction method.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to have round holes in it for respiration like sponge to me.
I run biopellets (1500ml), GFO(2.75 cups) and Nopox (60ml) on my system and have been for many months.
No slime.

Back