NoPoX vs Biopellets

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should the results be identical, whether you carbon dose with NoPoX, or use a biopellet reactor, if both are employed correctly? I confess to having an overstocked tank (120 gallon), which is overfed and I have been using NoPoX for quite some time, with no discernable benefits.
The tank has been running for several years and looks fantastic but my high nitrate levels limit me to fish, softies, leathers, etc. and is a point of great frustration. If at the end of the day, I have to live with my aquarium as is, so be it but am curious if some think biopellets would be more effective.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found biopellets to be very effective for reducing Nitrate but no so great at reducing Phosphate.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two marine pure blocks and Nopox to reduce nitrates.
The Nopox carbon source feeds the BB population, and a increase in surface area with low oxygen (the blocks or rock) provide areas for processing nitrates.

Increase 1 ml per week until she drops, it will.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not happy with either Brightwell Blocks or Marine pure....disintegration issues. Thanks for the reply. I've had a long history with nopox.....periods of regular dosage and over dosage and my leathers were not happy in either case. Took a long break and now doing a 1/2 dose. As I said, the tank could not look better but it's almost become a point of stubborn pride to get my nitrates down...of course, while being over stocked and overfed at the same time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back