Not off to a great start

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
So here is my update. Please not I am not trying to be hypercritical. I am simply relaying my thoughts based on price, expectations and experience. I want to love this thing, but am not there yet.

I am getting somewhat stable (but kind of questionable) results for several of the tests. Buckle in this will be long, some of it repeated.

Alk
RedSea Pro - (2 kits) could not get valid results. I don't know if this is kits or bot problems with the RedSeas program.

API - results appear valid - but being only 1dkH in resolution it is hard to tell if this is just lucky or accurate. I am going to test NSW and see what happens when I have a few mins.

Calcium
Using API - results are within 10-15 of the manual API test so not bad and may be stable, but not enough tests yet to determine. A few more days. The bigger issue is that the API test is 40-60 less than Salifert, Hanna and RedSea.

Nitrate and Phosphate
I can't get either to give meaningful results using API or RedSea tests. I don't think there is ANY WAY that I am at 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate, but that is what the bot reads (or close, .02 phosphate). Hanna gives me .12ppm - new RedSea reagents but not had a chance to use them yet to verify.

I can maybe swallow the 0 ppm nitrate - but need one more test kit to accept that. Maybe tomorrow?

Magnesium
RedSea loaded - it is reading 100 to 120 low compared to Hanna, and Salifert. Manual RedSea is also low, but not as low as bot. Eyes vs bot and endpoint? I dunno but hanna appears to agree with my eyes on the Salifert comparison. Bot is also wandering a bit but hanna results and salifert don't. So there is that too.

So bot related - I don't have a handle on the results accuracy or repeatability yet but am in better shape than I was on day 1 and 2. I can't tell you what has changed though and that is a concern too. We will go over that shortly... but let's switch gears for a moment (see updates).

That brings to ReefKinetics, the FB forum and my general impression thus far of many things.

The FB group has plenty of typical arrogant FB personalities mixed in with "happy" customers (fans if you will) that are all too happy to "white knight" and frustrated new owners looking for support (mostly because there is no real documentation).

Very similar to their forum here. ReefKinetics pretty much refrains from responding unless they can put a positive spin on the response, but unlike here, most negative responses and conversations are scrubbed from public view. Judge this as you see fit. I personally think it does for more damage than good, but it is their prerogative.

So in a nutshell community "support" is more akin to "we don't have problems you must be a hater or an idiot". Don't waste your time in the FB group unless you are there to sing happy song with other like minded happy people.

The only benefit of the FB group (my opinion) is being able to DM "Hady" directly. He (I think) earnestly does try to provide support. I have not used the ticketing system, but that may be an even better bet than bother with FB at all.

Anecdote: A certain "Patrick" there who is also an admin (I am told) at the Focustronic (not affiliate but private) support group was rather arrogant toward a new member and I responded that it was not helpful...he sent me a rather nasty 2 word DM and then insta-blocked me :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:... reminding me that maturity (this guys profile shows he is maybe 50) abounds on FB and reinforcing the fact that I would be far better served removing myself from the group.

So ignoring the actual results - here is my updated impression of the robot and software not in any particular order.

-60ml vials DO NOT FIT - They are useable. but do NOT FIT

-Vial must be 55% full to run a test. This is 100% lazy coding. Needle length and vial dimensions are know, it would be trivial to know when (with a safety margin for both needle depth and vial volume) that the syringe would draw air and that is far below 55%. For many tests this is just 11 tests before you get a reagent too low error. That is insane, if I full the vial the day I leave and test once a day, I can only be gone 10 days, yet 55% of the reagent is still left but disabled? Lazy coding and logic.

-Schedule management table is lacking info on time and actual test (it shows what you name it) the rest of the data is shown when you drill down into the test line item. Poor UI design.

-Test scheduling is not well managed. Test run times are not taken into consideration in the scheduler so you can easily overlap test start times with a running test. We are told that overlapping tests will be run in sequence one after the next. The problem is that long tests (this with 3 reagents) can timeout waiting... apparently the timeout is counted from when the test is scheduled to start, not when it actually starts. This is something that MUST be fixed and is again (IMHO) just bad logic and coding but worse, the bot is "new" but the software is mature, being the interface for the two prior robots?

-The above issue brings up two more. Firstly the error reporting is bare bones (it absolutely sucks). You can't drill down into errors. On screen errors are temp ambiguous popups that are not logged, etc. This is a major oversight and what feels like more rough edges that could be easily fixed.

