Not off to a great start

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am going to do a bit more digging. I refilled the calcium vial when I got back from my trip but it says 6ml right now so I assume that is below the threshold.

My bot is showing as offline though too and my mag test from this morning was unreadable, so something is going on.

Going to reboot I guess and go from there.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I am going to do a bit more digging. I refilled the calcium vial when I got back from my trip but it says 6ml right now so I assume that is below the threshold.

My bot is showing as offline though too and my mag test from this morning was unreadable, so something is going on.

Going to reboot I guess and go from there.
Hello Bill,

It's possible that the adjustment of the vial's volume wasn't saved properly during the refill process, which is why it's currently displaying 6ml only. I'd like to inform you that we've sent a new app update to address several bugs, and this update should be available for download any minute now on the app stores.

Additionally, did our support team reach out to you via email to provide assistance with these issues? We're here to help and ensure that your experience with our device is smooth and accurate :)

Wishing you a wonderful day ahead!

Best regards,

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I adjust my volumes to the correct numbers in the app and when I selected the test I got a message/email stating.
  • You've reached the maximum allowed consumption. Please reset and refill your API Calcium 2 before testing again.
At first I didn't think it was even testing. App never showed the test pending or inprogress. I readjusted my volumes to +20 for the 60ml bottles and tried to run the test and then it told me there was one already pending. App still did not show anything. Tried force closing the app and reopening it, still did not show anything.

Also, I submitted a API request last week and have not heard anything back. If this could be looked into I would appreciate it.
Hello there,

The refilling reagents issue has been reported to the responsible team.

As for the API request, our software team is presently focusing on developing new features for both the device itself and upcoming products. While their workload is considerable, we are hopeful that they will soon be able to allocate some time for integrations and providing support to users interested in integrating the device with other systems.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I specifically asked about the API before purchase, as it was one of the deciding criteria. Also, it is listed on the website as a feature. Are we to understand that this is not yet developed or complete?

Your wording also has me concerned. I don’t want integrations with other systems, I want to use the API to build my own dashboards and was led to believe that that was possible.

Please clarify the status.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Bill,

It's possible that the adjustment of the vial's volume wasn't saved properly during the refill process, which is why it's currently displaying 6ml only. I'd like to inform you that we've sent a new app update to address several bugs, and this update should be available for download any minute now on the app stores.

Additionally, did our support team reach out to you via email to provide assistance with these issues? We're here to help and ensure that your experience with our device is smooth and accurate :)

Best regards,
No, support did not reach out. Hady did via FB.
To be frank, I am not interested in starting from square one with the same troubleshooting steps that have already been undertaken for weeks. I have spent close to $1000 on reagents and testers And ICP. I have calibrated chambers and replaced syringes and needles. Changed the elevation of the device, etc.

Honestly, what exactly is support going to do that Hady and common sense hasn’t already had me try two dozen times?

if support has anything offer other than cleaning and calibrating the chambers, calibrating or swapping syringes or shaking or changing the reagents or checking stirrers, or watching for bubbles and ensuring chambers empty… I am all ears.

I am not being hard to get along with here. I just don’t want to waste anymore time with pointless or feel good troubleshooting that has already been undertaken for weeks. I think we are starting to go in circles here where blame is being cast on reagents and user error to temper expectations and poor results. I don’t arrive at this conclusion lightly, as other users are DMing with the same sentiment and experience. I am still somewhat positive, but hope is fading quickly.

I am going to run one more round of manual tests with numerous kits and the reagents in the bot, and send off 2 ICP tests (ICP-EOS, ICP-MS). I will keep the bot running while the ICP tests are processed. The results will dictate our next steps, as will your answer regarding the API.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am going to run one more round of manual tests with numerous kits and the reagents in the bot, and send off 2 ICP tests (ICP-EOS, ICP-MS). I will keep the bot running while the ICP tests are processed. The results will dictate our next steps, as will your answer regarding the API.

You are running manual test, automated test, and now adding in two ICP tests. Who is going to be the source of record?

Just wondering if throwing good money at it is worth it unless ICP testing has been something you have been doing for a while using the same vendor for historical trends.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello there,

The refilling reagents issue has been reported to the responsible team.

As for the API request, our software team is presently focusing on developing new features for both the device itself and upcoming products. While their workload is considerable, we are hopeful that they will soon be able to allocate some time for integrations and providing support to users interested in integrating the device with other systems.

Thank you, but not sure how much manpower it would take to provide access to the APIs. Hady did say in previous communications I had with him, that API access previously had been provided to about a 100 users, it was and is still working.

Another reason to push for everything to be placed local, then APIs could already be in place and user ready.

I think what RK has not realized yet, is that a lot of people who will go Reefbot, Mastertronic, or GHL versus going a all in one system like Apex is because they like to customize and tailor their setups for their requirements, wanting the best product of each category, etc. Using 5+ apps (1 for return pump, 1 for lights, 1 for wave makers, 1 for dosers, 1 for water tester) is what we are trying to streamline. We make pur own dashboards in Grafana, Home Assistant, Node-Red, etc to provide a 1 stop shop for monitoring and control.

