Nora's Reef Tank Revamp (Tampa Bay Live Rock!)

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught a Bobbit worm! I saw it’s five antennae and knew immediately. Tank is covered in hair algae. Looking into getting another Hygger pump.
1597622778584.jpeg

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of water are you using to top off and do water changes?
Distilled. I know that tap can cause problems depending on the water quality. The funny thing is, I have all this algae and the dinos showed back up when I thought to do a water change. Realized the test kits said zero nitrates and phosphates somehow. I do need to get new tests though. (BTW I went around maybe three months without water changes and that did nothing for the dinos. What killed them was dosing nitrates and phosphates.) I'm contemplating getting another Hygger powerhead for the cyanobacteria, as there are a couple dead spots, and maybe a protein skimmer. From the research I've done, they suck up dissolved organics and such.

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just baffled that I have algae growing, and no detectable nitrates or phosphates. Then again, I still have the old API test kits, which I know I should replace with some hanna tests or something. I need to do more research that's for sure.

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggghah I think it’s still in there I saw part of it sinking around. After some thinking I’m hoping it might be a harmless scavenger. It burrows, is small and grey, not really any bristles, and I saw five antennae or something. I have heard of relatives that are scavengers so maybe I’m okay.

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1598638642782.jpeg

Tank is looking decent today. I’ve recently discovered a pistol shrimp and baby porcelain crab. Hitchhiker coral bleached out but is still holding on.
1598638769878.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1598638642782.jpeg

Tank is looking decent today. I’ve recently discovered a pistol shrimp and baby porcelain crab. Hitchhiker coral bleached out but is still holding on.
1598638769878.jpeg

Just keep working at it and you'll get it cleaned up in no time!!

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still has some hair algae, but it seems to be getting a little better. I did a water change yesterday. All the inhabitants seem fine as per usual. I am not going crazy on attempting to eradicate the hair algae as I believe the rock is going through a small cycle to adjust to my tank. So I am leaving it alone to take its course.
1598890206473.png

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it's been a long time, but I've been super busy with school. My tank is doing significantly better than last time I posted. The hair algae is diminishing and the cyanobacteria is not as bad. All the creatures are happy, accept the gorgonian. I had to frag it; some tissue necrosis was going on. Ever since I got the new rock it has not been the same, but the gorgonians are now doing pretty good. I just blew stuff around so the corals are not quite as fluffy as they should be. Earlier the elegance was about six inches long! The Lubbock's wrasse is absolutely amazing; same with my Chromis George. All crabs and shrimp are accounted for. The clams and barnacles are still kicking, although I think there are a little less of the latter.
1604279495494.png

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on both the tank and my mantis shrimp. “Monte Cristo” the Wennerae mantis shrimp is now hand feeding. The thing he took in the video is a limpet from my tank. My reef on the other hand is doing great. The Elegance is mad, but it’ll get over it. I hope the link works! https://share.icloud.com/photos/0PS76CyV70fd_jkb4CqkCQoeQ
1605052102143.jpeg

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking stunning today! All the creatures are accounted for, except for my beloved sexy shrimp and giant mithrax crab. The shrimp was really old and the biggest I’ve ever seen, so I’m pretty sure she died of old age. I’m looking into getting more sometime soon! As for the crab, he stopped molting ages ago and was absolutely massive. I’m pretty sure he was also very old. For his appearance and size, I was sure that he would be detrimental. But, he and his smaller buddy are literally the safest crabs I’ve ever seen. They would only eat hair algae! My Duncan is recovering really well and is happy. The Gorgonians are still meh but getting there.
1605475579033.jpeg

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a phytoplankton culture today! Got some backup stuff in the fridge just in case it doesn't go too well.
1605831554903.png

shanedag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going with your wennerae? I have one from TBS as well. Right now he's in my sump, but it's a small partition. I really like the guy so am considering moving it to the display tank but am worried about fish I buy ini future.

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going with your wennerae? I have one from TBS as well. Right now he's in my sump, but it's a small partition. I really like the guy so am considering moving it to the display tank but am worried about fish I buy ini future.
He's doing really well actually. I'm keeping him in a 2.5gal tank with some misfit welks. The tank might be a tad small but he's tiny at the moment so I think it's okay. I bet if you have a few hiding places it should be okay. I would be careful keeping one with fish though. Mine has become very aggressive all of the sudden. What's nice about feeding him is that all of his food comes from my reef, that thing is spitting out limpets like crazy (they're a personal favorite of his). Here's a picture of the little guy.
1607314541095.png

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. It has been ages since I posted, but both me and my critters are alive. The tank got a new kind of dinos only ten days after beating the ostreopsis. Pretty sure it was coolia. Not as toxic to inverts, but to limpets and coral. Lost all the Xenia, gorgonian, elegance, and pavona. It was terrible and slowly killing all the corals. Until, I noticed that there was quite a bit of detritus in the corners. I fashioned a device with a filter sock at the end and sifted A TON of detritus out of the tank. I’ve repeated the process a couple times and the tank cleared up! I think it was using the detritus as a food source and anchor; it liked higher PO4 and NO3. Many days later I mostly beat the little jerks. My remaining corals are recovering and the tank looks okay again. Sponges and feather worms are returning by storm! Oh also most of my fish disappeared whilst this was going on; I noticed the bodies all in a certain area next to a slimy hole. Yep. Eunicid worm. I never saw it but took action. One busted rock and three dead fish later I felt confident my tank was safe again. No sign of any more predators, so I bought a cute little Clarkii; I missed my Ocellaris. She is crazy skittish but really mellow, and best buds with my Chromis. One goby remains. I also got a rock flower anemone which is very happy. Hopefully I will be able to get a bubble tip soon for my clown, she seems more dependent on a host than other species I’ve seen. On another note, my mantis shrimp is happy and so aggressive! I’m betting he’s three inches at least now.
1614562051807.jpeg

OP
OP
H3rm1tCr@b

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I know it‘s been like two years, but both the tank and I are doing well! I had a bunch of surgeries and started college, so life has been a bit insane. I’ll tell the short version of the tank.
Dinoflagellates went away, swapped out some fish, then the tank broke. So, I got a new one, had two fish off themselves, but things restablized. Fast foreward a year or so and the corals are going insane! Everyone is healthy and doing their own thing, I also have not had any deaths for a long while!!!

Oh, and at the moment, the stock looks like this:

Fish & Invertebrates:
Springeri Dottyback (“Swissel”)
Ocellaris Clownfish (“Nemo”)
Spider Decorator Crab (“The Kragle”, I know what you’re thinking, but I think this one is the most peaceful crab in existence. He doesn’t hurt anyone and only decorates himself with kenya tree coral (which is growing like crazy!)
A suprisingly peaceful Gorilla Crab
Misc. Hermit Crabs
Yellow Watchman Goby
(“Pipsqueak”)
Yellow Tail Damselfish (“Buzz Lightyear”)
Tiger Pistol Shrimp (“Chimichanga”)
At least 4 Rock Pistol Shrimp

Corals:
Devil’s Hand Leather
Green Star Polyps
Kenya Tree Coral
Green Zoanthids
Orange-Dot Zoanthids
Toadstool Mushroom
Green & Purple Majanos
(I chose them on purpose, I like the way they look.)

Sorry for all the information, but I thought someone might want to know what was up! Oh, and here’s a picture of the tank (it looks amazing, I only have to change the skimmer occasionally and the water every three months or so!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423-172631.png
    Screenshot_20230423-172631.png
    505.9 KB · Views: 16

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back