-Two, this appears to expose a real-time dependency between the robot and the hosted services. Meaning that if at any time during a test the bot loses comms with the AWS server or there are other conflicts (the schedule run times out because another test is running) the test will fail. This IMHO (if true) is terrible application design. The robot has a powerful single board computer in it. It absolutely should be autonomous, keeping schedules and run everything locally and cache results. The server should send updates and receive results. If the server is needed for actual processing then fine! Cache the data from the test until the server is available to process it. I don't see this to be the case. Again - if this is not they way that this all works, nobody has stepped up to refute it or tell me how it does.

-That brings me to my next point. Why does the robot stop trying to get an IP address if the network fails and comes back? DHCP does not need to time out, but alas it does and if I am out of town and the network reboots, somebody must manually reboot the robot. I can fix this by putting it on a GHL switched receptacle. but still. Rough around the edges for a mature product.

-Mentioned elsewhere, the UI has some graphics bugs on wide screen monitors and some functions are broken in the web browser that work in the ios app. I can't speak to android.

-I don't see a way to choose push or email, I don't think you can turn off email notifications. Not the end of the world but again goes to roughness in an application that should be more refined after this long.

-With the above - units missing all over the place. Also not the end of the world, but just more lack of polish.

-Mentioned several times. Complete lack of documentation. Reef Kinetics, your FB group is not the right place for people to learn how to use the device that they spent $1500 on...

-Yes - this thing can uses a few dozen different test kits. I understand RK not wanting to pick favorites, but at the same time they know what works well and what doesn't. I think this would be important information for them to document clearly (Pros and cons of different kits for each parameter). They don't. I even created a thread in this forum for that purpose and tagged them but they have ignored it.

-choice of disposable insulin type syringe. The model they have chosen has a mushroom shaped plunger tip. This leaves a drop of fluid in the syringe neck... in this case RODI from the cleaning process. The same style of syringe can be purchased with an extended protrusion on the plunger that clears the syringe neck. This would be more appropriate to ensure that the reagent is not AT ALL mixed with a drop of residual RODI water from the cleaning process. This may or may not affect results, but is something that could.

-There does not appear to be a way to calibrate a returned results to a KNOW better value. Example my mag is returned consistently between 1120 and 1160 for this batch of reagent. I have 3 other kits telling me that it is 1220 to 1260. I absolutely should be able to "calibrate" that value to return the proper result. This is another (I feel) oversight.

-UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES - this is a tremendous sore spot for me, especially given the DIRECT dependence on "hosted" services. I asked some pointed questions and got vague answers about how software development, bug tracking and updates were handled. It was basically "we take care of it, don't worry". That is NOT what I wanted to hear. I get the impression that these folks (they did not deny it) tweak things regularly to resolve issues or tweak results, etc. This just CAN'T happen with a live piece of software. When stuff goes sideways on MY bot or YOUR bot and we thing it is reagent based, it could be developer introduced. Likewise (in my case) when the same reagents don't work for 2 days and then suddenly after complaining, thing look better with NO CHANGES on my side, then how do I know what was fixed or if anything was fixed. This (out of all of my issues) is one of the most concerning and could be the deal breaker. We could spend many paragraphs talking about this problem. There MUST be a notice of ANY backend software changes, as end users can't opt-in/out of being affected. There MUST be a complete and easily viewable change log. It would be in RK's best interest to institute a public bug tracker as well.

-Lastly I want to address what I feel may be a major limitation of this technology and reiterate the need for a way for end users to scale or calibrate the returned result.

1 - some brands of tests are know to read lower or higher on average. This is enough of an argument alone. but..

2 - These tests are designed to read by the human eye against an endpoint or color chart. Slight changes in chemistry from batch to batch have little (no) effect on what your eyes can discern, but may be VASTLY different in terms of a fixed colorimetric scale. Nothing is wrong with the test kit, it works for its intended purpose (your eyes) but is not tightly enough quality controlled for colorimeter accuracy. So again the user needs to be able to adjust (scale/calibrate) the returned result.

So - all in all, I still think that the Reefbot Lab has a lot of potential but there are some very rough aspects to it and a few potential deal breakers (the update scenario and extremely tight dependence on hosted servers) for me.

Phew... sorry that was so long.

