Nori and nutrients

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
824
Location
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people leaving nori in their tanks all day. I would like too for my Idols and tangs. I was just curious, doesn't the stuff that breaks off just sit and add phosphates and nutrients to the water?
 
In the end, its only the amount added daily that matters, not what eats it. An adult fish excretes nearly all of the N and P in the nori as ammonia and phosphate. Even growing juveniles excrete most of it. Being eaten by a fish does not keep the nutrients out of the water. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new