Not making any progress with my 3+ month long battle with Bubble Algae, starting to get very frustrated. Any advice

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In late summer I noticed little patches of BA popping up around my tank, and while I tried to remove what I could, a lot of small pieces were growing around the bases of my softies, so I didn't want to hurt the coral trying to remove it. I went off to college and in October my parents who were caring for the tank mentioned that the BA was starting to get pretty bad so I had them start changing the fleece out weekly and we added 2 emerald crabs to the system, while we tried scraping off what we could during water changes. After I got back from college though it became apparent that there was a biblical infestation of BA in the tank; literally just about every surface was coated in it. The tank is fed pretty lightly and tests revealed undetectable phosphate and <5 PPM nitrate, so I'm guessing that the algae is just using up all the organics as soon as they enter the water. I started dosing Microbacter Clean but 2 weeks in and there are no noticeable changes in the amount of algae.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? I have had luck with yellow tangs being able to control the amount of bubble algae in a tank.
The tank is fed pretty lightly and tests revealed undetectable phosphate and <5 PPM nitrate, so I'm guessing that the algae is just using up all the organics as soon as they enter the water.
what test kits are you using? (please not API)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In late summer I noticed little patches of BA popping up around my tank, and while I tried to remove what I could, a lot of small pieces were growing around the bases of my softies, so I didn't want to hurt the coral trying to remove it. I went off to college and in October my parents who were caring for the tank mentioned that the BA was starting to get pretty bad so I had them start changing the fleece out weekly and we added 2 emerald crabs to the system, while we tried scraping off what we could during water changes. After I got back from college though it became apparent that there was a biblical infestation of BA in the tank; literally just about every surface was coated in it. The tank is fed pretty lightly and tests revealed undetectable phosphate and <5 PPM nitrate, so I'm guessing that the algae is just using up all the organics as soon as they enter the water. I started dosing Microbacter Clean but 2 weeks in and there are no noticeable changes in the amount of algae.
Hey man, have a photo of your tank?

I had a very nasty bubble algae outbreak for about 4 years, untill now 8 years in, it's still being managed for me. It took 10 emerald crabs, and never have to really worry about it anymore. It was nearly on every square inch of my system at one point.

I see a few straggler clusters from time to time but never stuck around look enuff to ever be an issue. People tend to shy away from emerald crabs just incase they decide to munch on your coral, if you can't humanely get them by hand, interceptor makes them drunk. Can just relocate after treatment.

20221117_175510.jpg 20221117_174719.jpg 20221117_174725.jpg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've been dealing with it myself in my trough. I did as much manual removal as possible and then I've been adding emerald crabs. I also have a few livebearer nets where I'm dropping in frags for them to clean. I'm turning the tide but it's still a pita. I also had it pop up in the display and I dropped in about a dozen emeralds... its completely eradicated there. Just be forewarned there's a high chance emeralds will eventually go rouge.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you figure it out. I've had bubble algae for years now. Management is what I do now. Manual removal of what you can get to is the best way to fight it.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a rigid airline and just suck them out. When they pop the juice flows into the straw:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: just repeat until you get them all….your in for the long fight:expressionless-face:

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off kudos to your parents for helping while you were away. In my experience with BA or any type of nuisance algae adding a form of competition to that algae is something I would consider. This is just my opinion and has worked for me in some way so take that for what it’s worth. Big ball of chaeto algae will also uptake nutrients which of course you can dose accordingly but may help in starving out whatever is left of your BA after you pick it all off which you might have to do daily considering your massive biblical level event. You could make a refugium for the chaeto easily even if you don’t have a sump and I’d be happy to advise you on cheap diy ways to do that if needed

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back