Status
Not open for further replies.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Climate change is an apt term, I find it amusing that everyone thinks that humans can manage something that's the size of the earth. Are green house gasses real, of course. Do Humans have this big of an impact on something the size of the earth? I don't know. I'd be curious what percentage of green house gasses are man made (and what goes into the definition of man made) and what is added by our planet.

Many are admitting that volcanic activity has increased over the past few decades. Something that has been cyclic and integral to changing the earth's landscape, temperature, humidity, and make up. The ice age, the melting of the ice age was done when humans didn't drive cars.

Unfortunately, this could be a few milenia cycle of actual climate change where humans are near irrelevant as to whether this change happens or not. The sun has cycles, interstellar influences have cycles, the planet's own chaotic activity has cycles.

To say that all the changes we're experiencing is the blame of humans seems to disregard all the changes the earth has gone through prior to humans ever existing!

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The barracuda are mostly gone due to years of unfortunately unregulated commercial fishing in Florida.

We don't eat them much here but they're a delicacie in the Bahamas and other places.
I agree on the Cuda -
Went fishing in Mexico years ago, dropped $$$ on a charter, and we went fishing FOR Barracuda. I thought I was on Punked but they eat them like crazy.

This particular Barracuda was a fixture in the Jesus reef for so many years the locals named him, I watched him eat a diamond earring that fell out of my Aunts ear one time.

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born in Florida but haven't been in its waters in nearly a decade since moving away. I'm reading reports of literal 100 degree water? Thats crazy, thats like swimming essentially in a hot tub right?

What's the general sentiment for the beaches for the people that live at these 100 degree water beaches, is the state warning people to avoid getting into the beaches?

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Climate change is an apt term, I find it amusing that everyone thinks that humans can manage something that's the size of the earth. Are green house gasses real, of course. Do Humans have this big of an impact on something the size of the earth? I don't know. I'd be curious what percentage of green house gasses are man made (and what goes into the definition of man made) and what is added by our planet.

What??? It's almost universally agreed that humans are responsible for the vast majority of greenhouse gas emissions between methane and co2. This is not AT ALL disputed and should not be up for discussion in any space. We know what is causing it, there just isn't being anything done to stop it - how you feel on that often becomes political, but the facts of the cause are not disputed.

Last edited:

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What??? It's almost universally agreed that humans are responsible for the vast majority of greenhouse gas emissions between methane and co2. Not sure if you're living under a rock or just hiding from reality. We know what is causing it, there just isn't being anything done to stop it.
Another contributor exacerbated by the warming is release of methane locked in arctic permafrost as it thaws (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_methane_emissions).

And read this….

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is another reason why I think our coral tanks are so much more critical. I view my tank as a preservation system. The more I can cultivate and propogate, the better. If only our home tanks could be treated as a non profit that we could register as a preservation system!
There are Killifish strains that no longer exist in Africa thanks to short sighted policies…If hobbyist didn’t collect them, they would be gone
In the grand scheme of things, our hobby does not help reef system in the wild. The amount of corals that die in transit and in tanks far out weigh what we can aquaculture.
I used to guilt trip over our role in the general destruction, esp. back when Filipinos cyanide fish for the hobby, but its a drop in the bucket to what anchors, and commercial fishing does…

Yea Florida resident it’s been pretty miserable in the state lately
They can just re-write the weather reports, history is quite flexible in that state…
the US blowing up the Nordstream pipeline caused far more harm than decades of us driving, but feel free to eat bugs and give up your AC while the elites keep jetsetting everywhere.

1690412190900.png
We shudda had flying cars by now, but to your point the rich will jet around the planet anyway so I’m not giving up my Sierra to drive a Prius….

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for your enthusiast engagement. Please avoid the jabs, personal attacks, or witty remarks directed at each other. Realize that while we may all be passionate about reefing, we may not all agree on the specifics about how to keep an aquarium, about the environment, and a large variety of existential issues. However, the "be nice" principle does apply here at R2R.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while the Transportation Stats should change and become lower, E.Power will go up to generate more power for all those Tesla's.
This is not a Net Zero proposition

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another contributor exacerbated by the warming is release of methane locked in arctic permafrost as it thaws (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_methane_emissions).

And read this….
Over at least the past million years, glacial and interglacial cycles have been triggered by variations in how much sunlight reaches the Northern Hemisphere in the summer, which are driven by small variations in the geometry of Earth’s axis and its orbit around the Sun. But these fluctuations in sunlight aren’t enough on their own to bring about full-blown ice ages and interglacials. They trigger several feedback loops that amplify the original warming or cooling. During an interglacial,

• sea ice and snow retreat, reducing the amount of sunlight the Earth reflects;
  • warming increases atmospheric water vapor, which is a powerful greenhouse gas;
  • permafrost thaws and decomposes, releasing more methane and carbon dioxide; and
  • the ocean warms and releases dissolved carbon dioxide, which traps even more heat.
These feedbacks amplify the initial warming until the Earth’s orbit goes through a phase during which the amount of Northern Hemisphere summer sunlight is minimized. Then these feedbacks operate in reverse, reinforcing the cooling trend.

From: https://www.climate.gov/news-featur...#:~:text=Yes.,peaked* around 20,000 years ago.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We may have drifted slightly away from Florida's reefs and from reefing in general. We're going to hit pause, review the thread, and give everyone a chance to step back. If you have specific questions, please reach out to me, or any of the staff, directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back