Nopox

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see the bottom clearly, but overall seems pretty clean. If that is true, “life” hasn’t taken off yet. Older, growing systems grow all sorts of things, sponges, little fan worms, and bristle worms. They also collect fluffy grayish material in the sump.

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still might be good, just stuck. I would guess your sump and overflow are spotless, no detritus accumulation, right?
Hi, I’m sorry to include myself, but I’m having the exact same problem. However my tank is only 4 weeks old. I have GHA growing out of my ears. But my sump and overflow is spotless like you mentioned. Can you educate me on why this might be?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m sorry to include myself, but I’m having the exact same problem. However my tank is only 4 weeks old. I have GHA growing out of my ears. But my sump and overflow is spotless like you mentioned. Can you educate me on why this might be?
A 4 week old tank is going to have all kinds of algae, etc. Have you added a clean up crew yet?

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to wait for my light to come back on and turn off the blue lights and leave the white on. As you can see it all green!!!!!! My sand is green everything is turning green.
Good morning. I have been manually dosing nopox for a little over a month now. I have slowing been raising the doising amount and now I am dosing 5 ml a day. I went to the redsea recipe and it tells me to dose 9.5 ml a day. Nopox has reduce the phosphate from 1.2 to .06 and nitrate is at 14. I am still noticing the same brown film forming in my glass everyday to almost everyday. Anyone might have a recommendation on the product? Am I dosing to little? Should I raise my dosing ml to what redsea suggest? How can I get rid of the brown film that forms in my glass and get my rocks a little clear? I have a 125 gallon tank with a 40 gallons sump.

Screenshot_20231025_093159_Chrome.jpg
I am having the exact same problem, except my tank is only 4-6 weeks old and I’m unable to keep clownfish alive .
I’ve come across NoPox on Google which is what led me to your post. I’m going to try it next as I’m unable to get phosphates down as well. It’s super frustrating for me as well, good luck to you.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month old system has not had time to grow any of the things Dan_P mentioned... You'll probably see some pineapple sponges early on, but it takes a mature (many months to several years old) tank to develop that cryptic life.

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4 week old tank is going to have all kinds of algae, etc. Have you added a clean up crew yet?
A 4 week old tank is going to have all kinds of algae, etc. Have you added a clean up crew yet
A month old system has not had time to grow any of the things Dan_P mentioned... You'll probably see some pineapple sponges early on, but it takes a mature (many months to several years old) tank to develop that cryptic life.
That makes sense. I just have an extremely green tank and a very clean sump, so I thought I had something in common and might’ve found something helpful.
I have a conch, hermits, narcissus snails, 2 turbos, coral banded shrimp, a Sally crab, pencil sea urchin and a goby. My entire tank is a clean up crew (minus goby). My lfs is suppose to get more turbos this coming week.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I just have an extremely green tank and a very clean sump, so I thought I had something in common and might’ve found something helpful.
I have a conch, hermits, narcissus snails, 2 turbos, coral banded shrimp, a Sally crab, pencil sea urchin and a goby. My entire tank is a clean up crew (minus goby). My lfs is suppose to get more turbos this coming week.
You may want to start your own thread so this one can stay on track...
But depending on what your tank looks like, manual removal might also be necessary.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The messy sump seems to correlate to the aquarium being able to support a complex ecosystem of organisms. When tiny sponges and fan worms are thriving, coralline is growing, the aquarium seems to be in a state that is not easily overrun by nuisance algae. The output of all this life is a grey to tan fluffy material I call biological ash. It seems to be able to accumulate without causing any harm, though many aquarist are put off by its presence and remove it. I think @taricha may have studied this stuff. I think the seasoned veterans can add to the list of other signs that an aquarium can support a complex ecosystem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back