Not sure if the nano will work on my tank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I need help here. I bought the nano but I am not sure if it is going to work.

I have the Red Sea max E - 170. This tank has its sump at the back of the tank. The circulating pump keeps the main tank at the maximum level even if the water level drops significantly.

The sump is approximately 4”x 10.5”. I just realized that this ATO only has a float travel of a few mm. That itself will allow the ATO to work but I fear it would be cycling a lot. I go through about 1/2 gal of water a day due to evaporation.

Another thing I am concerned about. Even on the shortes timed run, I think it would overfill.

Am I right on this ? Can this ATO be used in a sump instead of the main tank ?

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have answered my own question (I measured and got a rough guess)

If I put the float in my sump ( my sump is 10.5" x 4" aprox) and if the float travels 13mm from off to on it would add .09 gal to my tank before it shuts down (I use about .5 gal so the pump would cycle about 5 times a day)

The safety volume on an RS Max E -170 is approximately 1.25 gallons so if the time was set to 1.4 min (my lift height is about 48 inches) would only pump in about .4 gal in that time. So if float failed I should be ok since it is not near the safety volume.

However that means if I want to use this unattended my reservoir needs to be no more than 1.25 gallons. Not desirable.

Can I just put a small float on the fill tube instead of a $200 alarm? I really don't want to have to send this back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to to return the Nano and purchase the 3155.
I still am thinking about putting a float valve on the feed tube as a third safety defense :)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely were better off with the 3152. The Nano safety is a timer, in the factory setting the pump cannot run more than 1 min 45 seconds and cannot add more than 1/2 gallon. The 3155 will require modification to work as it is designed for larger tanks, deliberately overfills for 5 seconds and always fills on start up for 15-20 seconds, as a result you need to turn pump speed down to nano and on anything under 50 gallons or with a very small pump, you need an additional valve to further restrict the top off flow so the timed fills do not cause an issue.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the auto aqua smart micro ato. I have been using it for years on a few different nanos. Never had an issue. It uses an optical sensor. Also has built in safety that will not overfill. It will stop filling and also beep if for some reason it runs for more then around 30 seconds. It will also beep to alert you that your reservoir is empty.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely were better off with the 3152. The Nano safety is a timer, in the factory setting the pump cannot run more than 1 min 45 seconds and cannot add more than 1/2 gallon. The 3155 will require modification to work as it is designed for larger tanks, deliberately overfills for 5 seconds and always fills on start up for 15-20 seconds, as a result you need to turn pump speed down to nano and on anything under 50 gallons or with a very small pump, you need an additional valve to further restrict the top off flow so the timed fills do not cause an issue.

Hummm - I feel like a politician and flip flopping all over the place :)

My sump can drop the water level several inches and still function properly (even the skimmer). My daily .5 gal due to evaporation drops it about 1-2 inches. Could I put the eye on the 3155 below the optimal waterline so it will overfill the eye (because of the 15-20 second startup)? I would like that better since the pump would not run as many times a day.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general we want a top off to run many times, this is part of the goal, a very constant osmotic pressure, less variation in salinity. You can make the 3155 work, but the 3152 will be less hassle and frustration.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugg The 3155 is out because of one glaring issue I just read about. When my circulating pump is off for things like feeding, the water level will rise several inches above the normal level. That means I would need to use the small magnet for attaching the safety sensor in a higher location than 29mm. Unfortunately my glass is 1/2 inch and the small magnet is only rated for 3/8". I can already see the grief Rvitko and I don't even have one.

You have been very helpful !!
I have to wait until my birthday Thursday my kids may have bought me a 3155.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily, you can just disable the alarm, safety still works, but no audible alarm and usually on my tank, if I disable the return pump it is just for water changes and I also need to turn off the ATO for that.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally on a small tank I would want both sensors on the same magnet holder for maximum safety.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back