Noticed lesion today between pelvic and pectoral fins, ID and/or treatment?

Hausisahouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish lesion2.jpg
I took the plunge two weeks ago and picked up a cheap tank on Fb marketplace, as it caught my eye looking for something to build a vivarium in. Its been 10+ years since I've kept an aquarium. I got the tank home and when I leak checked it outside the bulkheads leaked something terrible. Took me a few days to get the tank fixed and back up, and I have been cycling it again, turbo start, and my tank has been fluctuating between 0ppm nitrite and .5 ppm with ammonia staying under .25. I added some hermits a week ago as well.
Most morning when i wake up the clownfish is tucked vernicle in a corner of the tank, slowly makes his way to the middle of the tank for most of the day then goes up where the return heads are at night. This morning he was chilling in the space between the rocks and the overflow. I noticed a lesion between his pectoral and pelvic fins.
Fish lesion.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you try for a picture taken under white light? A short video might also help. Is the fish still feeding? Is it breathing fast? Any other fish in with it?

I can sort of see a diffuse red area in the white band, is that what you are seeing? This could be a sign of some inflammation - white clowns show show that more than other colors due to the lack of dark pigment. Is it showing on both sides of the fish?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hausisahouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get a better picture and upload it shortly. The fish is still feeding without a problem, his breathing seems normal and he is alone in the tank except for maybe 4 hermit crabs. I went into the LFS and one employee texted another who said i should lower my salinity and raise my temp (sg is 1.0235) It is only on one side of the fish.
fish3.jpg
Fish2.jpg
Fish1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hausisahouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the red area he's kinda slightly transparent, I can see the outline of his skeleton and organs, it shows up more as just red in the photos

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get a better picture and upload it shortly. The fish is still feeding without a problem, his breathing seems normal and he is alone in the tank except for maybe 4 hermit crabs. I went into the LFS and one employee texted another who said i should lower my salinity and raise my temp (sg is 1.0235) It is only on one side of the fish.
fish3.jpg
Fish2.jpg
Fish1.jpg
That SG is fine, but you can lower stress a bit by dropping it to 1.021 or so, the hermits will be fine. I wouldn’t raise the temp above 80. For now, I wouldn’t treat - but watch to see if the lesion grows, if so you may need to dose with antibiotics.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hausisahouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be no change to the spot on the fish, but what I believe is a diatom plume (looks like the hermits are eating it, and I didn't think they fancied diatoms) started while I was out of town for 48 hours. Lights out after pictures, but would it be safe to add some clean up crew to that tank, or wait further to watch this sore.

Attachments

• 20210701_102147.jpg
    20210701_102147.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210701_102545.jpg
    20210701_102545.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210701_102726.jpg
    20210701_102726.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be no change to the spot on the fish, but what I believe is a diatom plume (looks like the hermits are eating it, and I didn't think they fancied diatoms) started while I was out of town for 48 hours. Lights out after pictures, but would it be safe to add some clean up crew to that tank, or wait further to watch this sore.
The diatoms aren’t a concern fish health wise. I can still barely see the pinhole, but it’s been there for almost a week and isn’t getting any worse, right?
Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed it Saturday, so since at least then without really changing one way or the other.
Well, sorry I can't tell you what that is, but it doesn't seem to require immediate treatment....

Jay

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back