Not mixing salt after adding it

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yesterday I was getting ready for my 2nd water change on my 3 week old tank. After pouring in my salt with my RODI water I noticed that my pump was broken and as it was later in the evening I couldn’t go get a pump until today. I got a pump and have been letting the water mix all day. I just did my water change and added in the new saltwater and my tank is very cloudy now. The new saltwater did look a little cloudy itself when adding it and I don’t believe it’s the sand causing the cloudiness as it was added back in slowly. Is it bad that I wasn’t able to mix up the saltwater as soon as adding it? And what should I do to proceed?

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yesterday I was getting ready for my 2nd water change on my 3 week old tank. After pouring in my salt with my RODI water I noticed that my pump was broken and as it was later in the evening I couldn’t go get a pump until today. I got a pump and have been letting the water mix all day. I just did my water change and added in the new saltwater and my tank is very cloudy now. The new saltwater did look a little cloudy itself when adding it and I don’t believe it’s the sand causing the cloudiness as it was added back in slowly. Is it bad that I wasn’t able to mix up the saltwater as soon as adding it? And what should I do to proceed?
How many gallons did you mix? Did you use a heater? Usually the warm water helps the salt dissolve faster.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Pro Salt Mix by Red Sea
I used the same in the past, I believe Red Sea only recommended mixing for a certain amount of time. While that is to make sure the other nutrients stay in the water sometimes mixing too much might cause some precipitates. I’m no pro but I don’t think it will cause many problems, as long as the fish are doing good I think you’ll be fine also since it’s such a small amount.

OP
OP
AllAmericanReefs

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same in the past, I believe Red Sea only recommended mixing for a certain amount of time. While that is to make sure the other nutrients stay in the water sometimes mixing too much might cause some precipitates. I’m no pro but I don’t think it will cause many problems, as long as the fish are doing good I think you’ll be fine also since it’s such a small amount.
I don't even have fish yet either I guess I should add

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you doing water changes in a 3 week old tank anyway? You are just dragging out the nitrification cycle even longer with each change! Always try and makes sure your new saltwater is clear before doing your change.

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to that brand of salt, but BRS talks about some salt mixes having sediment in them and they recommend there being a sediment filter on the mixing pump. Most water changes people speak about are for percentage wise smaller amounts than what you did and probably took them much longer to complete than putting in 4 gallons. (like it 8 or 9 minutes for me to do 10 gallons using an apex utility pump and siphoning out water with some automation built in to control the utility pump) You may have some small particulate in your sand (probably clay?) that was adigitated when you added water, even gingerly since it was probably on the top of the sand bed when it originally settled out. For a small tank, what seems gentle, I would guess would still stir up any small particulate that had settled in the top of the sand bed.

Since the sand is already in the tank, you can use a small siphon and pull out the particulate if the siphon is small ( the python 1' siphon https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pro-clean-gravel-wash-python.html ). I have seen videos where people rinse their sand to skip the cloudy phase of a new tank.

Is there a reason you are doing a water change on the tank that is perhaps still cycling? You usually want the water to stay in the tank until the cycle is over. Did you get near zeros for ammonia? (when I first stared the hobby, I didn't read directions on test kits and didn't understand that you have to allow the test to 'develop'). Did you use a 'instant tank cycle' option or fluid add-in?

I mean you are certainly more active in the forums than I am, so if the above isn't helpful, then I apologize in advance :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Pro Salt Mix by Red Sea

Among the most likely to precipitate calcium carbonate due to the high alk in it.

I would not worry about it, but Red Sea recommends using it soon after mixing and limiting the heating as much as possible for this reason.

OP
OP
AllAmericanReefs

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you doing water changes in a 3 week old tank anyway? You are just dragging out the nitrification cycle even longer with each change! Always try and makes sure your new saltwater is clear before doing your change.
The nitrification cycle ended 2 weeks ago.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back