not sure what to get next

Reezee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had an itch to start a salt water aquarium for a while now and ive decided to scratch it. my wife without discussing with me went ahead and bought a 60 gallon aqueon cubed tank and stand from petco to surprise me. put the stand together and was like i dont know if this will support the tank for the long haul. so i got some 2x4's to fortify the inside frame of the stand. i got a wavemaker and a fx6 canister filter and 60lbs of Hawaiian black sand. i plan on getting a rodi system, rock, and salt but what should i prioritize first. i appreciate any and all info.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i plan on getting a rodi system, rock, and salt but what should i prioritize first. i appreciate any and all info.
You will need all 3 to start your tank. Without a rodi machine, you will need to buy water from the LFS, who knows how/if they maintain their equipment, always better to have your own 100%.

Rock is the biofilter on the saltwater tank, rock and flow (so don't forget to get powerheads, I don't see that on your list). Not only is it the actual biofilter, it provides hiding spaces for fish, and also hiding spaces for micro organisms to breed. Rock is vital to a saltwater tank. I run3 tanks, 2 of them run with rocks and flow and weekly water changes, no other filtration methods.

Salt is needed to build a saltwater tank, cannot start the tank without salt.

These are the 3 most important parts of the tank, much more important than a canister filter, most folks would likely say that a canister filter is not very good for a saltwater tank (I am one of those folks), they tend to hold rotting food and slowly increases nitrates over time, so they need to be cleaned out often.

A saltwater tank is absolutely nothing like a freshwater tank, research and quality machines are so much more important with salt tanks.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had an itch to start a salt water aquarium for a while now and ive decided to scratch it. my wife without discussing with me went ahead and bought a 60 gallon aqueon cubed tank and stand from petco to surprise me. put the stand together and was like i dont know if this will support the tank for the long haul. so i got some 2x4's to fortify the inside frame of the stand. i got a wavemaker and a fx6 canister filter and 60lbs of Hawaiian black sand. i plan on getting a rodi system, rock, and salt but what should i prioritize first. i appreciate any and all info.
Read, read, read! Research every piece of equipment BEFORE you spend any money on it. Look at the 'Articles' page on this site. Look under 'General Saltwater Aquarium Discussion' section for articles tagged Beginner, like this one; https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/10-considerations-for-setting-up-your-new-saltwater-reef-aquarium.920/

Take your time!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Reezee

Reezee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need all 3 to start your tank. Without a rodi machine, you will need to buy water from the LFS, who knows how/if they maintain their equipment, always better to have your own 100%.

Rock is the biofilter on the saltwater tank, rock and flow (so don't forget to get powerheads, I don't see that on your list). Not only is it the actual biofilter, it provides hiding spaces for fish, and also hiding spaces for micro organisms to breed. Rock is vital to a saltwater tank. I run3 tanks, 2 of them run with rocks and flow and weekly water changes, no other filtration methods.

Salt is needed to build a saltwater tank, cannot start the tank without salt.

These are the 3 most important parts of the tank, much more important than a canister filter, most folks would likely say that a canister filter is not very good for a saltwater tank (I am one of those folks), they tend to hold rotting food and slowly increases nitrates over time, so they need to be cleaned out often.

A saltwater tank is absolutely nothing like a freshwater tank, research and quality machines are so much more important with salt tanks.
Very much appreciate the info

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test kits and ATO tank. unless you want to add RO water throughout the day by hand due to evap. Could just use a rubber maid garbage can too if you're OK with how it looks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back