I think that is one of the best and most complete reviews I have heard on the bot. It also captures quite a bit of the little bits and pieces I was able to find when I was researching the bot and then some.

The Facebook group, imo, is useless in it's current state due to the lack of responses and the couple toxic members that prevent people from asking questions...well until they are moderated. It seems the preferred method of communication is DM, that really only helps that one person instead of the community as a whole. Also, when I only see the post with the issues, and not company follow up, it doesn't give me a warm/fuzzy.

I had a similar interaction with "Patrick" I was told I was whining and was blocked. To top it off, when a couple customers start posting issues, findings, and asking questions they get moderated to one post per day? what the heck is that? If people were truly complaining then THEY can block you, snooze you, or leave the group. What is worse, is when you start hearing how many others it happened as well.

While I applaud that RK is providing free cloud support so you can get results, push test, etc from anywhere. It's dependency on it WAS the biggest thing that caused me hesitation to buy one. Now seeing how inconsistent it is, has inched it's way to the number 1 reason, but barely. Everything else compounds on why I do not want cloud dependency. Starting with the lack of clear communication from RK since the other issues have been popping up from invisible updates, inconsistencies, and generally the lack of responses to valid questions being asked here and even in their official group.

When I first started researching the bot, I saw how the v1 was a flop, read good things about the v2 and saw how active Hady was in the group and it gave me a good feeling about how the company has matured by learning from the previous two iterations. Maybe with these issues you and the others have been highlighting has got him too busy to engage openly, or maybe just life in general as it does happen, but the silence to me is speaking REAL loud. Which was why my main concern, originally, for the Bot was it's cloud dependency....what happens if the company doesn't make it? Then I would have a beautiful paperweight that does nothing unless someone can RE and redevelop the controls for it. I can tinker and tweak things, but I absolutely can't code from scratch. There is a post in this group from Oct 22, 2020 that asked about the bot going autonomous.

I believe the V1 and V2 both had RPI 3Bs(not sure if they were + or not), and the lab could be the same or possibly even a 4B. If so it has MORE than enough processing power to handle everything autonomously. At one point on my RPI 3B+, I had Reef-Pi, Home Assistant Core, Mosquito MQTT Broker, Node-Red and pushing all the data from MQTT and Reef-Pi's API locally and to Grafana as I was testing different dashboards. The memory, 1GB, never was taxed more than 50% and CPU stayed around 12%.

I appreciate your candid review, and hopefully RK will take some of this constructive criticism back and build on it. I still want one, but after seeing the issues you have had and everything you highlighted. I'll stand by and wait to see if they take the feedback being provided and work with it. I sure hope so.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My intention is simply to be honest and try to give a fair assessment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion based on their experience, expectation and understanding. Sadly, what most of the “reviewers” have offered to this point has been fluff aimed at generating content views for monetization or free goods. It (IMHO) gives just about anything they say zero credibility. To that end there is nothing like watching a YouTube personality explaining my overflow and not getting any of it right… :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Someday when you don't need to be an engineer or programmer I'll automate my system. I'll be following your trials and tribulations. Good luck!
Hello,

Maintaining the ReefBot doesn't require any programming or engineering skills. The operations are straightforward, and we're fully prepared to assist all users with any challenges they may face.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
sir, everything you had typed up, I as a new user, have also experienced. I received my unit last week. most of what you're describing as issues, I resolved on my own. Still waiting on support to assist with the rest. The users in the FB group are super helpful but support thus far, incommunicado since Friday. Please keep us posted. There are definitely a lot of poor UI/UX decisions and lot to be desired but I have started scratching the surface and understanding how to get results back on most tests, reliably, with the exception of magnesium. Please feel free to PM me and I'm sure we can start our own support hotline back and forth with things to look out for. Getting it running with the four different videos, none of which are comprehensive and leave out different parts, piece meaning it all together, was really frustrating.

