Not sure what this is

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this growing in my sump ever since i got rid of my socks and went with a ReefMat 1200. you can also see it on the bottom of the sump. It is growing on the outside of the fleece, you can see the fleece on the other side of the black grate, so I am pretty sure it is some kind of growth. It is solid, at first, I thought is was some kind of eggs but now I don't think so. I have a 320 gal mixed reef tank and I am finding this growing all through my sump but I don't see it in my tank. I also made a serious mistake of using crushed coral bottom. It is impossible to keep it clean and I am having hair algae problems at the same time. So this could be tied to the nutrient algae problem, just not sure. I have been treating with API Marine stress zyme and it does seem to be helping with the algae. I am trying to decide between switching to bare bottom or a 1" sand bare bottom.

Any thoughts on wh
goo on reefmat.jpg
at is in the pic?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I took my reefmat 500 apart 2 weeks ago and had similar grime on mine as well. It was algae and detrius. cleaned up easy enough

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back