Not sure what to trust for CA

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 week ago I calibrated the trident then a day later I changed all 3 reagents. My CA on the Trident has tested really high since Where before I calibrated and changed it was in the low 400’s.

My CA on the following just tested again, and it’s registering high on Trident for a week.

Trident 535
Hanna 426
Red Sea 370

So what gives? Some corals aren’t happiest they’ve been, thinking the CA that high might cause it. But what do I trust?

I guess I can stop dosing CA and see what happens when Trident is in the right range. I read the issues with the Hanna CA checker and following all the instructions, not using distilled, but straight RODI just made at 0 TDS. Maybe I’ll not pay attention to the Hanna since others have ditched it. Maybe I should get a 4th test kit, Salifert for CA?

Have others had this issue and went with Trident no matter what? I just want to go with one test.

Here is the ALK which I think is within the margin of error and am happy with:

Trident 7.78
Hanna 8.1

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should calibrate the Trident 48 hours after changing reagents not before.
The most important thing is consistency. Do not chase numbers and remember that all of the test kits, including Neptune, are hobby grade.

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Messed that up. the Weird thing is some sps corals behaving with strings. Could it actually be that high, Would a CA level of 535 cause issues? i have the old calib fluid. I’ll run that through the Hanna I guess.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back