Sohal tang element ID

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2647.jpeg

Here is my Sohal tang, Jefe. Recently we have been plagued by ick a mystery disease. The fish that die would get clody eyes and become lethargic while also having spots. I’m thinking it is a mix of velvet and ick. I did a WC today and yesterday of 15 gallons so 30 total. This is a 5ft 130 gallon total volume tank.

Deaths so far: threadfin butterfly fish, mandarin goby, file fish, Midas blenny. I lost the Midas and mandarin today. Now sorry for the bad pics of the mandarin as these were the only pics I took of the issue. The night before the file fishes death. Clearly its fins have been nipped and there is this patch by its top fins. That’s who I think we got ick from. When we took it home and put it in our tank it just stayed white and hid all the time.

Now today we web to the fish store and an employee said that copper was pretty much outdated and based on my stocking by trying to catch them all and put them in a QT it would cause more harm than good. We were sold Polyp lab Medic and from what I read here either it’s “snake oil” or “management”. I asked if he’s used before and he said on the stores fish as well as his own personal tank. He does not run a sterilizer but he said it works. We also purchased a 24w UV sterilizer as well and it will be here tomorrow. We added the medications per the directions and are going to monitor throughout the medication process. Our second dose is tonight at like 11pm.

Current stocking: 1 sohal, 1 brittle star, 2 fire goby’s, 2 fire shrimps, 2 skunk cleaners, 1 sixline wrasse.
IMG_2648.jpeg
IMG_2645.jpeg
IMG_2651.jpeg
IMG_2650.jpeg IMG_2645.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2647.jpeg

Here is my Sohal tang, Jefe. Recently we have been plagued by ick a mystery disease. The fish that die would get clody eyes and become lethargic while also having spots. I’m thinking it is a mix of velvet and ick. I did a WC today and yesterday of 15 gallons so 30 total. This is a 5ft 130 gallon total volume tank.

Deaths so far: threadfin butterfly fish, mandarin goby, file fish, Midas blenny. I lost the Midas and mandarin today. Now sorry for the bad pics of the mandarin as these were the only pics I took of the issue. The night before the file fishes death. Clearly its fins have been nipped and there is this patch by its top fins. That’s who I think we got ick from. When we took it home and put it in our tank it just stayed white and hid all the time.

Now today we web to the fish store and an employee said that copper was pretty much outdated and based on my stocking by trying to catch them all and put them in a QT it would cause more harm than good. We were sold Polyp lab Medic and from what I read here either it’s “snake oil” or “management”. I asked if he’s used before and he said on the stores fish as well as his own personal tank. He does not run a sterilizer but he said it works. We also purchased a 24w UV sterilizer as well and it will be here tomorrow. We added the medications per the directions and are going to monitor throughout the medication process. Our second dose is tonight at like 11pm.

Current stocking: 1 sohal, 1 brittle star, 2 fire goby’s, 2 fire shrimps, 2 skunk cleaners, 1 sixline wrasse.
IMG_2648.jpeg
IMG_2645.jpeg
IMG_2651.jpeg
IMG_2650.jpeg IMG_2645.jpeg

Weird - I'd swear I've seen that picture of the mandarin in the past week or so, did you have another thread on this?

The filefish looks like it has been attacked by other fish, the mandarin could have had ich, but the Sohal looks pretty good overall.

Coppersafe is far superior to Polyp Lab Medic for controlling ich, but of course, it cannot be used in a tank with invertebrates or coral substrate.

Jay

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird - I'd swear I've seen that picture of the mandarin in the past week or so, did you have another thread on this?

The filefish looks like it has been attacked by other fish, the mandarin could have had ich, but the Sohal looks pretty good overall.

Coppersafe is far superior to Polyp Lab Medic for controlling ich, but of course, it cannot be used in a tank with invertebrates or coral substrate.

Jay
Yup you have seen that mandarin because that was my mandarin. It has since passed away. My sohal is my main focus right now as I’m in day 3 of treatment and I’m not seeing any progress. I also installed a UV sterilizer aswell in my sump yesterday. Still scratching on sand and I still see spots. Good news is that it’s still eating. Polyp lab medic is all I have because I don’t have a QT tank and have inverts so I can’t dose copper. Now if I had a FOWLR that would be different but I need the pods for another future mandarin or scooter blenny(s). We are pretty much paying for our mistakes now. Do you know any reputable sellers for QT’d fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cant see much in the pictures but can say. . . Jay is correct with utilizing coppersafe at 2.5 monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand. Also realize, the UV unit will be a great addition but if they gave you the impression it will fix the issue, it will not. Once you get rid of the disease, is when it will be most effective. A Sterilizer unit will address free floating organisms and what passes through it channel and Not erase parasites from fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup you have seen that mandarin because that was my mandarin. It has since passed away. My sohal is my main focus right now as I’m in day 3 of treatment and I’m not seeing any progress. I also installed a UV sterilizer aswell in my sump yesterday. Still scratching on sand and I still see spots. Good news is that it’s still eating. Polyp lab medic is all I have because I don’t have a QT tank and have inverts so I can’t dose copper. Now if I had a FOWLR that would be different but I need the pods for another future mandarin or scooter blenny(s). We are pretty much paying for our mistakes now. Do you know any reputable sellers for QT’d fish?
UV is most effective if it takes water out of the main tank and return to the main tank. If it pulls from and returns to the sump, any benefit for disease control would be minimal.

I haven’t bought pre quarantined fish since I do it myself. There is also diminishing returns if you add pre quarantined fish to a tank that has non quarantined fish in it.

That said, this company has a good process:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back