Not gonna lie looks like snake oil

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used the product (combination of sand and rubble) in two tanks I started on September 22' it is the first time I have gone through the start-up phase with no hair algae, Cyano, or any real algae blooms.

The Coraline algae growth has been explosive. I had never had that before, which feels like a plus, my biggest frustration is the time it takes testing results/reports to comeback ( 5-7 weeks).

There are so many factors in play its hard to say why this "clean" cycling of the tank occurred but having setup and run may tanks over my 40 yrs of having saltwater tanks I would use the product again, I do think there is something to having the biodiversity of bacteria ext in the tank early on.
This might be true. However, every time you add a coral, etc - you are adding the same diversity, right? The question is is this product any better or worse than other sources of 'diversity'?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since day one in this hobby I've always taken the approach of "might work might not" with everything I've done. There's plenty of ways to burn a $100 bill in this hobby.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be true. However, every time you add a coral, etc - you are adding the same diversity, right? The question is is this product any better or worse than other sources of 'diversity'?

• Source A, oceanic rubble
  • Source B, oceanic rubble, batch numbered and tested, containing a report of pathogens, parasites, and other unwanted organisms if any

As to your specific question is it better or worse? I don't know. I only know what is different. Both are being sold as oceanic rubble with diversity but only one comes with a cleanliness report. I would say if that matters to the hobbyist than it would have a better checkmark. Accuracy - I'll defer. There is another thread here talking about the tests, results, and BRS data.

I've personally not used it not that it matters any.

Edit: hope your day is going well.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping SW tanks for 40 years now and this is just the latest in a super long line of products that will come and then most likely go.

I am at the point now where I may be packing it up soon. This hobby has become way to commercially orientated for my liking.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping SW tanks for 40 years now and this is just the latest in a super long line of products that will come and then most likely go.

I would say that it depends on the data, report, and ease of interpretation by the hobbyist. Also cross referencing with visual references. If it doesn't find a way to do ease and pretty then I would agree. This is of course assuming the data is accurate.

We can use the current NEW ICP RESULTS PLEASE HELP ME INTERPT RESULTS posts as a reference of ease of use and pretty (I mean no disrespect to those posting).

I am at the point now where I may be packing it up soon. This hobby has become way to commercially orientated for my liking.

I think if one can ignore the noise and over commercialization then it is still enjoyable. Both of those mean taking a step back from social media (in my opinion).

Hope your day is going well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  • Source A, oceanic rubble
  • Source B, oceanic rubble, batch numbered and tested, containing a report of pathogens, parasites, and other unwanted organisms if any

As to your specific question is it better or worse? I don't know. I only know what is different. Both are being sold as oceanic rubble with diversity but only one comes with a cleanliness report. I would say if that matters to the hobbyist than it would have a better checkmark. Accuracy - I'll defer. There is another thread here talking about the tests, results, and BRS data.

I've personally not used it not that it matters any.

Edit: hope your day is going well.
There is sampling error in every sample. For example - no company can just go ahead and analyze every crack in every rock. IMHO - it's a great marketing technique - but - perhaps not so much common sense. Thanks - my day is going well:)

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just choose not to buy things and continue as you have been, though? The basics are probably (very close to) the same over the years

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just choose not to buy things and continue as you have been, though? The basics are probably (very close to) the same over the years
BTW I only say this because as a community, we could probably use more 40 year in reefers sharing thier experiences and advice than less :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back