Not to happy corals. Ideas needed.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals.

For a couple of weeks some of my corals haven't looked to happy.
I have 2 torches that do come out, but polyps seems short. One hammer that have struggled for a long time and just barely opens at all (have tried, different spots regarding flow and light, but seems the same)

I was hoping to list parameters and maybe get an idea or two on what steps to approach that could help.

Tank is hitting 3 month mark, so might just be the tank isn't mature enough for them to really shine.

Parameters:
Temp: 25 C
PH: 7.8-8.0 (night-day)
Salinity: 1.025 SG (34.4ppt)
Kh: 8.3 (Hanna checker)
Ca: 490 (Salifert)
Mg: 1290 (Salifert)
Na: 0.5-1 (Aquaforest)
PO4: 0.02 (Hanna checker phosphate ULR)

Been dosing AF phytomix for a week to see if that would help (acans seems to enjoy it:))

I'm not looking for a magic trick, just things I could try to improve the health.

20210317_124639.jpg

The torches. One has even but thin polyps, the other fatter polyps. Note the thin tips has always been like this, since I got it as a rescue coral, that wasn't doing well at all.

20210317_124649.jpg

Two wall hammers.
The left is looking ok, had it a few weeks.
The right not really opening. Was one of my first corals. Was more open previously, but last few weeks been struggling.

Last edited:

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals.

For a couple of weeks some of my corals haven't looked to happy.
I have 2 torches that do come out, but polyps seems short. One hammer that have struggled for a long time and just barely opens at all (have tried, different spots regarding flow and light, but seems the same)

I was hoping to list parameters and maybe get an idea or two on what steps to approach that could help.

Tank is hitting 3 month mark, so might just be the tank isn't mature enough for them to really shine.

Parameters:
Temp: 25 C
PH: 7.8-8.0 (night-day)
Salinity: 1.025 SG (34.4ppt)
Kh: 8.3 (Hanna checker)
Ca: 490 (Salifert)
Mg: 1290 (Salifert)
Na: 0.5-1 (Aquaforest)
PO4: 0.02 (Hanna checker phosphate ULR)

Been dosing AF phytomix for a week to see if that would help (acans seems to enjoy it:))

I'm not looking for a magic trick, just things I could try to improve the health.
I would definitely ask for some pics to help with the analysis see what they look like!! Personally I like to keep my Magnesium pretty high so my alk doesn’t swing but If that doesn’t hold up I’d try an ICP-test!

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely ask for some pics to help with the analysis see what they look like!! Personally I like to keep my Magnesium pretty high so my alk doesn’t swing but If that doesn’t hold up I’d try an ICP-test!
Updated the post with pics. Forgot to do it.
What level Mg should I aim for 1400?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated the post with pics. Forgot to do it.
What level Mg should I aim for 1400?
I’d say 1400 is pretty good yes!! If that’s not it I’d try an ICP test they sometimes show small trace elements that could be causing a problem unexpectedly!

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say 1400 is pretty good yes!! If that’s not it I’d try an ICP test they sometimes show small trace elements that could be causing a problem unexpectedly!
An easy fix, and can't hurt.
Maybe an ICP test would be a good idea also. If nothing weird is showing up, at least I can rule that out.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically three things to always look at water, flow and light. Of those three, water is the most common culprit. Starting point is how you get your salt water ie your ro/ di system. There are lots and lots of things you are trying to accomplish with your water making. major concerns that you can test (and easy to do) are chlorines, chloramine, tds. Presuming your filters, are working, adequate, and correct for the water coming in. Then you can look into icp, to see what your home testing is not showing you. Of course, water has lots of other parameters to consider. But it’s a start.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically three things to always look at water, flow and light. Of those three, water is the most common culprit. Starting point is how you get your salt water ie your ro/ di system. There are lots and lots of things you are trying to accomplish with your water making. major concerns that you can test (and easy to do) are chlorines, chloramine, tds. Presuming your filters, are working, adequate, and correct for the water coming in. Then you can look into icp, to see what your home testing is not showing you. Of course, water has lots of other parameters to consider. But it’s a start.
My RO filters where new when starting up 4-5 months ago reading 3-4 tds before my large resin filter and 0 tds after.
Additives like chlorines etc. hasn't been used in the country for more than a decade, and I test the water at least once a week.
I'm pretty sure it is not the 'water', but could be a nutrient issue, as my nitrates and phosphates are pretty low: NO3 1ppm PO4 0.01.
I started a week ago using Aquaforest amino mix series, reef roids, and feeding a bit more to raise the levels.

PAR should be around 100, measured with a seneye.

I have send and ICP test, but no results yet.

For now, I'll see what extra feeding/additives will do and watch the levels and corals.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back