ALL THAT BEING SAID. I am confident I'll be able to get to a place with this in a week or two and feel very good about it. Just really wish the learning curve and experience was more well thought out and documented and support more readily available.
Congratulations on your new device! We apologize for any delays in our weekend responses. We're actively working on increasing our support coverage during American time zones and weekends. If you have any pending tickets, please forward them to [email protected] for prompt assistance. Thank you for your understanding. And of course, we understand how frustrating it could be during first set-ups and we always guide our dear users through the steps till we ensure that all issues are fixed

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Personally if it's difficult to use and obtain accurate results easily I'd feel like I paid just to make things more complicated and be concerned that I actually didnt figure it out...I know others have different opinions though
Hello,
Rest assured, we are dedicated to providing continuous support to our users. Our commitment extends to ensuring that your device is set up flawlessly and functions with utmost precision and accuracy.
Best regards,

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
More updates:

Ran regular res ALK test using redsea pro reagents.
Manul test returned 8
Reefbot test returned 7
KH director telling me I am at 10.9

Tried t run "high resolution" ALK test but the reefbot (using the web dashboard) indicated "Insufficient RODI" whatever that means. The RODI reservoir is set to unlimited and the line plumbed into my RODI ATO tank.
Hello,

In the past, we encountered instances where users faced leakages due to waste container overfill. Additionally, miscalculations in RODI usage led to syringe not cleansing and subsequent reagent contamination. To address these concerns, we have established a secure margin for RODI and waste levels. This setting can be conveniently reset to resume tests smoothly.

Regarding the "unlimited" option displaying "RODI insufficient," we are actively addressing this bug. We anticipate resolving this issue in the upcoming days.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best regards,

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
1691591678497.png

Found another minor issue
Phosphate graph scale is too large. 0 -10 meaning that anything reasonable for a result will basically graph on the baseline and there is no trend line visible. Another very minor issue with likely a very easy fix, but they are piling up.

Rather telling that folks like ReefDudes and the CoralReefTank, etc, never noticed or mentioned any of these issues in their reviews.
Hello, This has been resolved for saltwater tanks, range is now between 0 and 3 ppm. Thanks

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Well they removed my ability to post to the FB group...

I am limited to 1 post per day until sept 6th.

I guess their FB group users complained about the number of posts I made and the notifications. I got DMs from others who are in the same boat. I guess this is typical of vendors FB groups these days and maybe why I avoid them in the first place!

I dunno.. talking to them now. The situation is frustrating, but alas... I still have hope... time will tell.
Hello, Apologies but this was resolved instantly. Kindly let us know if you are still limited

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
They told me that they don't delete posts, but several users have DMd me saying that their posts are deleted and they are limited to one post per day. Scrolling back through history, there are numerous blocks of comments that are no longer visible. So who knows...

I assume that they don't post here because they can't control the conversation like they can on facebook.

I can't get a feel for how many people are having problems and how many are happy. They show Sanjay as having one, I am going to hit him up when I get a chance. I have not talked to him in ages anyway ;)

All of that said, they are working to help me in private - so we will see how that goes.

On side not and to be fair GHL works very hard to move conversations about any kinds of problems form here to their ticket system, they too do not want dirty laundry hanging about. There are numerous other vendors here that outright ignore any issues posted in their forums and only reply when they can put a positive spin on it. I would say that is the norm, even if we don't like it.

So I am going to stay the course for now and see if I can get this thing to provide stable and accurate results. So far that has been somewhat elusive.

I am told that it being above the tank may be a problem. I don't agree (peristaltic pumps are positive displacement, so once calibrated should maintain the calibrated flow). But I will do as they ask for the sake of trying to solve my issues.
Hello again,

I'd like to clarify our comment and post deletion policy. Negative comments are not removed solely based on their nature; in fact, most of the critical comments remain visible and you can check them. However, we do take action in cases where comments or posts contain disrespectful language or target other users similar to what happened yesterday when a user was promptly banned for displaying disrespectful behavior towards you. Please understand that our intention is to maintain a positive and respectful community.

Thank you for your understanding.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
This is exactly why I will not buy from them. When V1 became a dud, they disappeared. The only posts they make on here is to boost their sales. Given the info from their support group they run on Facebook now too... this company wont get a dime from me.. truly a shame
We are sorry to hear this. Being more engaged on this platform is a positive step, and we're trying to be more active on here.
Regarding the past disappearance, various challenges arose during the COVID period that impacted our operations. Rest assured, we remained assisting all of our users during that period on our official support channels. And we are ready to address any concerns you might have with your device. Please don't hesitate to reach out, we're here to ensure your satisfaction.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hope to continue to see a continual and frequent RK presence here. You definetly have more visibility here to be able to promote the products and build up a customer fanbase.

