Tank Build for Tampa Bay Saltwater

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a unique and one of the largest builds I have done in about 10 years. I saw the live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater @LiverockRocks and thought how cool would it be to display natural local coast life in our house to family and guests that visit. I also always loved when I saw live rock in the beginning of starting hobby and seeing all the hitchhikers good and bad. The rock shown seems to have all sorts of life that can grow from sponges, macro algaes and a whole lot more. I am fascinated.

The area available is 2 feet by 13 inches. I would like a shallowish tank but want room as well for a bit of height. Wife gave the ok by the way lol. The idea would be to start getting things together late January early february.

I have an MP10 I will be using but need to verify it still works. No other filtration unless aio. I will be adding auto top off system as well. I am not sure on dealing with parameters yet. I may either do 100 percent monthly, dose whats needed and 10 percent or combination. Depends on whats needed.

Currently need tank and light ideas. Mainly for macros and such but can have option for corals if any pop up from rock. Even all in one tanks are fine. Nothing at all will be added to this tank except from what I can get from Tamp Bay Saltwater for critters and biodiversity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So depending on what the vet says and if our pup will need eye surgery, we may push the build back a couple months. But we are leaning towards an allergy issue and her eye doesnt seem to be bothering her as it has been the past few days. Vets appoinment is next month but may not need the appointment.

For the build so far im looking at getting just a plain rimless tank up to 15 gallons maybe larger but will see. My mp10 for movement and some sort of natural daylight led with maybe a supplemental blue that is very light.

There wont be a cycle as all rock and sand will be alive, I will have to do acclimation with the sand and rock since ill be using different salt. There will be no sump just the tank. I am thinking of adding an auto doser to swap out 4 gallons over a week but filling up 5 gallon jug just in case and do a manual water change once a month. Things can always change lol

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There wont be a cycle as all rock and sand will be alive, I will have to do acclimation with the sand and rock since ill be using different salt. There will be no sump just the tank. I am thinking of adding an auto doser to swap out 4 gallons over a week but filling up 5 gallon jug just in case and do a manual water change once a month. Things can always change lol
Hi! I just started two small tanks using TBS rock and sand, an IM Nuvo 15 and an IM Nuvo 10 that is specifically for a Florida Mantis that I also ordered from TBS. I research the rock and sand (actually had been wanting to try it for years), and most everyone told me that there would not be much of a cycle because of the fresh rock and sand, but in my experience this was not the case. I got my rock and sand order on November 13th, and I had very high ammonia for weeks, then, of course, the nitrite spike. Although I think my 15 gallon tank has finally settled down, I am still seeing nitrite in the 10 gallon tank. That could be because of the Mantis who is a very messy eater.

From your first post, I think maybe you are in Florida? If you can pick the rock up from TBS, you may see less die off and ammonia than I did. I had mine shipped via air freight to New York.

I do want to say that over all I am thrilled with the rock, sand and service from TBS, and I can’t wait to get more of their rock and sand. They answered all my many, many questions promptly, the order was packaged well, and the rock and sand looks great in my tanks, I think. In no way am I trying to talk you out of ordering from TBS, just be aware that you may well see an ammonia cycle.

I’m actually embarrassed by this, but if you’re interested, this post was me FREAKING OUT because I was seeing such high ammonia and doing two nearly 100% water changes daily and still not seeing the ammonia going down.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/please-help-new-tanks-are-crashing-right-off-the-bat.1019209/

Good luck with your new project!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just started two small tanks using TBS rock and sand, an IM Nuvo 15 and an IM Nuvo 10 that is specifically for a Florida Mantis that I also ordered from TBS. I research the rock and sand (actually had been wanting to try it for years), and most everyone told me that there would not be much of a cycle because of the fresh rock and sand, but in my experience this was not the case. I got my rock and sand order on November 13th, and I had very high ammonia for weeks, then, of course, the nitrite spike. Although I think my 15 gallon tank has finally settled down, I am still seeing nitrite in the 10 gallon tank. That could be because of the Mantis who is a very messy eater.

From your first post, I think maybe you are in Florida? If you can pick the rock up from TBS, you may see less die off and ammonia than I did. I had mine shipped via air freight to New York.

I do want to say that over all I am thrilled with the rock, sand and service from TBS, and I can’t wait to get more of their rock and sand. They answered all my many, many questions promptly, the order was packaged well, and the rock and sand looks great in my tanks, I think. In no way am I trying to talk you out of ordering from TBS, just be aware that you may well see an ammonia cycle.

I’m actually embarrassed by this, but if you’re interested, this post was me FREAKING OUT because I was seeing such high ammonia and doing two nearly 100% water changes daily and still not seeing the ammonia going down.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/please-help-new-tanks-are-crashing-right-off-the-bat.1019209/

Good luck with your new project!
thats super suprising. Ive gotten 120lb of rocks from them this month, 2 boxes arrived completely dry and no water due to terrible handling from Southwest, but even with that the highest we ever saw our levels get was 0.3 ammonia and 0.05 nitrite

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats super suprising. Ive gotten 120lb of rocks from them this month, 2 boxes arrived completely dry and no water due to terrible handling from Southwest, but even with that the highest we ever saw our levels get was 0.03 ammonia and 0.05 nitrite
I was surprised after everything I had read about using aquaculture rock and sand. In the thread I linked above, many people told me my ammonia test kits were not accurate. I know these are not lab-grade testing, but they are indicators for sure. I used three brands of test kits, and all reported off the chart ammonia. The Red Sea kit is supposed to be a shade of pink, and mine was like dark purple. Again, this was just my experience. I do believe others have seen little to no ammonia cycle using TBS rock and sand.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats super suprising. Ive gotten 120lb of rocks from them this month, 2 boxes arrived completely dry and no water due to terrible handling from Southwest, but even with that the highest we ever saw our levels get was 0.3 ammonia and 0.05 nitrite
I'm running TBS base too. After 7 days, had .05. After 2 water changes, I'm at .025. Haven't seen any nitrite. I'm keeping an ammonia badge in the sump as well. I think my ammonia came from adding Arag sand later, then moving the rock around.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has been years since I had a tank cycle. I recently did a 1 gallon. No cycle. I usually do 100 percent weekly water changes unless something happens and im delayed. But reading through @Fish Fan and your thread I do see quite a bit of things that could have led to issue. What my plan will be so far,

I do live in florida so plan on making the drive. I want to also bring a few 5 gallons if possible to take their water they use with me. The issue is not with the water bacteria as you can do 100 percent changes. Problem is the live rock will need slow acclimation. Just like with certain inverts and fish the parameters may/will be different. Since I use the same salt and fet it from my lfs, I usually dont worry about acclimation. But from the tbsalwater to home will be different. There will still be some die off but minimal.

Im alao going to have the tank filled with the live rock and sand. Since there isnt another surface area or section to populate, bacteria is where it is. Im also not adding any big critters like a mantis off the bat. Maybe a couple small fish from them but wont have a big bioload. In fact I will probably have to feed a bit heavier. What I get from them then and their and what is on live rocks is all that will be added.

Should not be any cycling unless there is already a heavy die off from something that is already happening prior to pickup.

Thank you for the heads up as it will be something to keep an eye out for.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back