Normal water change gone wrong

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my weekly water change the same way I've Allways done it. This time half of my corals closed up and look like crap. Everything kind of has a white outlining on it.
The only difference was after mixing salt in Rodi water, I noticed next morning pump was not working so I replaced with new pump and continued to let mix for another 5 hours before water change. Usually 24 hrs of mixing.
After I was done I noticed some stringy, slimy stuff kind of stretching from coral to coral (I've seen this before, just not as much).
Waited a couple of hours and tested water. Perameters were normal except mag. was a little higher than normal.
Alk 9
Cal 420
Mag 1470
PH 7.9 a little lower than normal
Ammonia 0.25 usually 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos 0
55 gal dt
20 gal sump
Lots of cheato. Bubble Maggus curve 5.
Media reactor with carbon and gfo.
Reef crystal for salt.
Anyone know what might have caused this?

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1487034051828.jpeg
1487034042498.jpeg
1487034031487.jpeg
1487034024814.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could b a reaction to the ammonia amounts...any idea as to why its present? Did something die?

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is new, only used it for a week on my media reactor. I did have a chunk of coral die two weeks ago and skeleton is still in tank.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop feeding fine particulates for now, and do another water change as soon as u can.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do another water change, it will only cause more stress. I would add some prime and potentially start with GAC with a low flow (1 x tank volume per day).

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the pump you mixed the water with the one you found not working the next day? Maybe the new water wasn't mixed well enough? My PH usually goes right to 8.3/8.4 after a WC.
Possibly, but it looked clear with no salt at bottom of barrel

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some new salt and keep the old salt as a reserve if no other issues found elsewhere. Do a series of water changes maybe 3 25% over a week or so. Something may have been way out of whack with your salt, a contaminant etc., all else being equal. Check salinity at LFS if possible to see if your instrument is off. Sounds very frustrating when you do everything right and it blows up on you. Good luck!

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took so long to respond. I waited for next scheduled weekly water change instead of right away like some mentioned.
Corals were slowly coming around before said water change. But my weekly wc brought everything back right away. That being said you guys were right, I should have changed water sooner.
So, it was either bad salt (wich I tossed out) or something to do with pump crapping out in mixing container. I'm thinking more towards pump since I used same salt in previous wc. Too much money invested to chance it though.

THANKS!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back