Looking forward to see how the Lab matures.
Thank you very much. We will try our best to do this!

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
My intention is simply to be honest and try to give a fair assessment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion based on their experience, expectation and understanding. Sadly, what most of the “reviewers” have offered to this point has been fluff aimed at generating content views for monetization or free goods. It (IMHO) gives just about anything they say zero credibility. To that end there is nothing like watching a YouTube personality explaining my overflow and not getting any of it right… :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Any new updates on how it is working for you? I bought Monkiboy's Bot. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet. So far i do agree the i structions are lacking, and the app is awkward and the layout could be greatly improved. It does appear they have marked the units of measurement in it now from your feedback. Did the first few tests today, first two gave results. Didt have time to do manual tests to verify the results, but the PO4 high was more of a reported blueish hue than it was green. So far I have tried two NO2 test now, and both failed with a "no response received". I even restarted and waited for it to reconnect before starting a new test. Another reason i had to restart it was because it showed a test pending but would never do anything and the LED was blue. This just pushes my initial thought of the cloud dependency being an poor choice. This will lead to frustration for customers and with the RB's premium price combined with wasting of the time and regents will scare off potential customers.

It is still very early in my use and test, so the jury is still out, hoping for the best, but we will see.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
So tried an NO3 when I went to bed and woke up to another failed. My internet has not gone out, so this is definetly RB/cloud issues.

Screenshot_20230824_050803_ReefKinetics.jpg

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Any new updates on how it is working for you? I bought Monkiboy's Bot. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet. So far i do agree the i structions are lacking, and the app is awkward and the layout could be greatly improved. It does appear they have marked the units of measurement in it now from your feedback. Did the first few tests today, first two gave results. Didt have time to do manual tests to verify the results, but the PO4 high was more of a reported blueish hue than it was green. So far I have tried two NO2 test now, and both failed with a "no response received". I even restarted and waited for it to reconnect before starting a new test. Another reason i had to restart it was because it showed a test pending but would never do anything and the LED was blue. This just pushes my initial thought of the cloud dependency being an poor choice. This will lead to frustration for customers and with the RB's premium price combined with wasting of the time and regents will scare off potential customers.

It is still very early in my use and test, so the jury is still out, hoping for the best, but we will see.
Hello,

Congratulations on your new device! :star-struck:

Our support team has reviewed your results and identified some calibration and testing procedure adjustments that could improve your device's performance. Firstly, it appears that the device was not calibrated after being bought second-hand, testing chamber needs calibration to 10ml. Kindly ensure this calibration is done on your device.

Concerning the phosphate test, while the second value appears more accurate, it's recommended to switch to the low-range test if your phosphate levels are between 0-0.16 ppm. This should provide a more precise reading.

For the Nitrate tests, the issue should now be resolved. The delay in drawing liquid from one of the reagents likely contributed to the problem. Before inserting the nitrate reagents into the vials, please ensure to shake them well initially and then initiate the tests.

We believe these adjustments should address the issues you've encountered. Please keep us updated on your progress. If you face any further difficulties, don't hesitate to reach out. Have a wonderful day.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
I know this was previously address, but I want to echo it. How is 30'ish ml not enough for a test?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230824_053022_ReefKinetics.jpg
    Screenshot_20230824_053022_ReefKinetics.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230824_053013_ReefKinetics.jpg
    Screenshot_20230824_053013_ReefKinetics.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 35

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you. I will attempt the calibration this evening after I get home from work. Where is the calibration procedures as I don't see them in the manual, or does the app walk you through it?

For the Nitrate test being potentially resolved, what was the fix? Was support able to remote into my Bot and adjust settings? First, if that is possible then that is cool as far as getting help, but raises a couple questions about network security and why my systems timings are out vs everyone else's.

Please don't take my questions out of context as a negative, I appreciate the help and hope to get the Bot running smoothly, but I like to understand the process and these questions would probably get asked by other people researching the lab as a viable option.

Additionally, I have submitted a request for the Dev access for access to the API. Hoping to successfully integrate into Home Assistant.

Last edited:

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I know this was previously address, but I want to echo it. How is 30'ish ml not enough for a test?
The majority of users do not input the correct value, and will tend to leave the default full vial as their setting, for this reason, we have made a safe margin of around 45-50% capacity to avoid losing reagents and failed tests. We are currently looking for better ways to address this

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back