Please help! New tanks are crashing right off the bat!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beyond frustrated, I'm disappointed in myself, and really need some help please. I haven't had a saltwater tank in quite a few years, so maybe my skills are rusty, I don't know. I wanted to get back into reefing, and I am planning a larger tank, but I decided I wanted to get started with a small tank and that I wanted to try the aquacultured live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater (who were fantastic to work with!). I've never used aquacultured rock before, but have always been intrigued by it. And, I have always wanted a mantis and I noticed that TBS also offers N. wennerae mantids as well.

I decided to start 2 small tanks, an IM Nuvo Fusion 15 gallon as kind of my "main" tank, with the intention of upgrading that in the very near future. And, an IM Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon as a dedicated Mantis tank. I placed an order with TBS for a mantis as well as some rock and sand, I forget exactly but I got about 14 pounds of the sand, 8 pounds of base rock, and 6 pounds of nano premium rock. And this is to divide over the two tanks, filling in with dry base rock as needed, though I've not added any dry rock as of yet.

I actually researched and asked about the best way to start these tanks. My plan was to get the tanks running in advance of receiving my TBS order. I thought I would fishless cycle them using Doctor Tim's One and Only, his ammonium chloride, and some plastic bio media. Several R2R members told me that the whole fishless cycle was unnecessary. One even called the Doctor Tim's stuff snake oil. I was told that when using the aquacultured live rock and sand that you can literally fill the tank with saltwater, add the rock and sand, turn the filter on, and basically instant tank, with little to no nitrogen cycle.

That seemed like sound advice from more experienced members, but I was still skeptical, so I decided to fishless cycle my tanks anyway. They ran for over three weeks following Doctor Tim's paradigm (lower salinity, higher temp, etc.) before I received my TBS order, so the tanks had at least a baseline bio filter going before I added the rock and sand.

I received my TBS order on Monday 11/13, I did my best to carefully unpack, inspect, acclimate and add the rock, sand, mantis, and handful of critters to the tanks, following the instructions from TBS. I absolutely expected to have some ammonia spikes, and I had a Brute 32 gallon going with heated saltwater in anticipation of doing some water changes.

I'm now about 5 days in, and my ammonia has been out of control the whole time. I'm doing as close to 100% water changes as possible not once but twice a day on both tanks, and it's killing me already. For example, I did a large water change on both tanks late last night, and this morning not even 12 hours later my ammonia was ~1.2 mg/L, nitrite ~0.5 mg/L, and nitrates just barely registering in the 10 gallon mantis tank. This is with the Red Sea test kits.

This seems crazy to me. I didn't think that 5 days in and I'd still be dealing with this much ammonia. In fact, I think the tanks are getting worse, I think they are crashing before they even got started, and I don't know what to do. Part of me thinks that by doing so many water changes that I'm removing the ammonia and not allowing the bacteria to populate. I'm so frustrated that I'm tempted to dose some Seachem Prime, but I know that will bind the ammonia, and the bacteria won't populate. Again, I started the tanks with Dr. Tim's One and Only and for the last four days I have been dosing Brightwell's Microbacter7.

I haven't seen the mantis since Wednesday. I feel like I may have killed him, and it sucks, honestly. I pulled the rock pieces apart this morning, and still couldn't find him, alive or dead. I don't know if he's holed up in a piece of rock, or maybe he got out of the tank and the cat got him? I really just don't know, but I feel horrible that I may have killed my mantis already. Is there any chance he's just been hiding for two full days? Is there a chance he could live through such high ammonia and nitrite? I mean, they used to hitchhike on boat rock that was in shipping for several weeks, but I fear the worst for mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean you cycled your tank without rocks and sand, then you received the dry rocks and sand and mantis at the same time and added them all at the same time? The tank would cycle again by doing that, should cycle the tank with rocks and sand first, then add livestock.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean you cycled your tank without rocks and sand, then you received the dry rocks and sand and mantis at the same time and added them all at the same time? The tank would cycle again by doing that, should cycle the tank with rocks and sand first, then add livestock.
No, I fishless cycled the tank with Dr. Tim's products and plastic bimedia in the filter section of the tanks. Several weeks later, I then added aquacultured live rock and sand, not dry rock, and definitely no fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seemed like sound advice from more experienced members, but I was still skeptical, so I decided to fishless cycle my tanks anyway. They ran for over three weeks following Doctor Tim's paradigm (lower salinity, higher temp, etc.) before I received my TBS order

post a pic of your tank, not of the test kit but of the tank itself

from that highlighted statement above, how did you do a fishless cycle if there were no rocks in the tank> have to know that detail to unravel your issue.