While I'm all for RK innovating and coming out with new products, the focus shouldn't be diverted from the current customer base or providing support to the ones currently in use, especially one that isn't even 90 days since it's release. Your current customers are your advertising for any other products and the RK credibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You are running manual test, automated test, and now adding in two ICP tests. Who is going to be the source of record?

Just wondering if throwing good money at it is worth it unless ICP testing has been something you have been doing for a while using the same vendor for historical trends.
More than likely ICP-MS
and then backed by whatever manual tests appear close and repeatable if and until when I can trust the bot as the secondary source between ICP-MS tests.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
@Reef Kinetics just so you can get a gauge on how much visibility your company is getting here on R2R, please see the attached picture. Me hitting refresh, or clicking on the links do not increase those counts each time. At the top of the page when I come to read the new messages, I can see 1-3 members and a few "guest" that are viewing this thread currently (above the top post on the page). Some of the members have not even commented and are just watching, and those guest are unregistered people who, like me a few weeks ago, are googling and researching the info on the Bot and RK.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230829_151938_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20230829_151938_Opera.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 38

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I specifically asked about the API before purchase, as it was one of the deciding criteria. Also, it is listed on the website as a feature. Are we to understand that this is not yet developed or complete?

Your wording also has me concerned. I don’t want integrations with other systems, I want to use the API to build my own dashboards and was led to believe that that was possible.

Please clarify the status.
I apologize for the confusion. This is indeed available, and we will commence the process of sending the necessary documents to all users who have signed up in the very near future. Your understanding is greatly appreciated :)

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you, but not sure how much manpower it would take to provide access to the APIs. Hady did say in previous communications I had with him, that API access previously had been provided to about a 100 users, it was and is still working.

Another reason to push for everything to be placed local, then APIs could already be in place and user ready.

I think what RK has not realized yet, is that a lot of people who will go Reefbot, Mastertronic, or GHL versus going a all in one system like Apex is because they like to customize and tailor their setups for their requirements, wanting the best product of each category, etc. Using 5+ apps (1 for return pump, 1 for lights, 1 for wave makers, 1 for dosers, 1 for water tester) is what we are trying to streamline. We make pur own dashboards in Grafana, Home Assistant, Node-Red, etc to provide a 1 stop shop for monitoring and control.

While I'm all for RK innovating and coming out with new products, the focus shouldn't be diverted from the current customer base or providing support to the ones currently in use, especially one that isn't even 90 days since it's release. Your current customers are your advertising for any other products and the RK credibility.
We completely comprehend your perspective. Indeed, the service has been made accessible to over 100 users. It's important to note that this isn't solely about manpower, but rather a matter of prioritization. Certain prerequisites need to be in place for each individual involved in this process. I want to assure you that in the very near future, all individuals who have signed up will receive a comprehensive email containing all the necessary documentation, access details, and step-by-step instructions. Your patience during this period is greatly appreciated :)

HadyOsaily

View Badges
Reaction score
That is great news. I better put mine back to the correct settings then :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

From what I can tell, they have been in their FB group, but as of late they are getting much more involved here on R2R. @HadyOss liked the suggestion I had on the "Empty/Purge" capability. He said they were going to add it. I have zero complaints when dealing with RK. They have been pleasant to deal with thus far and seem eager to take in ideas and evolve the Bot more.
Hello! Thanks for reminding me of this, will get on it tomorrow and pm you once set :cool:

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for your reply :crying-face: Don't worry I'll handle it!
I did get an email from support this AM.
They indicate that they think my bot is fine and that I have bad reagents for some tests and contaminated intake water for others.... So, in essence, asking me to try (again) new reagents and clean the testing chambers, etc.

I have spent in inordinate amount of time with manual testing, calibration, swapping reagents, etc. over the last 3 weeks. I am now in the middle of an extremely busy work week and have run out of time to troubleshoot this device.

I sent the ICP tests off and spent 3 hours doing manual testing yesterday evening. I have not even had a chance to look at today's results yet, but will post back as soon as I can.

At this point, the only thing possible left that I can try is purchasing yet more test kits and swapping new reagents (again) into the bot and running more tests. I honestly think that this, more calibrations and more money are all fools errands.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I am going to start a new thread with my final impressions and experience. I will post the link here when it is ready.

TLDR: Neat Idea, but falls very short in many areas and is not a good or wise investment.

We will talk about good customer service vs kindness, the two are often confused.

I had hoped that this would be an overall positive experience review.

Unfortunately I don't really have anything good to report. So much so that I have (unsuccessfully thus far) attempted to secure a refund.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I am going to start a new thread with my final impressions and experience. I will post the link here when it is ready.

