(not just) curing dry live Fiji rock

Jim Scannell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read everything I could find on curing dry live rock and basically they just state how to get it safe to put in the display tank. My goal is to make the rock a biological powerhouse, not just safe. I got my 100g reef tank last November. It was set up for 2 years before I bought it from a widow. I tore it down and moved it 75 miles to my home and set it up with existing rock, sand, and water. I was never able to detect any ammonia and nitrite but nitrate was high. I did numerous 40% water changes but it was still high. I added 40# of live sand and 40# of live rock which still didn't bring down nitrates. 2 months ago I added a 29g sump with a deep sand bed (40# in a 12"x12" section 6" deep) which I put on top of 16oz of Microbacter 7. It seems to have reduced nitrates some but they are still high.

Yesterday I got 50# of dry live Fiji rock, 16 oz of Microbacter 7 and 2x1300gph circulation pumps. I put the rock and pumps in my 20g quarantine tank and added a capful of Microbacter 7. I did not clean debris off rock first as I do not want to limit ammonia which would limit bacteria growth. I plan to add a capful of Microbacter 7 every day for 2 months as well as add Carib Sea Purple Up and have light on 4 hours per day.

I will be doing 66% (10 gallons) weekly water changes. I was doing 20% every 2 weeks on my 100g but while curing the rock I will do 10% weekly and use that water for the 10 gallons for the curing rock.

Any Suggestions??

Thanks!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it sit for a month with no WC. Then do a couple big ones before you add the first fish.

Look at Garf grunge at garf.org to make it the biological powerhouse of your dreams.

OP
OP
Jim Scannell

Jim Scannell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! GARF now sells Coralline Nuggets! I couldn't find any place that actually sold coralline algae so I am so excited to receive the order I placed. They are throwing in a pound of GARF Grunge and if it doesn't look like sludge I may get more for my main tank. They recommend 1# for every 5 gallons of water but I don't want to add 20# of sludge to my pretty white sand :) I suppose I could just put it in my sump which would be the best idea anyway.

After 4 days I checked the temp of my curing tank and it was 88°F. Is that hot enough to kill the bacteria I've been adding? I unplugged the heater and opened the top and will check the temp tomorrow. I guess if it is still hot I will have to get the wavemaker controller I've been putting off to cycle the powerheads that are raising the temp. I only have a standard freshwater fluorescent hood on that tank and I've only had it on 4 hours a day so I don't think it was responsible for the high temp.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back