NOPOX

nasdds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having issues with high nitrates and phosphates and I’m going to start dosing NoPox. I know to go slow, a quarter of the recommended dose to start etc but do do you guys dose this into the sump or directly into display? Should flow be on or off? UV, carbon reactor, skimmer on or off? I’m guessing UV off and skimmer and reactor on but just double checking. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.

OP
OP
N

nasdds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow on, UV and carbon on. Skimmer definitely on as NOPOX can reduce your oxygen levels. Either the sump or the tank.
Thanks. Do you dose into sump or in the display? If I’m the sump would you do it in the skimmer compartment or the return? Thanks again

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having issues with high nitrates and phosphates and I’m going to start dosing NoPox. I know to go slow, a quarter of the recommended dose to start etc but do do you guys dose this into the sump or directly into display? Should flow be on or off? UV, carbon reactor, skimmer on or off? I’m guessing UV off and skimmer and reactor on but just double checking. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.
Nopox is a solution containing organic carbons.

It works by feeding bacteria that consume Nitrate. The bacteria normally do not have enough carbon in their diet so by adding carbons they get happy, jump up and down, multiply and consume Nitrate in the process.

You remove the bacteria by skimming them out, and thus reduce the Nitrate in the tank. To a much smaller extent you also remove Phosphate as the bacteria also like a side dish of Phosphate.

To answer your question, you can dose it in any high flow area (normally the sump), and leave everything else on.
Neither Carbon nor UV will have any noticeable effect.

You do however need patience, as it will take a while (probably at least 4 weeks) to have much effect.

You could also substitute normal household distilled vinegar for Nopox and get the same effect for much less money, which you can save for beer or pizza.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I dose right before the return chamber. I run homemade. 500ml distilled white vinegar, 375 ml vodka and 125 ml RODI.

I did not find No-Pox to help with my phosphates. I dose Brightwell Phosphat-E (lanthanum chloride) directly
Under the skimmer inlet.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used nopox at one point in time and dosed it directly down the neck of my skimmer. It worked great and I did it this way for a couple of months until I upgraded tanks.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could also substitute normal household distilled vinegar for Nopox and get the same effect for much less money, which you can save for beer or pizza.
And if you want to get even closer to what they are putting in the bottle
2 parts white vinegar
1 part vodka
1 part rodi

I've been using this for years

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you want to get even closer to what they are putting in the bottle
2 parts white vinegar
1 part vodka
1 part rodi

I've been using this for years
I used to do that, but these days I save the vodka for myself :cool: .

I didn't really notice any difference wrt Nitrate reduction without the vodka - you just need more vinegar which has a greater effect on pH if you don't spread out the dosing.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to do that, but these days I save the vodka for myself :cool: .

I didn't really notice any difference wrt Nitrate reduction without the vodka - you just need more vinegar which has a greater effect on pH if you don't spread out the dosing.
Right, but how do you explain a bottle of vodka in your aquarium equipment room to your wife when she asks?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back