TLDR: Neat Idea, but falls very short in many areas and is not a good or wise investment.

We will talk about good customer service vs kindness, the two are often confused.

I had hoped that this would be an overall positive experience review.

Unfortunately I don't really have anything good to report. So much so that I have (unsuccessfully thus far) attempted to secure a refund.
Looking forward to seeing your writeup. I'm have a few more weeks until I'll be able to give a full review since my tank isn't being regularly tested for everything yet since it is still completing the cycle.

One of my biggest issue (other than cloud issues) as of now is the lack of API support and response since requesting it on 24 Aug.

I will wait until I can do a full review, but at the point if someone was to ask me if I thought it was worth it, I'd say no. The premium price for a system that has issues, needs the company to go in and tweak your settings in the cloud(and/or Bot?) to stop errors in testing. A confusing, undocumented and untweakable app. The web version looks better for me. As an example the graph doesn't even work in the app for me.

Hopefully, your writeup will provide some good feedback for them to discuss internally and help the lab evolve via updates. Also, hopefully they will be documented with patch notes and version number changes.

Wish R2R didn't have a time limit on editing post(without paying) so the review could be a "living" review so you could add updates to the original post over time.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hopefully, your writeup will provide some good feedback for them to discuss internally and help the lab evolve via updates. Also, hopefully they will be documented with patch notes and version number changes.
I will touch on that point too...

TLDR - sure they listen, but most of what they can react to are minor cosmetic issues with the app. The larger issue that they are having trouble addressing is overall accuracy and repeatability of results.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
We are sorry to hear this. Our support team has reached out to you to ask and check the issues that you are experiencing but has never received a response unfortunately to investigate further.
As for asking for a refund, the responsible department did not hear from you regarding this. Please refer to our [refund policy], although refunds are not offered for functional devices, you may be eligible for a partial refund if it is determined that you are facing an issue that cannot be resolved. It is recommended that you reach out to [email protected] or [email protected] for assistance with this matter, although we suggest working with our support team for tips and guidance if you are encountering any problems.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I will wait until I can do a full review, but at the point if someone was to ask me if I thought it was worth it, I'd say no. The premium price for a system that has issues, needs the company to go in and tweak your settings in the cloud(and/or Bot?) to stop errors in testing. A confusing, undocumented and untweakable app. The web version looks better for me. As an example the graph doesn't even work in the app for me.
Hello Frank, We would like to take a moment to provide some clarification on certain aspects that may have been misconstrued. Firstly, it's important to note that we maintain uniform settings for all devices, ensuring consistent tests and sequences across all devices are the same. However, there are a few existing editable settings in place. These are designed to offer assistance to users who may encounter specific issues and make them easily addressed, this might happen because our primary aim is to ensure your experience with our devices is seamless and effective.

Thank you,

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We are sorry to hear this. Our support team has reached out to you to ask and check the issues that you are experiencing but has never received a response unfortunately to investigate further.
This is post is more than irritating but symbolic of the entire support experience:

It is a feel good load of BS where you kindly spin your issues into being the fault of the customer.

Your support team told me that my device was working as expected, blamed my source water and reagents and told me to try new reagents, calibrate and try again. That is all I have done since buying your device!!!!

While Hady my not be the official support channel, his advice is exactly the same as that given to me by support.

You folks are good about sending feel good messages, but nothing changes. You say the device is perfect and the reagents or source water are bad and ask to recalibrate. You have an excuse for everything but nothing gets better.

The same exact rinse-repeat fools errand that everyone else having these issues is run through, over and over. My inbox is full of people expressing the same frustration. They can't get stable results, have tried numerous test kits and are told to keep trying, but they are the only ones having issues and the rest of the customers have perfect results and perfect devices.

As for asking for a refund, the responsible department did not hear from you regarding this. Please refer to our [refund policy], although refunds are not offered for functional devices, you may be eligible for a partial refund if it is determined that you are facing an issue that cannot be resolved.
Your definition and my definition of "functional devices" are the issue.

Yes the device sucks in water and returns a result. The results through numerous different test kit brands and batches and recalibrations are not accurate or consistent.

Moreover, I made it clear that my purchase was predicated on the API being available and was told directly via DM that it was. This was a lie.

The telling issue here is the answer to a simple question. What kind of company does not accept a return from a very unhappy customer? If the device is as good and well received as I keep being told by support, then an odd unhappy customer and return would not be a significant issue. In fact, it would be a selling point that the company stands behind the quality and accuracy of the device.

On the other hand, your post effectively blaming me and citing the return policy tells me that company is not actually willing to stand behind the sales claims and instead just wants the money, happy customer or not.

It is recommended that you reach out to [email protected] or [email protected] for assistance with this matter, although we suggest working with our support team for tips and guidance if you are encountering any problems.
Honestly, to what end? More happy talk, recalibrations and a fresh copy of the the return policy?

I was patient for many many weeks. My patience ran out.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back