Red Sea Reefer XXL 750 (Gen 2)

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after only a short time in the hobby I have decided it would be a genius idea to get my first large tank, the Red Sea Reefer XXL 750 G2. Thanks to @TopShelfAquatics I was able to get it 15% off so it was hard to say no too.

The eventual plan is for a mixed reef tank but I won't be stocking until at least the new year. Went ahead and got the return pump as well, I went with the Vectra L2 Centrifugal Pump. Not sure what I am gonna do for lighting yet so any advice/ideas are appreciated. This is not only my first large tank, but also my first non-AIO tank, since my other tanks are all AIO Innovative Marine tanks (10g, 20g, 50g).

The tank, stand, and sump are being delivered and set up this Monday the 5th, so the plan is to just get it set up and cycled in time for the new year. Also coming in Monday is the sand and maybe rock, not sure yet since I haven't picked it out yet. However, I went with 140 lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Reef Grade Sand and just 55 lbs of dry live rock. I also decided to get a small custom aquascape, not sure what I am gonna do with it, thinking maybe like a Torch island or Zoa island, something cool that's all I know.

I plan on updating this thread when stuff is bought/added and weekly updates on the setup process, it's gonna be an interesting one and I am really excited to get started, especially since it is my first non-AIO build I am really excited to work with a sump and have a refugium.

Also, any advice/pointers or ideas for the tank are greatly appreciated!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on the new Red Sea! 140lbs should give you a nice, thick sand bed. Definitely look at a Red Sea Reef Mat 1200 for your system - well worth the upgrade! I have the same (v3) tank, and if you click the build link to the left you can get a full list of my equipment, specifications, supplements, etc.

OP
OP
Smith.Tyler

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on the new Red Sea! 140lbs should give you a nice, thick sand bed. Definitely look at a Red Sea Reef Mat 1200 for your system - well worth the upgrade! I have the same (v3) tank, and if you click the build link to the left you can get a full list of my equipment, specifications, supplements, etc.
Is it able to fit in sump, I know its a 40gal sump and wasnt sure if I should go with 500 or 1200

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it able to fit in sump, I know its a 40gal sump and wasnt sure if I should go with 500 or 1200
I started with the 500 but it couldn't keep up with my bio load (I was replacing fleece rolls every 5-7 days) and upgraded to the larger 1200 a few months ago (now a fleece roll lasts almost a month). Yes, it does fit - but you do need to remove the motor, slip it in sideways and then rotate down 90° into place.

Apologies for the quick images - but this is where I positioned mine after removing the filter sock tray.

82BEA5FE-AE8E-4129-B8F3-3519F94FE2A2.JPG

7BB2488D-3394-47B7-B537-58D5B3B8C165.JPG

OP
OP
Smith.Tyler

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the 500 but it couldn't keep up with my bio load (I was replacing fleece rolls every 5-7 days) and upgraded to the larger 1200 a few months ago (now a fleece roll lasts almost a month). Yes, it does fit - but you do need to remove the motor, slip it in sideways and then rotate down 90° into place.

Apologies for the quick images - but this is where I positioned mine after removing the filter sock tray.

82BEA5FE-AE8E-4129-B8F3-3519F94FE2A2.JPG

7BB2488D-3394-47B7-B537-58D5B3B8C165.JPG
Thanks for the pics I see what you mean, how many outlets do you use for the whole setup

OP
OP
Smith.Tyler

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so here we are, the tank has been delivered and setup thanks to @TopShelfAquatics. It looks beautiful so here some pictures I took throughout the day so far

Here is the tank itself
TankShot.jpeg

Here is all my mixing equipment, salt, buckets, and bins, its a lot of fun I promise :p
Salt.jpeg

MixingBucket.jpeg

Water Bin.jpeg

Here is the Sump, Spare Cabinet, and the Rock that I got with it as well (Most of the rock is all bubble wrapped at the moment)
Sump.jpeg

Spare.jpeg

RockETC.jpeg

And last here are all my helpers, Auzzie, Rambo, and Max. (Yes I know Auzzie is giving me a death stare but I promise he is a energetic and loving dog, he was just focused on his bone)
AuzStare.jpeg

Rambo.jpeg

Max.jpeg

So now its time to start putting it together, I will keep the thread updated with each step I complete in the setup and what the next step will be.

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.... just got two new peices of equipemnts for the tank, a IM Helio 1000w heater and a Red Sea 900 skimmer. Two beasts that I cant wait to install! Started the cycle about 4 days ago so now we just wait.
newE.jpeg
Loving that heater in mine already. I just about pulled the trigger on a RS skimmer and glad I decided to wait. They just unveiled the new one. It is great they have the upgrade kit. Very cool build.

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving that heater in mine already. I just about pulled the trigger on a RS skimmer and glad I decided to wait. They just unveiled the new one. It is great they have the upgrade kit. Very cool build.
Where did you put the heater and temp Probe? I have one in my 750 and keep getting the E1 error code

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you have the placement of the heater and probe? I keep getting E1 error codes with mine

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you have the placement of the heater and probe? I keep getting E1 error codes with mine
I have the two heaters on the left side of my sump, right beside where the skimmer will eventually go. I have the temperature probe in the section with the return pump. I wanted them in two separate places. It is consistently holding the temp at 77.
Temp probe is located where the red arrow is pointing.

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3568.jpeg

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am jealous. I wish I could have some big fish. Those doggies are so cute.

I bought the Helios dual heater system when the price dropped. Every now and then one of the heaters just quits working and I can see it in the Apex charts(takes longer to warm up and get a wider temp differential), I have to turn it off and turn back on to get it working right.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back