NOPOx: works too well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sharkey18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a cyano issue BEFORE I started NoPox.

My PO4 was .1 but my NO3 was over 8. I started NoPox to try and bring the NO3 down and more in balance with the PO4. It is my understanding that cyano does well with high nitrates and low phosphates.

In 5 weeks my Nitrates went from over 8 to .25. My Phosphates went from .1 to .08. I still have cyano. Although I continue to use a power head to blow it off the rock.

My question is do I just wait and see if the cyano follows the nitrates and slowly goes away? I do not want to deal with an ULN tank so I don't want my nitrates or phosphates going much lower. I am going to reduce the NoPoX I am dosing by 1/2.

Does this sounds like reasonable plan?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there and firstly welcome to R2R!

There are different theories but cyno generally does well in new ultra low nutrient systems were there are few other species to out compete with it.

Nopox is a very powerful tool and it’s just a matter of a fine balance with your own system. It does however work well with Nitrate reduction but less so on phosphate and many of us also use GFO (I use rhowaphos in a reactor) in addition to keep the phosphate down to around 0.03ppm so very low to avoid issues.

There is nothing wrong with nitrate of 8 and anywhere between 5-10 is perfect but of course it depends on your own goals.

In answer to your question, if it was me I would half the dose initially and then slowly adjust by around 1ml per day per week until you get the nitrate your looking for and then deal with phosphate as necessary.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back