Not so dwarf hermit crab

SilverGryphon

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2012
Messages
104
Reaction score
63
Location
Belfair, Wa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight I discovered one of my hermits, is not so dwarfish. I saw what looked to be slightly smaller than a golf ball turbo moving around, and when I looked closer saw it was a hermit. Tried to grab it and get a good picture, but it yeeted itself off the back of the rock work as soon as the shadow of my hand passed over it and moved out of reach. It looked like a scaled up red-legged hermit crab, but after some looking online, looks like it is a Caribbean Scarlet Hermit Crab. What I'm finding suggests it is reef safe, has anyone had one before and had any problems with them?
 
You need to put a chunk of food in a jar and catch this one so we can see it!

Big crabs make me worry, but I have heard that some hermits are generally reef safe. Like everything else, they are until they aren't!
 
I'll give it a try next weekend. It is a perceptive bugger, as soon as I started moving the top screens to reach in it booked it down out of reach.
 
Managed to catch the crab up front and snagged him for a few pictures



20260917_233429.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new