Nopox

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I have been manually dosing nopox for a little over a month now. I have slowing been raising the doising amount and now I am dosing 5 ml a day. I went to the redsea recipe and it tells me to dose 9.5 ml a day. Nopox has reduce the phosphate from 1.2 to .06 and nitrate is at 14. I am still noticing the same brown film forming in my glass everyday to almost everyday. Anyone might have a recommendation on the product? Am I dosing to little? Should I raise my dosing ml to what redsea suggest? How can I get rid of the brown film that forms in my glass and get my rocks a little clear? I have a 125 gallon tank with a 40 gallons sump.

Screenshot_20231025_093159_Chrome.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Tank pics always help.

IMO, film grows on glass, its a fact that we all deal with, organisms grow on all surface area's.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
as far as film on the glass, I am not sure if I will ever not clean my glass twice a week. The level of my film algae never changes, which I find funny. Recently my PO4 got away from me (.18) in my 133g, while I am having to deal with some turf because of that screw up, my film algae density never changed.

I dose NoPox, I am going to switch when I am out to one of Randy’s formulas, likely vinegar based. In my 133g (> 4 years old) I am dosing 15ML a day between 12-6PM during my higher PH window. In my 75G (put H2O in it on 7/4) I am putting 9.5.

Current NO3/PO4

133g 11/.07
75G 12/.02

Both out of balance. I test PO4 often lately but NO3 on Sundays.

OP
OP
F

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Tank pics always help.

IMO, film grows on glass, its a fact that we all deal with, organisms grow on all surface area's.
Need to wait for my light to come back on and turn off the blue lights and leave the white on. As you can see it all green!!!!!! My sand is green everything is turning green.

Attachments

• 20231028_111030.jpg
    20231028_111030.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 63

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank looks really new. Are you just going through the stages?
That was my thought as well.

I've found that an initial muratic acid bath solves a lot of new tank issues including green rock and more significant algal blooms. Whenever I have set up a new tank or went bigger in recent years, I gave the acid bath to all my dry rock and since I began this regimen, I have not had many of the "new tank" issues most people (including myself in the past) seem to experience. That said, this is not for everyone.

I've been making my own for a while now (2pt vinegar, 1pt vodka, 1pt water) it's done well to bring down now (which I keep in the 5 to 10ppm range).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to wait for my light to come back on and turn off the blue lights and leave the white on. As you can see it all green!!!!!! My sand is green everything is turning green.
thats very normal green. You didn't think your rocks would stay sparkling white forever did you lol. Its part of "new tank syndrome", what we call the uglies. Very natural for the rocks to turn that shade of green. Don't worry and don't overreact. Just get more snails, and control the nutrients.

EDIT: Sorry, just say the gyres...... And get more flow in the tank, I don't see any powerheads. 2 is always better than 1. Have 1 pointed at the water surface to agitate the surface and help put more oxygen into the water.

OP
OP
F

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats very normal green. You didn't think your rocks would stay sparkling white forever did you lol. Its part of "new tank syndrome", what we call the uglies. Very natural for the rocks to turn that shade of green. Don't worry and don't overreact. Just get more snails, and control the nutrients.

EDIT: Sorry, just say the gyres...... And get more flow in the tank, I don't see any powerheads. 2 is always better than 1. Have 1 pointed at the water surface to agitate the surface and help put more oxygen into the water.
I have 2 conch, 10 nassarius snail, 5 turbo, 3 sea urchins. I will continue waitting should i discontinue nopox?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had had it for 8 month now.
The system appears to be very new, like it is stuck at month 3. Surprising there is no hair algae or cyanobacteria.

How are you managing trace elements?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your phosphate is 0.06ppm?
Nopox has not much effect on phosphate.
The dose is fine but in the upper range, 5ml day is fine.

Green comes from four things.
1. Too much intensity or incorrect light spectrum favoring the reds.
2. Available phosphate to feed. (Excess)
3. Lack of micro system processors. (Age)
4. Lack of appropriate cleaners until number 3 completed.

If you have nothing photosynthetic, remove the white, lower the blue, decrease the period, check your phosphate number, keep Nopox but at 5ml, add 20 ml per day bacteria until bottle finished, add live phytoplankton every second day. Redirect snails to affected areas regularly.

My guess is a number 3 problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system appears to be very new, like it is stuck at month 3. Surprising there is no hair algae or cyanobacteria.

Nope 8 month now that's why I was stressed because I was expecting that by 8 month I should've been good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028_162118_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028_162118_Gallery.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
F

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope 8 month now that's why I was stressed because I was expecting that by 8 month I should've been good

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope 8 month now that's why I was stressed because I was expecting that by 8 month I should've been good

You still might be good, just stuck. I would guess your sump and overflow are spotless, no detritus accumulation, right?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got another 16 months to go before you'll get consistent stability with not much intervention. Plenty more algae blooms to come.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back