first bet: I bet the pics show a totally normal looking tank of clean water and normal stuff, vs gray water, smelly, completely fouled and clouded in pics. that's why we start with tank pics, to check the known compliance timeframe of TBS shipped live rock against what your pics show. I have nine pages of examples of red sea ammonia misreads, that part of your post didn't factor at all, there's a big chance you're misreading because you're close to a month out. it would be different if this was day 2.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you answered the first question

now for the tank pics: we go off how they look, we don't factor your test kit reading whatsoever, because you're at a known timeframe for compliance for that kind of rock already. instead of just changing out water every few days as it was curing you likely left all the curing water in the tank, and now a few water changes are due, but no red sea testing is due.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pile of live rock is going to have fauna die-off during transport. There is nothing to unravel. You dumped a large amount of live material into a small volume of water with a small existing colony of nitrifying bacteria. It will take a week or so to catch up and come back to equilibrium.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 I appreciate your help, but I'm not following what you are suggesting. I will take a few pics for sure. Yes, my water does look clean and nothing (except for perhaps the mantis) is outright dying. I do understand that my Red Sea test kit is not a lab grade test, but it's certainly and indication, and it's telling me I have very high ammonia.

I'll try to take some pics now, if that helps.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what you describe, your tank would have been capable of housing your first fish immediately, however, I’m not sure how a mantis would do in a new and small system, or if it’s load is much more than 1-2 fish.

I don’t think it’s dead. Just chilling. Excellent hiders.

I don’t believe your test kits results, they are inconsistent with your implementation, ie, live rock and sand, bacterias, doesn’t make sense.

Ammonia and nitrite kits are mostly inaccurate since there’s so little of what you are measuring in the sample.

Go with cycled. Be wary of test results that don’t make sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pile of live rock is going to have fauna die-off during transport. There is nothing to unravel. You dumped a large amount of live material into a small volume of water with a small existing colony of nitrifying bacteria. It will take a week or so to catch up and come back to equilibrium.
Thank you for your reply! I get it, and should have known, but I had other members here tell me the ammonia wouldn't be an issue setting up the tanks this way with aquacultured live rock and sand. Even TBS says to expect an ammonia spike over the first day or so, not going on 5 days now.

But OK, I concede that I'm a noob or at least made a noob mistake. So what do I do now, just wait it out?

Is there any chance the mantis may be hiding?

Thank you again!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the red sea is not a good indication at all, I have a thread where it's misreading for nine straight pages/50 examples in perfectly running reefs. your first step is to cease using testing and change to other methods from new cycling science: number of days running, source of rock, tank pic.

I saw a mantis post the other day in a fully cycled tank where it was having trouble, that can be happening here too

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what you describe, your tank would have been capable of housing your first fish immediately, however, I’m not sure how a mantis would do in a new and small system, or if it’s load is much more than 1-2 fish.

I don’t think it’s dead. Just chilling. Excellent hiders.

I don’t believe your test kits results, they are inconsistent with your implementation, ie, live rock and sand, bacterias, doesn’t make sense.
Are you basically saying that you wouldn't expect my ammonia to be so (seemingly) high when using the aquacultured live rock and sand?

I am definitely not married to the Red Sea test kit, nor do I believe that it's some super accurate thing. In fact, this is the first time I have ever used the Red Sea kit, in the past I have used API, and I do have a bunch of Hana Checkers, but not for ammonia.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the red sea is not a good indication at all, I have a thread where it's misreading for nine straight pages/50 examples in perfectly running reefs. your first step is to cease using testing and change to other methods from new cycling science: number of days running, source of rock, tank pic.
Thank you, that makes sense. I'll try to get a pic up in a few.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I get it, and should have known, but I had other members here tell me the ammonia wouldn't be an issue setting up the tanks this way with aquacultured live rock and sand.
Reefing (any hobby) in general is riddled with more bad advice than good.

Even TBS says to expect an ammonia spike over the first day or so, not going on 5 days now.
Of course, there is fauna die-off in transport and if the added volume of media is significant. so will the resulting spike be.

But OK, I concede that I'm a noob or at least made a noob mistake. So what do I do now, just wait it out?
Water changes and waiting. Get the mantis out maybe into a holding system if you can.

Is there any chance the mantis may be hiding?

Thank you again!
High ammonia will burn/kill inverts.... I assume he has perished if you levels are high and remained there.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you basically saying that you wouldn't expect my ammonia to be so (seemingly) high when using the aquacultured live rock and sand?

