Not Another Cycling Question... Can I Be Done Yet?

Warfilter42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any benefit to continuing to dose ammonia or should I call it good?

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 74

All right... first tank, hear me out. In all honesty I can continue dosing as I likely won't be adding fish for at least 2-3 weeks I'd guess (need to QT). But I've dosed ammonium chloride to 2ppm - or slightly above - 6-7 times over the past month and my nitrates are getting to the point where I might need more than one nearly full water change to bring back down.

Parameters alone might say "god no", but 2ppm ammonia only clears in roughly 24-28 hours. And nitrite not for 36-40. Per Dr. Tim's instruction I should keep going until I can clear 2ppm in 24 hours, but I've seen the same said for 1ppm ammonia. Is there much of a benefit here when I'm not planning to introduce that level of bioload immediately anyway?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you’re all good just make sure you get something in there soon to produce ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. Nitrite not harmful to fish at all in a saltwater tank. As long as your ammonia is clearing your good to go

Upvote 0

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Salty Crew

no need to dose anymore ammonia. large water change and will be set to add a couple of fish when they finish their QT. just don't add to many at once.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Warfilter42

Warfilter42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Any recommended water change % or target nitrate I should shoot for? Tank will be mostly LPS eventually if that matters this early on.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you’re all good just make sure you get something in there soon to produce ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. Nitrite not harmful to fish at all in a saltwater tank. As long as your ammonia is clearing your good to go

Not true that nitrite is not totally harmless. I know one study where the clownfish demonstrated issues at I think 25ppm. It's just no where near as problematic as ammonia or with nitrite in freshwater fish

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes really won’t get it down. Their are chemicals, Seachem etc.
This is incorrect!

Water changes are the #1 easiest way to reduce nitrates, especially in a tank with no inhabitants that might be disturbed by large changes in other parameters (i.e. calcium/magnesium/alk).

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not true that nitrite is not totally harmless. I know one study where the clownfish demonstrated issues at I think 25ppm. It's just not as at dangerous at low levels as it is in fw nor as deadly as ammonia

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back