I am definitely not married to the Red Sea test kit, nor do I believe that it's some super accurate thing. In fact, this is the first time I have ever used the Red Sea kit, in the past I have used API, and I do have a bunch of Hana Checkers, but not for ammonia.
Absolutely saying that.

I find nothing wrong whatsoever in your mantis shrimp set up.

Provided you have a filter and a skimmer, that’s all that’s required.

I have never found a hobby grade ammonia test that was accurate.

The tank ran for 3 weeks, 3 days would have been safe.

Dr. Tim’s I use on every new set up and works well, I mix a few types for some diversity.

I’d just stop doing anything for a week, see if he materializes.

If alive, will get hungry fast.

Last edited:

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Fish Fan - Please read my recent experience with life gulf rock. It's post #25 from July '23. It doesn't change my feeling about using live rock, but, I will execute a different plan next time. If the rocks are going in a new tank, I will do a dark cure for 30 days in a brute, I never want to have to deal with that stench again. It had to be a week that the first floor of my house smelled like a morgue with a broken AC system. I will say, that it is November 18, I put the rock in the tank around 7/4. The only uglies I have had were a small 3-4 day stint of diatoms. But, even with 70 pounds of live rock, I pushed on the razors edge a little far, which isn't in that write up, as it came later. I had 2 fish in the tank for 3 days. I added 3 in a 2 day period, and the tanks cycle took a few days to catch up and digest the ammonia spike. 50% water changes kept the fish more comfortable, but, even with these magic rocks, you can rush everything.

Here is my latest experience with live gulf rock, this write up is based on my second go with them, fyi.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics. Please do not be too critical, these tanks are in a temporary location as I’m in the process of building custom stands for them. And there’s really no aquascape yet, I just kind of piled things in there for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 69

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id run purigen and zeolite to help you with amonia rather then doing a 100% water change.
This will allow some amonia in the system to so your biological has something to get a foot hold of.
Just make sure you don't run zeolite with corals inside, as i heard bad things can happen.

Your never suposed to do a 100% water change unless its a hail mary and your litterally walking on a burning bridge.

Also running some activated carbon will help somewhat incase you got some form of toxin, as well as cuprisorb incase you got some form of heavy metals.

This would be my attack route at your possition, until you get some form of equalibirum foothold, then you can get rid of the cuprisorb, then zeolite, and i would keep the purigen even after the tank is cycled.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Fish Fan - Please read my recent experience with life gulf rock. It's post #25 from July '23. It doesn't change my feeling about using live rock, but, I will execute a different plan next time. If the rocks are going in a new tank, I will do a dark cure for 30 days in a brute, I never want to have to deal with that stench again. It had to be a week that the first floor of my house smelled like a morgue with a broken AC system. I will say, that it is November 18, I put the rock in the tank around 7/4. The only uglies I have had were a small 3-4 day stint of diatoms. But, even with 70 pounds of live rock, I pushed on the razors edge a little far, which isn't in that write up, as it came later. I had 2 fish in the tank for 3 days. I added 3 in a 2 day period, and the tanks cycle took a few days to catch up and digest the ammonia spike. 50% water changes kept the fish more comfortable, but, even with these magic rocks, you can rush everything.

Here is my latest experience with live gulf rock, this write up is based on my second go with them, fyi.

I should mention, the write up is to focus on the rock, not the vendor. Both are great vendors, and I would buy from both today. In fact, I just tried to get an order for next week and sadly they aren't shipping next week. I want to add to a mature mixed display I have that could benefit from the biodiversity. I share my write up that nothing in life is perfect. There are a million ways people tell you to do things, and this is just one example to perhaps walk you off the ledge.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks if one collects and ships 10 pounds of live rock to somebody and they dump it in 10 gallons of water, there is going to be a spike. To argue any differently is to be wholly naive to what is occurring,

No wonder the OP is confused… give it ten mins and somebody will be telling him he needs to dose phosphate.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I fishless cycled the tank with Dr. Tim's products and plastic bimedia in the filter section of the tanks. Several weeks later, I then added aquacultured live rock and sand, not dry rock, and definitely no fish.
DR Timms suck, another poster here mentioned same issue using Dr. Timms
If your dealing with Ammonia issue dose Special Blend by Microbe lift or night out ii by same brand.

I don’t know why reefers don’t know about microbe lift special blend and night out ii.
Your tanks will be cycled with enough bacteria to home life and ammonia no longer traceable. Add some Matrex by Seachem to your media pan

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back